Darn Dr!!!!! Need to vent!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
lnbrogden
New User

Darn Dr!!!!! Need to vent!

Postby lnbrogden » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:41 pm

So on Sunday I was in the ER with Hunter, 13 months, because of the stomach bug and diarrhea. It was also a concern that the c diff had come back (foul smell mucousy stools) so I asked him to order a c diff culture. So we've been waiting for the results and I just called the lab. THe darn dr ordered a C&S not a c diff so now we've been waiting on nothing! I'm so irritated! So now I got to collect another sample and wait another 3 days! So frustrating!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:35 pm

You have my sympathy. That is lousy! Arrggh! Is Hunter on any medication? Poor baby.

Before I was diagnosed with cdiff (I was misdiagnosed for a month), one of my early samples was only tested for O&P. which I was told is ova and parasites. It was negative, so no further action was taken, and I continued with endless pain and D. Later, when I got my medical records, I saw that the doc had said to test that sample for cdiff, but they didn't. It's bad enough to have the misery that we get with cdiff, without medical screwups making it worse! And for a little one, who doesn't even understand why he has to go through all this, my gosh, that's awful! Hang in there, it's got to get better.

lnbrogden
New User

Postby lnbrogden » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:13 pm

Hunter isn't on any medication right now since he hasn't been Dx. Previously he took vanco. He had been on Bactrim for an ear infection back at the end of Nov. The GI dr called this morning and phoned in the correct orders. I'm also taking him to his regular dr this afternoon to see what we can get done in the mean time while we wait for the test results.

The poor little guy won't eat and just lays around and wants to be held all day. I can't imagine how he feels and to not be able to verbalize what's wrong!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:48 pm

lnbrogden,
Don't blame you for being upset. How frustrating. And your baby has to suffer! I think I would complain to the lab director.

Seems as though we have to check everything out these days. Very exhausting. I used to think people (especially professional people) knew what they were going. Now, I double check everything.

Check FAQ-Tests. Sample should be in a STERILE (not just a clean) container; 3-day test is best.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:37 am

Inbrogden- If you can coax him into eating yogurt (the kind for kids that taste good) it may help him some. Doctors all need to have cdiff themselves to experience the feeling and they all would change their treatment plans for all of us. I hate your little one is having to go through this. Gingerale through a straw helps settle the stomach! I would call doctor and request nausea meds due to the fact that is most likely why he is refusing to eat. Usually even with a virus docs are more than willing to send out suppositiories for little ones. Good luck and I hope and pray he feels better soon.
Cindy

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”