Disbelieving Doctors

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Disbelieving Doctors

Postby Sheila1 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:40 pm

grrrr I join the ranks now of those with doctors who think this can't still be "it". My doctor doesn't think my continued - abdominal pain, ear ache, headaches, fatigue, nausea (and did I mention occasional pus and odor still?) are still cdiff. Of course, they didn't believe I still had it the last time I tested positive either. I asked him to run some more tests to see what's going on and some blood work (which hasn't been done since I was in the hospital in July); he told his nurse to tell me to see my PCP as there might be something else going on. But it's not cdiff - that's what he told me on my last visit. So I expected the result I got about the tests. There may well be something else going on, but it's not going on without cdiff. My PCP knows very little about it. I will go ahead and see her, I need to anyway...

I called the Infectious Disease medical office here (we only have one) they said they must have all my records and will review them and then let me know if I can see a doctor there or if they will refer me someone else. I did ask the nurse at the ID office if there was a doctor very experienced with recurring CDiff because if there wasn't it would be a waste of my time and theirs. She said yes, albeit reluctantly (like maybe she wasn't supposed to answer that kind of question or something), and I could swear I heard her huff under her breath when I told her the current doc didn't believe I still had it and refused to run tests when I begged him to. They should have my records by Tues.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll get lucky. I'm sure hoping I don't end up having to go to Duke, as they're about 3 hours away, but I know they're very experienced with it and have been involved in some of the trials and such.

Okay, just had to fuss. I could almost wish doctors that don't believe would get a bad case of cdiff....except I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

:(

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:14 am

What a shame Sheila....but you are on the right track now.
It can be endlessly frustrating to get aligned in the medical community with those who are experienced enough to treat relapsing disease. It's too bad you are one of those folks who got caught up in it.
Sometimes patients luck out with the first doc...others go through quite a few. The good ones are out there...just remember that.

It would be great if the ID doc will review and treat. If not, I know you are wise enough to realize sometimes the best way is not the easiest.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”