Testing for C.Diff - the best method and rant

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Lorraine
Brand New Poster

Testing for C.Diff - the best method and rant

Postby Lorraine » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:20 pm

Just getting tested the BEST way for C. Diff is getting to be a pain. Of course the lab wants to do the KIT test. I have done extensive reading about the required testing for diagnosing C. Diff and found it requires the CULTURE for the most accurate diagnosis.

However, we live in an instant world. Most people want instant results; most patients don't have patience.

I, on the other hand, have had these symptoms for 4 weeks, tomorrow and want the best way, not the instant result. Actually I have had these symptoms way before these 4 weeks but didn't know I had them. About 2 weeks prior to a head cold I began having problems with dairy products. Never before did I have these problems. I suspect that is when the symptoms first started to show up. So that mean I have these symptoms for 2.5 months!!! Which means I know where I got this nasty disease - I know the hospital which gave it to me (different than the one which treated me last). In July, I went to that hospital for a different set of symptoms. I later found they were all related to exposure to mold. That is why I believe I got the C. Diff. from that hospital. My immune system was weakened and I was exposed to it there.

So I am putting the pressure on my doctor to do the BEST test, not the easy kit or toxin test.

Anyway, it ticks me off that my doctor and the (new) hospital brushed my symptoms off as being a virus. Although one doctor thought it might be giardiasis. I have had that and it didn't act like this. I should have taken the medication he offered - Flagyl - it would have been a start!

Less than a week later my doctor tells me to stop taking all medications prescribed to me in the hospital because she pronounced me healed! Wow! I wasn't. She sent me for abdominal x-rays and they were normal. So again I must be well. NOT! Everything came back again and worse. I am glad I stopped using those drugs since I read that they can worsen C. Diff and/or cause complications.

Lorraine
Brand New Poster

Addendum to my rant

Postby Lorraine » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:02 am

Geesh I can't believe the jerks at this clinic I go to.

My specimen is all ready. They tell me the procedure is a special specimen container and special instructions. Come and get it the receptionist says.

I tell her I am in no condition to get anything and that there have been two different people there this week to get specimen containers. And now they tell me that was all a waste of my time and theirs!!!

Mind you I was quite clear that I needed to be tested for C.Diff. And my son and my husband took precious time away from work to get these special containers.

Man am I about ready blow a fuse. ARGH!!!

Well my son goes down to the clinic to get their special specimen container. He brings it back and I had a good laugh. The container is the one I have ready in the refrigerator. Thank goodness!!! It takes a lot to get this ready!!!

Well lets hope they find something and I get the medication I need.

Four weeks and counting ... the series continues ... stay tuned ...

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”