More Tests -- Part II

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

More Tests -- Part II

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:54 pm

Had kidney CAT scan yesterday. They gave me barium to drink (in lemon-flavored Crystal Lite - can't "do" lemon because of acid reflux) & contrast dye in IV. It made me so sick, I've felt like I have C. diff. again. Have had many CAT scans, an MRI, lots of endos, tons of X-rays, & other tests before but never felt like this.

The imaging place was very organized -- in and out in a little over an hour. Tech. great -- told me what would happen, etc. She said radiologist would read CAT & get results to my doc. yesterday. When I got home, I called internist's office & said I would appreciate getting results ASAP. Hah!!! Should get result tomorrow -- or the next day -- or the next.

Before l993, I was healthy (except for allergies & an occasional sinus infection).

Since l993, I've had:
C. diff. 2 x (l994-97 & again in l999). Now IBS.
Acid reflux/hiatal hernia
Pneumonia 3x; hospitalized twice
Sinusitis & 2 sinus surgeries.
Asthma for 4 yrs. -- improved.
Polyp in one lung
Possible Lupus (have Raynaud's Syndrome so diagnosis "iffy")
Osteoporosis & recent injured wrist
Osteomyletis lower jaw (oral surgeon screw up), bridges, braces, root canals; IV Vanco. 8 wks.
Severe myopia, torn left retina (laser surgery) dry eyes, chronic infection in rt. eye, cataracts
Bilateral arterial stenosis
Hypertension
Atopic dermatis
Several UTI's & now "mass in kidney." Maternal grandmother & great grandmother died of kidney disease.

I am tired, doctored, & tested out.

Going out to sit in the sun & look at my flowers. Oops, noticed the clouds just came out again. S . .. .! Out to dinner tonight -- hope I can stay out of the bathroom long enough to eat.

On a cheerier (?) note, my wrist feels better so I can start lifiting weights again but have to go back to very lt. ones.

Remember, people who have complications (possibly related to C. diff. but who really knows? ) usually had severe C. diff. for a long time. Some problems could also be related to genetics & aging. 80% of those with C. diff. recover with one to two rounds of med. I seem to fall in the "unlucky" category.
Last edited by Bobbie on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:09 pm

Bobbie
You will pull yourself out of this one as you have been for the past years. Thanks for spending the time and energy on the site while having all kinds of medical conditions.
Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. Good idea about the sun and flowers and the dinner!
Glad your wrist feels better. I am too lazy and too skinny to be doing weights but i am out of shape.
It's amazing how many people you could be friends with if only they'd make the first approach.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Bobbie! have not been able to access the site in days, this is first time can post a reply. You would surely not be surprised to hear how lonesome it is not being able to check in, these faint glimmers of contact, and am very glad to have sunny word of you today. Agree entirely: the contrast is awful, and why would it not be, whatever it is that gets us to glow in the dark.

Thoughts are with you, all the way from this side of the world. Whatever it is, we all are there for you, and know that you will pull through this as you have everything before.

Happy July 4th.

PS, if no word from me, because cannot access. Lauren -- 1000 thanks, super computer wiz. CindyM, MaryT, thanks. By the way, the UK site is looking great, and it looks just like ours, a younger, slimmer version!

PPS. if this posts twice, please delete, it is not yet taking up the thread

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:47 pm

I am so sorry for all that you're going through. You are continuosly in my thoughts and prayers.

Christina

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:23 am

Thx., everyone for your encouragement. Sorry to hear you are having problems getting on the site, Jennie. It is difficult when you can't keep in touch with others who have the same problems because who else understands C. diff.?

I've had CAT scans before but have never been this sick before but this is the first one with this type of contrast. My grandmother used to say

You need to be well to tolerate the tests to find out why you are sick

And my grandmother had a lot of faith in docs.!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:58 am

Gosh, Bobbie, you have enough problems for at least 10 people! Too bad you can't spread them around to 10 mean people and get rid of them (the problem, I mean -- well, maybe the people too)... You don't deserve all this. Or any of it!! What your grandmother said is so true.

I'm continuing to hold healing thoughts for you and send bushels of good vibes your way. Hugs!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:25 pm

Still sick from prep for CAT scan but called & radiologist said that isn't that unusual for people who have GI problems but to call GI if it continues. Called internist's office for results of scan. Doctor is on vacation (of course), but she will call me Thursday. Her nurse did tell me results. "Mass" was a hiatal hernia which doesn't make sense to me as I don't think it's even in same area. Have had hernia for several years, & it's listed in my records. Also wouldn't explain blood in urine so internist will refer me to urologist. Oh, good, another doctor.

I think this is good news. I was concerned (to put it mildly) because of family history.
Last edited by Bobbie on Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Bobbie! Good news indeed! Hope internist gets back to you ASAP, and consult with urologist happens soon. Contrast is awful stuff, some people have allergic reaction to it, but that happens quickly, I think from the IV. And it seems to take days to get rid of it. But, CT a wonder, they see tons of what is going on, and can rule out all sorts of riddles. Hope you feeling better. Am back on site this evening, hoping it lasts. Of course, who else understands! And who else really cares?

Bobbie
Administrator

Update

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Update on my test with urologist. I asked for sedation so he gave me a script for 10 mg. valium to take an hour before cystoscope. Unfortunately, it didn't "kick in" until I was leaving the Med. Center. Test wasn't fun but not as bad as I thought. Finally got results over 2 wks. later -- no cancer cells discovered, but evidently (when he gets back from vacation), urologist wants me to have a biopsy. No thanks! Tentative diagnosis Interstitial Cystitis -- another thing to add to my list! Was on Macrobid (safe antibiotic). He wanted me on it for 3 wks., but it gave me D. so I stopped it.

Am taking D. Mannose (combined with cranaction). Urologist had never heard of it (suggested cranberry) , but another doc. suggested it.

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:32 pm

Bobbie, that IC is another kitchen sink dx. Been there, done that, for me it was c-diff all the time in any event. I did research it back then, last year, there are loads of articles and boards. From memory, it is not helped by antibiotics, and it is of course very important to look and see if it fits your symptoms. They say that various foods set it, like tomatoes? and it is very, very painful to pee. many of the male doctors think, as Freud did about whatever it was he had dimly grasped, that it is an emotional condition.. oh yea, there we go again, women and their hysteria. but it can tested, not easily, but to say there are indicators, sort of fine line cracks, and for those who have it, it is incredily painful.

i had thought you had the bx, at the same time. it means they want you to go though all that again, sedation and the whole thing. uuughhh!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:14 pm

jennie,
I don't have all the symptoms of IC -- in fact have very few. I am not having a biopsy. Enough is enough. Hope you are doing better.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”