Even when it's gone, it haunts you......

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Knitter
Regular Contributor

Even when it's gone, it haunts you......

Postby Knitter » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Sorry, but for the first time, I NEED to vent. My boyfriend's father's birthday is today. He is 85. They all went there for the evening, except of course ME, because they don't want to take the chance of someone getting sick because of me. They were told I no longer have it, all the tests come back clear, but I was not welcome. I am hurt, upset, humiliated and just plain pissed off that C. Diff. is still affecting my life, even after it is gone.

They are all sitting on the balcony at the condo right now watching the pretty fire works, and I am sitting in my livingroom venting to the ONLY people who will understand completely how I am feeling right now.

Thanks for being here when (yet again) I need the support!
Vancocin 250 mg. 4 X daily, Bio-K+, 4 acidophilis pills. IBS, Type II Diabetes, A-typical Menieres. C. Diff. 6X/11 months til May/2006; recurred Sept. 26, 2010.
Take care, stay safe and be happy!
Knitter

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:18 pm

Knitter,
That is lousy, ignorant, and rude of them! I am sending you a big hug, as you do for so many of us: (((((Knitter))))) Know that here you are surrounded by people who care. And who know what it is to be shunned! You've probably seen me mention that I have friends who don't want me around because of cdiff. And it still hurts, and probably always will, that my sister didn't want me there when she was dying. And in your case, you're done with cdiff, and still being treated like an outcast. Shame on them!!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:48 pm

Knitter- I have one suggestion for you----------DUMP THE BOYFRIEND!
If he is non-supportive as a boyfriend he would make one PISS POOR (pardon the phrase) husband! Dear God, it should have been a celebration of your well-being as well as his Father's birthday! Geez, men can be so stupid at times!...........Sorry all you men that read and visit our site but this has been a really bad week for me and I am in just one of those "say whats on the mind" moods!
Cindy

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:22 am

Knitter,
I agree what the heck!!!! He should of had no problem taking you. He spends time with you right? Has he gotten it? NO!!!!!!!!!!! Have him do the research.......... geez.... what a bone head... I would be pissed off too!!!! WEll YOu should try and find something fun to do without him.

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:50 am

Well i fear rejection too but my most fear is someone loved being in the hospital and i would be too afraid to go and visit them. Somehow hospitals paranoy me i know i am a coward but that is how this illness left me with, plenty of it too.

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:06 am

Marcia,
that is another story though. I think I would be leary about going to the hospital too.. WE've had or have c diff and we know the bug is there. But to celebrate with someone. I don't think she is going to go to the bathroom and not wash and then go touch them..lol

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:35 am

Oh my goodness! Knitter i really messed that one up, i started reading and then read the 85 years old part and somehow i thought that your father's boyfriend was sick and everybody went to see him except you. Now i read over and it was his Birthday! Wow that is another story like Diane said. I'm with everybody on that one, i'd have a serious talk with boyfriend and (if he doesn't know yet) try to explain your feelings on this one, he should be more considerate. Sorry you had a lousy day but i am glad we are here to hear you out. Just focus on keeping getting better and better don't waste your energy on them. One day one of them will know what it is to be sick, and only c diff but anyother way and feeling like a leper. Anyways hope you have a better day tomorrow. Cheers!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:25 am

Knitter,
It's their loss -- how hurtful. When my son had C. diff. & I had C. diff. so little was known about it that no feared "getting it" from me, & so no did altho. my younger son was at at risk because of his history.

As long as we practice good hygiene, I would "soft pedal" the "catchy" part. With good hygiene, we protect ourselves & others, & they don't need to know anything else. Let's not borrow trouble. I've never told anyone much about C. diff. --- just say it's a bacterial infection I got from an antibiotic that affected my immune system. The details are none of their business

Like every other new disease, C. diff. can have a stigma. Years ago, people treated cancer patients the same way because they feared "catching it." I would avoid infants & the elderly or ill when you have active C. diff., but not worry about anyone else. Remember, your grand children didn't get it from you, and your grand daughter stayed with you for quite awhile.

The people most at risk are those who live in close proximity -- families, hospitals, nursing centers, day care facilities. In all the years, I've moderated this site (six), however, I've only heard of several cases where family members "caught" it from each other. There has to be a pre-disposition to have it, usually an antibiotic, & sometimes poor hygiene -- in other words, a number of circumstances combined.

I agree -- dump the boyfriend. If he is anything like his family, he isn't worth it. He & his family should have helped you celebrate being over active C. diff. instead of shunning you. Nuts to them!
Last edited by Bobbie on Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:00 am

You deserve better. You are such a caring person. You don't need any of them.
I'd dump the boyfriend and then throw my own party. Fireworks and all !!!

dgervase
New User

Postby dgervase » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:21 pm

Knitter--I don't understand the logic of shunning you. Your boyfreind must have spent numerous hours with you and not have contracted it. Perhaps the fact that his father is 85 and they just are looking out for his well being. I'm sure that they do not understand that you are not contagious anymore. I know if they have any heart at all they would not have hurt you this way. Is your relationship with this man serious? or was it? Cdiff hurts us in so many ways I know. My husband and friends have not caught it from me nor anyone I work with. I'ts hard to find a good man but I am not sure that this one is worth keeping. Stay well.

pottybreak
New User

Postby pottybreak » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:41 pm

vent away Knitter. Sorry to hear how you were treated, that is terrible! I hope your days have been brighter since!

Paolo
New User

Postby Paolo » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:55 pm

As a new kid on the block (and also a dreaded male of the species), I'm reading through all the old stuff trying to learn more about what lies ahead. I've never even thought about anything as crazy as this paranoia, although I can understand it in the name of naivete.

Remember, this is a bug that we all carry. It's usually controlled by the normal flora in our guts. It isn't controlled by the antibiotics that do a number on the rest of the good guys, so it becomes king of the hill. Only then can it wreak its havoc. Some folks have the strains with toxins, some don't.

If I were explaining to a loved (or formerly loved) one, I'd make sure they knew it was too late! 8-p

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:16 am

Paolo,
Welcome to the site. Please don't feel like a "dreaded" male. Because our posters are mostly women, we do take a few "shots" at men -- mainly in the humor section -- but we admire your courage in posting. We have had many other male posters, however.

Sounds as though you have done a lot of reading on the site & are "up to speed" on C. diff. Hope you are feeling better.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”