C Diff after c-section and Newborn advice

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
BeBe23
Brand New Poster

C Diff after c-section and Newborn advice

Postby BeBe23 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:42 am

I recently had my son in July. I was hospitalized for 11 days prior due to preeclampsia. Immediately after giving birth via c-section, I start experiencing watery diarrhea continuously. I was told it was a normal part of recovery. I went home and it got worse. After 10 days of not eating and having severe pain, I was hospitalized again. It took them some time to figure it out and diagnose me with C. Diff after seeing an enlarged colon on a scan and doing a stool sample test.

My son was born at 32 weeks and still currently in the NICU. After being diagnosed with C. Diff, I was not allowed to see him until my medicine was done and had no symptoms. I was put on Dificid for 10 days and was great for 3 week until the symptoms returned. I was recently put on Vancomycin for 14 days and that ended 5 days ago.

Today, I'm feeling stomach pains with loose stools again. I'm so scared. I haven't been able to be around my 60 day old son for 26 days of his life. I can't imagine not being around him for 6 weeks during a tapered course of medicine. I'm losing my mind over it.

I'm assuming others have children while dealing with C. Diff and looking for any advice. I clean my hands very well and clean my bathroom with bleach. What else can I do to make sure I keep my son safe? Can I be around him especially when he graduates the NICU? Has anyone else cared for a baby while dealing with C. Diff?

I really appreciate any suggestions/advice/experience you can share with me. Thank you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff after c-section and Newborn advice

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 am

Hopefully other mothers will reply. But, yes we have had many mothers (and dads) who had babies and newborns and were hit with c difficile. I don't remember any of the infants catching it. I would speak to an infectious disease doctor and ask what precautions you should take with your baby having been in NICU.

Giana
New User

Postby Giana » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:03 pm

So sorry you are going through this. My son was born in September via c-section as well and I am still dealing with c-diff. I am now on my 3rd round of meds. Have the meds been working for you?

My pediatrician and GI mainly told me to just keep cleaning my hands over and over again. I know it’s so scary about the fact that a newborn baby can get this, but it seems it’s very rare and with good hygiene , everything should be okay!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:10 pm

Most babies have c. Diff as part of their normal flora, it's harmless to them and disappears by 2yo.
Mom's can catch it from junior though!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”