Scared of bad days (almost 2 years out)

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
bimelime
New User

Scared of bad days (almost 2 years out)

Postby bimelime » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:49 am

Hey everyone I've been in these forums for a while. I'm 21 and male. I have not taken any antibiotics since the vanco and that was almost 2 years ago. I tested negative (pcr and toxins) twice now but I still get scared like this morning when I was extremely crampy and the pain seemed to move around my insides. Watery D when I ram to the bathroom. I am so scared to have cdiff again and I don't know what I'm going to do if it happens. I'm desperately waiting for my GI office to open to call them but I'm just so overwhelmed right now. Can someone please just reason with me. Tell me it's much more likely to be ibs or something even though the pain is intense. I'm so scared. I dont know what to do. I dont want cdiff again.

healthys
Contributor

Re: Scared of bad days (almost 2 years out)

Postby healthys » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:57 am

Hi Bimeline,

It is most likely not c-diff since you haven't taken any antibiotics for 2 years! Where is the pain in your abdomen? Depending on the location it could be something else, for me it was my appendix. For others , it could be pancreas or gall bladder that can cause these symptoms. Please get an ultrasound or CT scan of the abdomen if the pain persists. Hope you feel better very soon!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:13 pm

Talk with your GI, two years and no antibitocs, it's not likely to be CDIFF. You always want to rule out anything else going on and just speaking with your GI will help.

From someone who had CDIFF again after 5 years, I will like to mention it honestly was not the end of the world. We live with this terrible fear and need to understand as time passes, our bodies do get stronger. I did take antibiotics a few times in those 5 years with NO relapse.
It was the 3rd time that caused the relapse I just recovered from. But I also want to add my ID was on top of it, I was given the right medication right away due to my history and it was an entirely different experience. I am still recovering and dealing with Post IBS but I am working through it.

My point is the fear can take over, and can cause GI issues all by itself. Hang in there, talk with your GI

NanciT

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Bad bowel days happen to all of us from time to time. Especially if you have IBS. Maybe something you ate isn't sitting right. Or maybe you picked up a stomach bug. I know it's hard not to jump to conclusions after having C diff, but as the other posters have said, it's highly unlikely to be C diff after two years with no antibiotic use.

You're doing the right thing by checking in with your GI, but in the meantime, go easy on your gut, maybe take some Pepto, and see how things play out. It may just be a bad day (or a few bad days), as I said. And as hard as it is, try not to stress too much as that will only make your stomach feel worse.

Hang in there. Wishing you well!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

bimelime
New User

Postby bimelime » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:14 pm

I'm in the er right now because of how scared I am. I just got a cat scan done. If it was cdiff and cdiff was giving me symptoms, they would be able to see the inflammation in the cat scan right? Like there would be some kind of sign that it was coming back and not just a real bad ibs flare up right?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:30 pm

A cat scan does not detect c.diff.
If you have only been sick for a day ER might not be the best place to go during a pandemic.
Most likely you do not have c.diff and will be sent home with painkillers.
Also its doubtfull if they would test for c.diff unless your symptoms have lasted 3 days and D was at least 3 times a day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:15 am

Bimelime,
Another vote for probably not c diff.

We all fear having c diff again - I’ve had it 3 times - first time for 4 years. Counseling helps some. Have you sought it?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:04 pm

I would be shocked if it was c diff but are you going to come back to the site and let us know how you are?

LHutz
Regular Contributor

Postby LHutz » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 pm

If you haven't taken antibiotics in the last month, don't take any PPIs and don't have a compromised immune system, it's very likely not c. diff. Before having c. diff, think of all the times you had D and an upset stomach and never gave it a second thought. A CT scan can help diagnose some GI conditions like diverticulitis and toxic mega colon so that's probably why you underwent one, but it cannot diagnose c. diff.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”