Sick Dog

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Sick Dog

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:47 am

Sammy the Dog is sick again. Unfortunately, he is a "grazer" & will eat anything --- including a straight pin on the floor once. He is the only dog we've had who can't be trusted on his own in the yard for fear of what he might eat.

He's had diarrhea & vomiting for several days -- my fav. symptoms. He's on rice, Gatorade, & Flagyl & doesn't like the Gatorade -- first thing edibile (or non) he's ever refused. Of course, I am concerned he has something that can be transmitted to humans.

Hope this clears up soon. Although, I love him & am concerned about him, I am sick of "sick."

kayla
Contributor

Postby kayla » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Ah, poor pup. I am sure it is just as horrible feeling for animals as it is for humans...being sick is no fun for any one or any thing.

I had a cat last year before I got c-diff that was always vomiting. I didn't think much of it when I was well...blamed it on the fact that she was a Russian Blue and they have temperamental stomachs. I had taken her to the vet to make sure it was not any type of parasite...all was fine. So I kind of just blew it off. Once I got c-diff I started thinking, "what if this cat has something that I have caught or what if she is why I can't get rid of the c-diff", so I took poor Russia to the SPCA and have been afraid to get an animal since.

I know dogs get stomach just like people do so maybe your pup will be feeling better in a few days.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Bobbie- My dog when he was young constantly had diarrhea or throwing up. My vet told me to give him kaopectate and it worked. Now that he is older I am told to give him immodium. I love my vet as he is not in it for just the $$$$$$ and believes in giving OTC when he can. As for the upset stomach he put him on zantac.....if you can believe it and he stayed on it for 6 months. Now he is great and rarely has upsets. Poor little Sammy!
Cindy

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:41 pm

Bobbie- Vet also told me to feed him 2-4 tablespoons of plain yogurt per day and he loves it!
Cindy

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:57 pm

Bobbie
Sorry to hear you dog is sick. I am kind of going through the same thing with my cat. She (Casey) has a bacterial infection the doctor believes she has had it for a while. She is on Zithromax. After having Cdiff I was afraid to even give a antibiotic to her. She is doing a lot better..Knock on wood. I have to take her to the vet next week for a check up I am hoping that they tell me she no longer needs to be on the Zithromax because it cost a arm and a leg at $52 a pop!!! I hope that your dog starts feeling better soon! I am sure he will be fine.
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Lauren
Administrator

Postby Lauren » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Since you're all on the subject of pet health - here's one for you all, just for a chuckle. I have a cat on Flovent. Asthma. Can you imagine? A cat with asthma? He has an inhaler of his very own, called an "AeroKat".

He's a great cat, so I give him the medicine religiously and he will get it for the rest of his life, but it does cost a fortune. My medical insurance does not cover cats.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:12 pm

Lauren
Well I do have to say that a cat with asthma...that's a first!! I forgot to mention that the bacterial infection my cat Casey has is a form of "Cat Scratch Fever". When I told my sister what she had she said "I thought that was something only Ted Nugent could get"...lol I said evidently not...lol. I also have two dog's! I love animal's but, were not getting anymore! There sending me to the poor house...but, I love them!!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:55 pm

Lauren- I can tell you one that will make you laugh! My darling dog Jake (the light of my life) is on anti-anxiety medication -------How do you like that? He is terrified of all loud noises and thunderstorms. He is my shadow and very very neurotic...........Man what a monster I have created! But I would sell my house to keep him in meds and keep him healthy!
Cindy

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”