Deconditioned & frustrated about being out of shape!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Rev1119
Contributor

Deconditioned & frustrated about being out of shape!

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:30 am

38-year-old female, almost 14 weeks post vanco.

Hi again! I 've had a LONG period of inactivity (last year I had shingles, pill esophagitis and C. Diff all over a period of 6 months). I am just getting back into attempting physical activity and feel like an invalid. Earlier on I went to the grocery store and walked around with a basket of food for 20 minutes. I left the store feeling like I ran a marathon; incredibly winded and needing to lie down for some time. It's an hour later and I still feel exhausted. I've been told by an urgent care doc recently that I am likely deconditioned...ugh.

For those of you who were sedentary for a while/did not exercise, how did you get back into it? I tried biking and walking several weeks ago (10 minutes on the bike and 7000 steps), but that was clearly too much for me as I got a flu-like illness just afterwards. Help!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Deconditioned & frustrated about being out of shape!

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 am

I have had that happen to me as a result of illness. First, make sure that you are not deficient in vitamins or minerals. For example, if you are low in B12 then that can zap your energy. After illness, especially c difficile, these deficiencies are not uncommon. Check for iron anemia, B12, B6. I was also low on vitamins D and A. Low potassium can also be a problem. I would talk to your doctor about that.

If everything is normal, try walking. You can start slowly and build up stamina. If you can go around the block, do it. If you can only go part way do that. You could also wear a fitbit and count how many steps you take. I started walking and gradually increased the time and distance.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Great advice, thanks! I know for a fact that I am deficient in potassium as I was told so at the hospital; per my doctor's advice I am taking potassium chloride powder, in addition to eating foods rich in potassium. Thankfully, my iron levels are good! And I did order a reliable home vitamin test to check for any other vitamin deficiencies (while I do take vitamins, my IBS-D has recently left me unable to eat a more balanced diet).

Walking sounds like a good plan as I definitely don't think I'm ready for cardio. Hoping to try a few minutes at the local park several times a week :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:43 am

Good advice. Start small and work up. Baby steps.Fitbit good. Use light weights at home. Stretching also good. Increase time for walking and speed.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:23 am

Bananas and potatoes are a good source of potassium.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am

Thank you - this is helpful! I'm in a bad GI flare now so definitely eating bananas and will have some potatoes once I am ready. I'd also really like to try some stretching when I can as I'm not feeling well enough for walking at the moment; calling my GI doctor as I type this for a (long overdue) appointment. I think getting seen/getting the right meds for my condition (bad IBS-D which is even worse after C. Diff) will also be necessary at this point so I can feel well enough to exercise.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 am

When I started taking vitamin D supplements my stool consistence improved. Calcium does that for some people, but you don't want to overdo it. Check with your doctor about taking supplements first.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 am

You should also see a GI to get good meds for your IBS-d. There are some “newer” meds now. I have taken several since PI IBS has exacerbated my lifelong IBS and required constant medication. I am now controlled by meds.
Rita

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:39 pm

I am so touched by all of your kind replies - SO in need of support after all of this and the advice is very helpful, so thank you :)

beth22 - as far as the Vitamin D goes, I'm on a 150% DV supplement but still suspect I may be deficient - I will test on a morning when I can fast (not during the work/school week!) I'll reach out to my primary doctor if I do end up needing a supplement.

Rita - as for the recommendation of a good IBS-D med, funny you should mention that: I just got in with a new GI doctor (my old one is retiring soon and his office doesn't take my insurance anymore). The appointment is not until late next month, but I'm going to try to get in during an earlier cancellation slot. Several of my family members (who also have IBS-D) swear by lomotil, and I'd like to get on something too because imodium is no longer cutting it for my IBS-D after C-Diff.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:08 pm

There are better meds than lomotil. Be careful overusing that. It is an opiate which can become addictive with longterm regular use.
There are antispasmodics and if they are not enough, xifaxan works for some, especially after c diff ( worked for me for 1 year, then repeat course did not work), questran/ cholestyramine bulks stools, Enteragam is a medical food that worked very well until I began Viberzi which is outstanding. These are all options to ask your dr about, depending upon your individual situation and how severe your IBS-d is and what your GI thinks best suits you.

Best of luck!
Rita

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:55 pm

Thank you Rita! I am looking into other meds and may be interested in starting with an antispasmodic - one that looks particularly interesting is levsin since it can be taken as needed and seems to have fewer side effects than bentyl. Will definitely be checking in with the doctor about it.
Just had an emergency session with my dietician who also suggested I get tested for SIBO, since vancomycin was very rough on me.

One very positive thing - my appt with a new GI doctor was not until 2/28, but he had a cancellation TODAY!!! Haven't really been living/working/functioning so this was wonderful news; never thought I'd say this but I cannot wait to go to the GI doctor later :) Thank you again!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:55 am

I took levbid, long acting levsin, on and off for many years until after c diff when PI IBS necessitated getting put on heavier meds.

Let me know how you did at the new GI.

Btw, xifaxan is the medication for SIBO as well as now being used for IBS. That is why my GI had me try it.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm

The good news is, I really liked the new GI doctor - he voluntarily prescribed me levsin SL. He told me to try one tablet before bed just to see how I did. I tried one at nighttime this past weekend when I was still in a crampy/spasm-y flare. The levsin rid of all of the cramping, but it also made me super constipated for almost 2 days.

Being that my" bathroom time" happens early in the morning and that taking 1 levsin at night had a major constipating effect, I decided to take 1/2 a tablet later this morning and see how I fared. Unfortunately, after I took the 1/2 tablet this morning I became quite nauseous for 4 hours or so. Perhaps it's because I just "had to go" and wasn't actually having gut spasms/cramps? (which is, apparently, what levsin is most often used for).

For now I will stick to my usual imodium in the mornings & a blander diet - I made a follow-up appointment with my GI doctor so I'll discuss all of this with him then. Finding the right meds really is a process...

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:11 am

Yes, it is hard. I was prescribed amitryptiline and I did not tolerate it at all. I usually take Pepto when I need something. Hopefully, your doctor will find something that works for you.

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:19 am

Thanks @ beth22! I called my doctor who said I had a bad reaction to the levsin and anticholinergics are now off the table for me (have had issues with others). Sticking to pepto and Imodium for now and will see my doctor soon for (hopefully better) next steps.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”