Young and scared. Needing reassurance.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
bimelime
New User

Young and scared. Needing reassurance.

Postby bimelime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:29 pm

This is my first post and its gonna be a long one so thank you in advance to anyone who reads this and even more to anyone who responds.

Things will be a bit TMI but I really need to get everything out there.

I am a 20 year old guy from Florida. Some time in late may I came down with awful stomach pain and strange trips to the bathroom. Huge loose fluffy stools along with horrible heart palpitations, headaches and nausea. I went to get blood work done as well as stool tests. Blood results came back normal and I got a call saying stool tests were normal too. I went in for an appointment with my GP who wanted to schedule another stool test but I told him I just had one done and didnt see the point. He left the room for a bit when he came back he told me it was a blastocyst hominis infections and prescribed flagyl to treat it as well as a probiotic. I asked him if flagyl had any side effects to worry about and he said nope nothing unless you take it long term. That turned out to be a complete lie as the antibiotic "death in a bottle" practically killed me and I manifested every single possible side effect listed online. Not only that but I didn't know what the effects were because I believed him when he said that the medicine wouldnt cause anything. After 7 days of flagyl and no improvement I called the doctors begging to stop taking it. When I made this phone call I was informed that my GP had passed away 1 day prior. I was freaking out and I was also getting nosebleeds at this point. Just absolutely convinced I was going to die. After more days of WD, stringy B and M in stools I was horrified. I needed answers and the doctors seemed very hesitant and confused about what was happening. I demanded a cdiff test after researching my symptoms and the new doctor reluctantly agreed even though he doubted that's what I had. Result was obviously positive and by this point I was already scheduled with a GI doctor who is absolutely amazing. He gave me the vancomycin prescription and told me that he also thinks its strange that someone so young came down with this. But nonetheless I shouldnt worry because he has seen many cases and knows how to treat it, my age and health has the odds in my favor and I should be fine. I showed him the supplements I had ready (Jarrow Broccomax, Boullardii + MOS, and Allicidin) he told me to stop everything except the boullardii during the vancomycin treatment. Most things cleared with the Vanco and I went back to the supplements after the fact as well as drinking lifeway kefir and easy to digest foods, metamucil powder, IBgard, and beef gelatin. Stools remained loose and fluffy and happen in the morning. Very rarely I will have 2 bathroom trips a day or some very watery D, but this is very rare. Stool quality fluctuates wildly but I have not had a "normal" bathroom trip in almost 8 months now. The abdominal pain continues on my left side almost constantly as well as a twitching feeling in the intestines. I cant seem to pin it to specific foods because some days I will eat whatever and be moderately ok but other days I will feel like absolute garbage no matter what I eat. I am very constantly frightened that I'm still fighting this or that it's going to magically come back. I've had a CT scan showing nothing abnormal and another C.diff test as well as cultures and ova+parasites. The cdiff test was negative and cultures and everything else looks fine. The doctors and nurses keep telling me that I will recover but after 8 months I'm really starting to get discouraged and think that this is just my life now. Will this ever stop? Will I actually get better or is this it? I see so many people on here say that it does get better but they always follow up with something like "it hasn't actually gotten better for me in like 5 years but still. I promise it gets better :)" I really fear that I'm going to be like this forever. Any reassurance is appreciated. I just want to know I'm going to be ok from the people that have been here.

Thank you all so much for reading this.

roy
Administrator

Re: Young and scared. Needing reassurance.

Postby roy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Have you been screened for coeliac?
C.diff does not cause it but sure can make it show up!
Your also about the right age for it to be causing problems.

bimelime
New User

Postby bimelime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:20 pm

I have not been tested for celiac but I was on a very strict gluten free diet while earlier in recovery and it didnt seem to change much, as well as I would have days when I eat gluten and cheese and still dont feel as bad. Thank you for your reply

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:33 pm

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum about the history of the site and the rules of posting.

We cannot diagnose you as we are not medical professionals but can support you emotionally.

Keep posting,

bimelime
New User

Postby bimelime » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Emotional support is what I'm looking for. I hope someone is helped by my story and I just wanted to know other people have had similar situations.

Thanks again guys.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 pm

I do not do well on supplements, including the boulardii. If you are still taking them, you could try stopping for a few days and see if your symptoms improve. I also became lactose intolerant after c difficile and even though kefir is supposed to be lactose free, it did not agree with me.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:52 am

Yeah kefir to me was not good. First the stuff taste like spoiled milk and made me feel awful. Probiotics is literally an experiment. What you can tolerate one month you won’t the next. Florastor was and is the only thing can take like a daily vitamin that doesn’t upset things. Digestive advantage worked well after but within a month I couldn’t take it. There’s a study that florastor taken while on antibiotics can help to prevent a relapse.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”