Positive Experience with Antibiotics After Cdiff

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
smb5118
Brand New Poster

Positive Experience with Antibiotics After Cdiff

Postby smb5118 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:21 am

I am 3 years post cdiff and thought it might provide reassurance to those first experiencing cdiff. The first time I got it was due to taking Cipro and Levoquin for a suspected UTI reoccurance (which was actually post UTI cystitis and never a reinfection - (still mad at the doctor that carelessly prescribed it before performing 2-3 day test). I took Vancomycin and was cured of the cdiff although my digestion has never been the same.

One year later I had to take Flagyl. Another year later I took Amoxicillian and some type of antiobiotic eye drop. Six months ago I had to take Clindomycin. During each treatment, I take the probiotic S. Boulardii. I take regular probiotics daily, which I think improves my overall immunity. Fortunately I haven't had a reoccurance. I'm in my 50s.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Positive Experience with Antibiotics After Cdiff

Postby Machaon » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks for posting about your recent experiences taking antibiotics WITHOUT a C-Diff reoccurrence!

I've taken Amoxicillin numerous times over the years, without getting C-diff, due to constant sinus infections (which are no longer), and heart disease. But... Taking clindamycin caused a C-diff infection.

You have testified that it is possible for an ex-C-diff patient to take antibiotics without a reoccurrence of C-diff. It won't ease my fears if I have to take antibiotics, but at least it gives some hope.

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 pm

I’m with ya McMahon. Living in ohio sinus infections are about as common as white tailed deer. Mine was augmentin and an immune system being run down from tons of travel, also I work in a lot of hospitals and nursing homes....perfect storm. Over the years I took quite a few antibiotics and augmentin always made me feel sick and gave me a queasy stomach, but a zpak never did. I dread the day and am soaking an infected toe 3-4 times a day trying to avoid the doc but know the time will come.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 am

At least there area some people who don't have it come back! Thank you for sharing!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:53 am

My mom got c difficile in her late 80s and she had it recur a couple of times. She had to take antibiotics a number of times later, in her 90s and she never got it again. She took a probiotic daily though since her bout with c diff. Only one a day, but daily. I think it helped. She died this year at age 98, but not of c dificile.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”