Incompetent doctor?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Mmp
Regular User

Incompetent doctor?

Postby Mmp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:57 am

I got c diff from clindomyocin while I was 8 months pregnant. Took flagyl for 10 days and thought I was fine. Delivered a healthy baby boy. Next day I started feeling sick, urgency, not hungry, mucus and knew it was coming back. They tested there in the hospital and said I was positive ( no diarrhea yet but had gone several times) I now know better to wait the 3 day rule. Gave me vanco for 14 days. 6 days later I felt like I had the flu felt super sick and diarrhea had begun. I thought maybe it's a fluke? The next two days I felt better but was having diarrhea 10+ times. I couldn't get in to the gi until and Wednesday and since I was a new patient basically told me to talk to my obgyn who told me start the vanco back up. Finally got in to a go nurse practitioner who basically knows nothing about c diff. I tell her I want to taper vanco and she didn't even know what that was! She had to look it up and we agreed that is what should be done. She then calls me back saying the actual doctor wants to do a fmt! I was excited. It would be in a week. The vanco has been working and I have had no more diarrhea on it. In fact I was a little constipated for a day and then went back to normal. I told her this and now she wants me to stop the vanco 7 days in thinking that the c diff is gone. She also has cancelled the fmt. I am so confused! This isn't normal is it? Obviously the vanco is working because I have c diff. And it's been reoccurring! So why stop me cold turkey? Not even a little taper or anything!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Incompetent doctor?

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm

MMp,
Smart lady to be cautious. See a GI or ID ASAP. Not sure if the NO was in the GI's practice or not. You are probably OK but best to have Plan B ready. Seems rather soon to rush into a FMT?

Let us know what happens.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:25 pm

The NO is in the GIs office. We had discussed doing a vanco taper and then she calls me saying they want to do a fmt. Then today she wants to stop everything the fmt and the vanco which I'm only 7 days into. Her reasoning is that I'm having normal bowel movements on vanco which means I don't have cdiff anymore...

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:55 pm

In your situation I would follow the medical advice but if D returns 3x3 then consider the FMT (directly after another course of vanco)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:40 am

I would definitely NOT stop Vanco in the middle of the course . As far as i know , once you start a course of antibiotics , you complete it ,and 7 days of Vanco is not enough.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

They ended up calling me back and telling me to not stop taking it, which I wasn't going to do anyways. They are going to do a vanco taper. I just feel like they don't know what they are doing so I called another GI office. I'm hoping this taper works but if not want a fmt.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:52 pm

MMp,

Good for u. A reasonable Plan B.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”