Mad and Scared

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Mad and Scared

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:58 am

Hi Everyone,
I am so so so scared! My last dose of vanco was on Jan 21st. I went back to the Dr on Feb10 (I think) about a week after I finished the vanco. I told her my bowel habits were still really funny, I was feeling ALOT better but, that I had day's were I wouldn't be able to go, on a good day I would go once (a very little bit) and on bad day's I would go 3-4 times. She told me that she thought I had IBS and didn't test for Cdiff. I ( being stupid I guess) agreed with her. She put me on Zelnorm for the IBS. I got it filled the next day. I read the side effects and one of them was Ischemic Colitis well that freaked me out so I didn't even bother taking it. Well I think it was like the end of March I went like a little over a week with loose stools and couple of watery ones, well I chalked it up to something that I ate or drank. Well at the end of April the same thing happened again and it seemed like it was getting better and it did for the most part. Now I am not so sure that what I have is in fact IBS because it is just not going away. I am really scared, I know that I have to call and make a appointment to see her. I am just really mad at my self for not getting the test done because if I would have this my not be happening to me!! I am also MAD at my dentist for giving me that stupid Antibiotic (Clindamycin) FOR NO REASON...just for preventive measures!!!
I know that I cant change things but, I wish I would have never taken it. I am really really scared, and advice or support you can give me will be appreciated
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri May 26, 2006 11:23 am

HEATHER
I know how you feel. Stupid doctors are always give antibiotics! I thought the Zelnorm was for the constipated version of IBS. I am currently only on the Cholestyramine and probiotics and my stools are loose. Im so sick of hearing its IBS. I will wait for awhile to do the c-diff test or at least until im off the Vanco for 14 day which I have a week left.. How long have you been off it? Maybe call and request a test.

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri May 26, 2006 11:48 am

My last dose of Vanco was Jan 21St. I went back to the DR on Feb 10 because of my bowel habits had kind of gotten strange and she told me that her gut was telling her that it wasnt the Cdiff that it was IBS and she didnt bother to test me. I agreed with her, only because I was eating and feeling so much better. Then in March I started having problems and they just seem to continue. I should have had her test me that day, I am really kicking myself for not doing it. I am really freaking out, I am trying my best to stay calm and I keep telling myself that everything is going to be OK.
Heather

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri May 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Are you having diareah? If it gets to bad maybe go to the ER and tell them you'd like to have a test ran. For the last year my stools are always changing everyday.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Heather28,
Nicole is right. Call and insist on a test for C. diff. (See FAQ-Tests for hints on the most effective tests, false negatives).

Many people do develop IBS after C. diff. You can usually tell the difference with The Three-Day Rule (See FAQ.) Remember, this is not a sure-fire medical a test, but a rule of thumb. If you consistently become worse, call your doc. asap.

Remember, C. diff. is hard on the GI tract, and even if you don't have IBS (a "sydrome" -- or group of symptoms), it sometimes takes a long time to return to "normal." For your peace of mind, however, get the test!! It is your right as a patient to insist on one.

I hope you are seeing a GI or an ID. Remember, we rel all "scared" about C. diff. Don't allow the doc. to make you feel this isn't normal.

penny
Brand New Poster

Postby penny » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:33 pm

Heather, are you better? I just signed on the support group and feel the same way. I am really interested how you are now? I have had cdiff since beg July. Penny Svenson

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:19 pm

Hi Penny
I am doing alot better. I have IBS now thanks to CDiff but, I will take it over CDiff any day. I still have really bad day's with IBS but, I am starting to get use to it. At first it was awfull but, I think that it just takes time for things to heal and repair themselves. I am now almost 7mons CDiff free but, I had alot of scares along the way. It is along and bumpy road but, sooner or later things get better and I think I am finally at that stage. How are you doing? Thank you for checking in on me. You can PM me or E-mail me anytime if you would like to talk. I will be glad to help in anyway that I can.

Heather
Heather

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”