Hospital Drs' Indifference to CDiff Concerns

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Dukiemom
Contributor

Hospital Drs' Indifference to CDiff Concerns

Postby Dukiemom » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:41 am

In 2015 I was active on this board and I truly don't know how I would have gotten through so many relapses and a life-threatening weight loss before recovering on Dificid without the board.

Due to this traumatic time, I carry the list of antibiotics found on this board (in order of preference) from former cdiff patients. I religiously share it with all of my healthcare providers and every one has happily added it to my file.

This week my first diverticulitis attack since cdiff appeared and I ended up in the ER and then the hospital. I was confident that since I had my handy, dandy antibiotic list that I could knowledgeably consult with my hospital docs to come up with a protocol for the diverticulitis that would put me at the least risk for cdiff.

Fat chance! First, there are so many different doctors who come through. The attending, the residents, the surgical teams, in 2s and 4s. It is hard to connect with anyone sympathetic who has the final prescribing authority. One doctor may listen and look at the list and suggest a protocol that seems reasonable and will put me at less risk for recurrence, and then 2 hours later another group comes in and says that person has no authority and seem skeptical of my concerns. In the end I was told that they were giving me an antibiotic in the high risk category and said "we" would deal with the cdiff if it came up. I desperately tried to explain that if it came up "I" might not be able to get rid of it easily or that my insurance company might not approve the cost of a particular treatment that works for me. On discharge I was handed my meds. It was the high risk one. And now I wait. Again.

Just venting. Thanks for listening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Hospital Drs' Indifference to CDiff Concerns

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 am

Do you have a doctor outside of the ER that you can call and speak to? I would call whoever treated you for c diff before and explain what happened before you take the high risk antibiotic.

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 am

Thank you for responding Beth22.

Yes,I do and I called him enroute to the ER. We spoke and he said he had total confidence in the entire staff at Duke and I was in good hands. I asked if he didn't want to get looped into the decision-making to advocate for me and he begged off. His response was that everything is fine now because Dr. Amy Bartow at Duke is now doing FT and if I get cdiff "we will be able to handle it better than last time". While I never wish Cdiff on anyone, I don't think folks would be so cavalier about getting this if they had ever had it.

I am out of the hospital, on Augmentin, which is beating the hell out of my insides, and putting me at risk. I thought since Dr. Bartow handles diverticulitis AND cdiff, and my gastro guy mentioned her, I should probably get hooked up with her. Called to schedule an appt (so if I get cdiff I can call and say I'm in the system as a patient) and they refused to give me an appt. unless my former gastro guy releases me.

Then, like everyone else, I am exhausted and have no energy left to fight the system.

Maybe tomorrow.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Unless there are complications most people I know receive a Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis. Cipro is lower risk than Augmentin. If your gastro guy won’t intervene, which I find incredible, will your PCP help?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am

Cipro is what triggered my c diff. I was told that after Clindamycin, the fluroquinolones are the worst.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:02 am

The fluoroquinolones, which include Cipro, have recently been the subject of heightened warnings by the FDA:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... ar-adverse
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:18 pm

We have to differentiate between c diff risk and other medication risks. I don’t believe my role is to decide the correct medication to advise. I will always refer to the list of medications by risk category on our site in the CDI section. Augmentin is high risk and Cipro is middle of the road.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Hospital Drs' Indifference to CDiff Co

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Dukiemom.

I remember you and am glad the site helped u.

I agree with your frustration with docs. Even those in the same field, and often in the same practice, seldom agree. It helps if you can get 3 opinions and go with the majority - sometimes difficult with insurance. Remember, docs give an opinion - sometime right, sometimes wrong,

As u know, few emphasize with c diff. -unless she/he has/had it. It is an ugly infection that drains the sufferer (and sometimes the family, physically, emotionally and financially.

Your list helped u before, so stick to it. Any antibiotic can contribute to c. Diff but use a lower spectrum one if i works against an offending organism.

Keep posting. Welcome back but sorry for th circumstances.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 am

I would ask an ID doctor which antibiotic is less likely to cause c diff, but as has been mentioned, almost all of them can cause it.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”