At a loss... When will I feel normal?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
KatieW
New User

At a loss... When will I feel normal?

Postby KatieW » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm

I guess I just need to vent and know I'm not alone in this roller coaster. I got c diff post antibiotics back in April. I went untreated for 2 whole months after my PCP and GI said it was IBS. I even had a colonoscopy which came back as "just some inflammation" and no biopsies done. I also lost 15 lbs during the first two months because of the diarrhea and inability to eat too much. Switched to a new PCP, and she immediately ordered a stool culture and called me within the hour with a c diff diagnosis. I was furious, relieved (doctors kept telling me IBS and anxiety), and confused. Treated and no c diff after one round of vanco (thank God!).

I have a new GI since because I have yet to return to normal (always a 5 on the Bristol chart, sometimes 6 if I eat regrettable foods). As of lately, I have been having lower stomach cramps. I called my GI and they ordered a c diff culture just to be on the safe side. It came back negative (yes!!), so they put me on a low fodmap diet for IBS. The pain is still there, intermittently, and I still burp constantly. I also had a culture done for inflammation which came up borderline high and was told that's normal. I had a laprascopic procedure done for other reasons and they noted slight inflammation in my intestines as well. My GI doesn't think it's concerning enough to follow up on, but I know it's the cause of the ongoing loose stools.

Any non medical advice on how to get the inflammation down? Anyone else have issues this long after? Do I go back to totally bland foods again? This feels like it's going to be my new "normal" and I'll never be able to enjoy my favorite foods again :-( oh and dairy is out! Worst pain ever after milk. I can live without that though!

Positive note: I did gain back 7 lbs! Woo hoo!

On another note: just found out my husband and I are expecting our second child! :) The cravings are SERIOUS and I can't give in because it hurts after. It's also elevated the indigestion and heartburn (worth it lol) but momma wants a break!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: At a loss... When will I feel normal?

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Recovery can take time, post iBS is very common and getting back to "normal" may take more time than most think. Now they you are pregnant( CONGRATS!!) hopefully slowly you will see things improve. I would stick with a bland diet when you are not feeling well, and then add foods as you improve.
Talk with your OB, its really important to get all nutrients while pregnant and if necessary have them refer you to a nutritionist.

You may also consider having the GI talk with the OB and work together

Congratulations again!!

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:33 am

Congrats on your recovery and pregnancy!
I want to echo everything NanciT said and add a few things.
Unfortunately I had a rocky recovery with a lot of post IBS. There are a few other things you can do in addition to eating bland during the worst attacks. Try lactose free products, especially milk. You do need your calcium. See if that helps. It is readily available. It is common for people to become intolerant to dairy after c diff and have difficulty with sugar, red meat and fried foods as well so avoid those and add them later, slowly.
If your drs agree you may want to try lactaid tablets to digest dairy so you get enough calcium, but I would try the milk first. That’s an easy fix if it works.
There are medications for spasms should they become necessary but you would need to speak with your OB. That is where the collaboration between your drs comes in, as NanciT suggested.

Good luck and know this is a typical recovery. Hopefully you will get through it quickly!
Rita

KatieW
New User

Postby KatieW » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you both so much! It's reassuring knowing I'm not alone here. I'll definitely have a talk with my OB and see what kind of plan we can come up with to make sure I'm getting everything I need. Also, thanks for the congratulations! We are over the moon right now! :)

I considered a nutritionist before and had a referral, a my PCP said since I gained weight, she didn't think it was necessary now. I'll bring it up to my OB instead and see what her take on it is!

Ready to get off this roller coaster and get back to feeling like me again! :) Wishing you both well!! Thanks again for your opinions and eyes for listening ;) ha.

KatieW
New User

Postby KatieW » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:58 am

Oh yeah, I did cut out dairy! I have tried lactose free milk and almond milk now. I limit any cheese intake, and I've given up any fried foods. I have had maybe two cups of coffee since this all started (far from my 2 cups a morning before haha).

It's amazing what's out there now that actually tastes good but is dairy free! I found some amazing ice cream that is dairy free! :-P helps with the cravings!

My poor mom has had IBS for as long as I can remember. I always took care of my gut and body so I never got sick like that (besides pizza, which is my acchiles!), so I guess it's just time to amp up my gut health and wait this out!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:01 am

If eating bland food stops the discomfort then that's what you need to do!
You would not put the wrong fuel in your car, food is the body's fuel.

KatieW
New User

Postby KatieW » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 am

I eat pretty bland already, and still try to get all of the calories and servings of everything I need in a day. Trust me, my whole diet has changed in the last few months, and moreso the last few weeks. I didn't start having cramps and pain up until a couple weeks ago. It was just loose bowel movements once in the am. Now it's cramps on top of that. But as everyone has been saying, it'll take quite a bit of time to heal. I'm now trying anything I can to help my body heal even more :)

Bwise
New User

Postby Bwise » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I feel so sorry for you I know exactly what you’re going through my seed if his back only after two weeks I feel horrible I feel like a small child and I just wanna Cuddle up in a ball and lay in my bed why didn’t the first medicine they give me work I’ve never had this before I took vancomycin for 10 days

KatieW
New User

Postby KatieW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:10 pm

Bwise, so sorry you're going through this! I'm beginning to notice how misunderstood this rotten illnesses can be. I luckily do not have it anymore, but the side effects have lingered forever. I hope you find comfort and healing soon!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”