do you think asympyomatic carriers shouldnt swim at public pools ..

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
denizz
Regular User

do you think asympyomatic carriers shouldnt swim at public pools ..

Postby denizz » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello everyone ..if you are healty no D and you know you are a carrier would you swim at a public pool ?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: do you think asympyomatic carriers shouldnt swim at public pools ..

Postby Ajs » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:55 pm

I’m definitely following this one! Im currently 9 weeks into recovery. I have NOT been tested to see if I’m a carrier, but I worry about this same issue. Not just the public pool, but other things as well. Im certainly a much better hand washer now, but what about the shower in our home that my wife also uses? I’m also anxious to learn about the responsibilities of carriers. Also, would it be advisable for one to test just to know if they are a carrier? I don’t mean to jump in with more questions and no answers. I just thought it would be good for this to be on the same thread.

Also, this may do better if it were moved to the “general questions” category? Hopefully an admin will chime in. I’m still a newbie :)

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:16 pm

C diff does not swim out of you! It is transmitted from feces to mouth or hand to mouth. It needs fecal contact.
Many people carry c diff and never know it.
If you do not have d and are not ill you should go about your life and practice good hygiene. One would hope if you are have problems with control of your bowels under any circumstances you would not be swimming in a public pool.

Passing c diff to family members is very rare. Again, it is not passes by casual contact. Good hygiene is always key.

This question would probably get more responses in questions about c diff.

Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:32 am

C.diff is a very common bacteria that lives in soil, its found everywhere, including swimming pools, rivers, even in sea water.
Emphasis on VERY common!
Over thousands of years humans and the rest of the animal kingdom developed immunity to it.
Then, along came modern man with his modern medicine, artificial food additives and antibiotics!
Lifesavers against serious bacterial infections, and they clear up acne and minor inconveniences as well.
What nobody realised is that they would also disrupt the cocktail of protective bacteria that stops c.diff and many other nasties from becoming a disease.
If someone with normal, healthy gut bacteria swallows c.diff it does not become a disease.
It will live inside them for a while, multiply (but not to the extent that it causes a disease) and then pass out its "puppys" so they are picked up by the next host that swallows them and the cycle starts again.
All that is normal and if your a carrier or have active c.diff you do spread spores and a multitude of other potentialy harmfull bacteria, yeasts, funguses, and viruses in your BMs.
Someone with a normal gut flora will not be made ill by any of them.
My point it that carrying c.diff is not a disease, it's a normal condition.
C.diff is a bug that is recognised as a problem if it makes sick people sicker, not a primary cause of frequent illness.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”