Just Looking for Support

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
jvanhorn
Brand New Poster

Just Looking for Support

Postby jvanhorn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Hello,

I'm a 26 year old female who was diagnosed with C Diff following an unrelated antibiotic treatment for my wisdom tooth. I've been popping on this site for answers and would really like to feel less alone.

When I returned to my doctor to tell him of the symptoms i'd developed after my wisdom tooth infection I was turned away and told it was most likely a "stomach bug" and to wait it out. A few days later I wound up in the ER, severe pain you name it. I was promptly started on 7 days of Flagyl after a positive C Diff sample at the ER. By day 5 I was starting to feel better eating a tiiiiny bit more than normal but something was still off.

Fast forward to today, 5 days post Flagyl and the excruciating pain, mucus and running to the bathroom are back. I saw my GI today who refuses to start treatment again until I provide a positive sample which is a little difficult considering I'm just off Flagyl and the C Diff is just starting to work itself up again.

I'm tired, feel alone and I haven't felt like myself in weeks. I just want support and to know this can go away. I've just recently left my job to start a business I've been working SO hard to make a reality. Every night i'm going in to keep working on my store and I'm fighting so hard on barely any food. I'm really scared right now. I just don't want to wait until I wind up in the ER again before I get a positive result for C Diff again because it definitely wasn't cured with 7 days of Flagyl. I've been trying to be positive, I could just really use some support and happy stories of recovery right now.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Just Looking for Support

Postby OCmama » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:10 am

I would submit a test again and push for Dificid (Fidaxomicin). You WILL get better, you will get your life back, it just can take awhile and lot of advocating for yourself. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:34 am

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you are going through this and had to find us. If the D has continued, get the sample in, my concern is if you have been on flagyl is's possible the test can be affected. Call the GI back, let them know how ill you are feeling. If you get no response and symptoms continue, go back to the ER. Request Vancomycin or Dificid, they are more likely to give Vanco due to cost.

Hope things improve soon

NanciT

jvanhorn
Brand New Poster

Postby jvanhorn » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:06 pm

Thank you both SO much. Samples came back in positive and I’m starting Vanco today. My fingers are crossed.

Thank you for running this forum as well. I can see it helps so many!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:03 pm

If you have started Vanco, you should see improvement in a few days. Go easy on the diet, bland foods right now as you are getting through this. Most take a porbiotic, Florester is the one most often used. I took VSL#3. If you are taking one, make sure to time it hours from the Vanco
Kefir is also something lots of posters have taken.

I hope you feel better soon!!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Your GI should know that flagyl in no longer recomended for c.diff, far too many relapses!
Also the treatment regime was a minimum of 10 days of flagyl 500s 3x a day so your short course was highly likely to end in a relapse.
Now your on vanco your symptoms should resolve soon.
One thing to remember is the only proof that it's gone is that you dont have symptoms, if you test to see if it's gone your very likely to get a positive result and an inexperianced GI might want to treat.
Only symptoms say if you need treating again.

jvanhorn
Brand New Poster

Postby jvanhorn » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Thank you both. I started Florester last night thanks to your recommendation!

I thought the treatment period was much shorter in comparison to other stories I’d read. I was so certain it didn’t work. I’ve never been in such crippling pain. Broke my fever last night and I was actually able to get some sleep today. So it already seems as if the vanco is going to work.

I’ll be sure to watch my symptoms carefully after I finish this treatment to avoid any unessesary extra medication. I’m praying this doesn’t come back. I’m so sorry you all have gone through this too. I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

DebJS
New User

Postby DebJS » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:20 pm

If you are still not eating much, you may want to see if kefir works for you. It has a lot of protein in it, as well as the good bacteria.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”