Complaint/Vent

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Complaint/Vent

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:50 am

Hello All! It’s been a while since I posted and I guess I’m posting today as a “vent”. It’s theraputic in a way for me. I’m 3 years out from my c diff infection(yay!) yet it still highly affects my life. My gut has never been the same. I still get many random bouts of diarrhea that my doctors are sort of baffled by. Apparently this is just my new norm for a while. I’d say the diarrhea happens, on average, once a month or two months. Only in the morning hours and is usually after a combo of stress and bad food. The weird thing is, I can tell when I’ll have a bad morning the second I wake up even before the cramping starts. My body will feel sort of cold all over. Like being clammy without the fever. It never fails when I have this sensation that the nightmarish morning of D Is to come. My GI thinks I have PIBS but he also wanted me to get a colonoscopy to rule out anything else since I had weight loss at the time which isn’t now not an issue so I didn’t go through with it. He’s a very old fashioned doc and wouldn’t give me anything for IBS but some 20some year old drug that slowed down my gut but made me so drowsy I couldn’t take it. I know I should switch docs and try a new drug but I’m just feeling so defeated. I feel like most others just slowly get better over the years and here I am just continuing this awful monthly cycle. And every time it happens I get so “woe is me, I’m dying, etc, etc”.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Re: Complaint/Vent

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 am

I hit “send” too soon! I wanted to add that I feel defeated bc I’ve tried changing my diet and reducing stress by: regularly going to therapy, taking a SSRI(which I still take), taking probiotics, and cutting out dairy. Does anyone have any new suggestions that I’m not considering?? Someone suggested acupuncture and a chiropractor but I hate to throw money into a bunch of things that might not work just bc I’m desperate. Thank you all for reading!!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Complaint/Vent

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:09 am

I think it is well worth the time to find and new GI for a second opinion.
When symptoms persist, going through the testing is important. I changed GI's several times though the first year of CDIFF and the post issues which have been ongoing for me.
It's been a journey but slowly things improved. There are some Good meds for IBS, I used hycosamine which is an old drug but helped a great deal. I still use it now 3 years later when my IBS flares up.
I always go back to "bland" when this occurs which helps. In my case, I was treated for a year and feel it was harsh on my gut, recovery has been long.
I do also feel alot of GI's don't understand the after effects. Many of us on the site participated in a study about the "after effects" of CDIFF and it was just posted on the site, they plan to release all the findings.

It's listed under the title" Participate in study"

NanciT

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”