4 months later

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
CorgiGal
New User

4 months later

Postby CorgiGal » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 am

Hi everyone, I am 25F who had a month-long bout of C.diff 4 months ago that was cleared with one round of Flagyl (though I reacted badly to Flagyl, I hope to never have to take that horrible stuff again).

I'm just feeling very discouraged today. After 4 months free of C.diff I still don't feel well and don't have the stamina I used to. The good days outnumber the bad days now, but the bad days are, just that, bad. I have had D once a day for 3 days in a row and I feel achy, hot and flushed (but no fever), and worn out. I am in my 4th year of veterinary school and on a stressful rotation that requires 10-12 hour days, and yesterday had a feeling of heaviness and like I might pass out for 2 hours and had to sit down. I was shaking very badly, my insides just felt very sore, and my mouth was dry as could be. I am kind of scared because this is how my C.diff started 4 months ago. Although I haven't been officially diagnosed by a GI, I highly suspect I have some degree of IBS and some food intolerances post-C.diff, but can IBS really cause you to feel faint and painful? Can anxiety exacerbate GI issues this much? I was feeling fantastic on Monday and Tuesday, almost like my old self again.

I am on an anti-anxiety med and it's helped, but when these GI issues happen over 2-3 days I get exhausted. I just don't know how I am going to have a good career in such a stressful profession. I've wanted to be a vet all my life and I feel like it's being taken away from me by something I cannot control.

Thank you for listening, I just needed to vent and I know that there are people on this site that have had C.diff worse than me and know what it feels like.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 4 months later

Postby NanciT » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:23 pm

I always mention getting checked out again post CDIFF if issues continue.

Make sure nothing else is going on and if it is IBS there are medications that can really help.

I took one called Levsin on and off post CDIFF for months. Take a look at your diet and see if you have any triggers in all of this.

As far as your career, this WILL improve, you will get better. Don't give up on your dream because of this illness

See your GI, get treated and you will be a GREAT VET!

NanciT

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:26 pm

CorgiGal,

I can at least say that I relate to how you feel, so you're not alone there. :)

I'll be five months out as of Sunday. Overall, I don't feel sick, but I still have issues with the restroom (actually more C than anything) and food intolerance. It can really test your patience, especially when it's uncomfortable or when a bad spell lasts for extended periods. I won't lie that I tried half a piece of a food yesterday and had gas issues from the afternoon til 5am!

I have had issues with feeling hot at night, but then, it's Florida and has been over 100F lately. Our AC isn't up to par and can't keep up with cooling the house. I can absolutely say that IBS can cause all kinds of symptoms and can be painful. I had it before CDI, still have it after. Worse to deal with now, even, since I can't eat the foods which used to help me with it. I can't take the most of the meds for different reasons, either. As well, anxiety can totally make your GI tract go out of whack. That's why it's so often advised here to get those issues under control.

I was tested for issues of Crohn's and the like before my CDI results came back, so I was a pretty easy PI-IBS diagnosis. If you haven't been diagnosed with it yet, then Nanci is right, probably should visit your GI again just to make sure. If you do have nothing other than PI-IBS, well, it's not uncommon. Doesn't make it easier to live with, I know, but at least it can get better. PI-IBS is also famous for mimicking CDI, except it comes and goes where CDI only gets worse.

I think the food intolerance problem may be partly my fault. I stopped eating so many of my foods during CDI and the Vanco treatment and have stuck closely to the BRAT diet with a few bland additions. Now, my guts are unaccustomed to those foods I used to eat, and I'll have to slowly get them accustomed again.

Keep at it with your career. The puppies of the world need a good vet to take care of them! ;) Don't let things be taken away from you if you're capable of pursuing them still. I made that mistake, letting things be taken away, and I regret it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:44 pm

If you are feeling like you are going to pass out, you should call the doctor. Your electrolytes could be off or you could have some other type of infection. I felt that way after c diff, but I had another pathogen called campylobacter. It made me feel like that too. Even an intestinal virus can do it. If it happens again or you don't feel better, call your doctor at least and explain what is going on.

CorgiGal
New User

Postby CorgiGal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:43 am

Thank you everyone for your kind replies, I really needed to hear some positivity :)

I went to the doctor yesterday again just because I felt very unwell still (my professor decided to send me home early because of how I was feeling) and my bloodwork came back looking really good, except that I was dehydrated. I guess the last two days had been so busy that I was neglecting my fluid intake. I also have had to eat lunch at 2 or 3 o'clock the last few days which I think threw my GI tract through a loop as well. After a night's rest and drinking TONS of water/gatorade I feel better. My NP didn't see a reason to do a stool test. I just have to be better about planning out water breaks and lunch time during my rotations, I think. Pre-C.diff I could go long periods of time without eating or drinking, but I guess my body is still pretty fragile even 4 months out and I need to be better about taking care of it.

On the upside, I did get a prescription for amitriptyline to try out, as it seems to help some people with their actual IBS symptoms while also hitting the anxiety.

I've wanted to see a GI for a while, but appointments are several months out, and it's extremely difficult to plan around my rotations. All of my C.diff treatment was handled by my wonderful NP who has had experience with treating it in the past. I think I should just make an appointment, and try to work it out with my rotation at the time.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am

Good to hear you were checked out, but I agree about making that appt with the GI. Glad you have an NP you have faith in but she is not a GI and if you are dealing with after effects of CDIFF it's important.

Also try "Smartwater" for electrolytes, I found myself able to drink plenty of that. They may need to monitor your blood work for awhile and I required supplements for a short time. That's why a GI follow up is a good thing

Glad you are feeling better

NanciT

CorgiGal
New User

Postby CorgiGal » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:41 am

Thank you for the recommendation, I finally got a GI referral, and will be seeing them the beginning of October! Since I am still only going once per day, and usually my symptoms are bearable by taking my workday slow and being careful about my fluid and food intake, I doubt they would place me at high priority to see me sooner. It's like I am getting better 0.001% every day with a few backslides, but I am worried about my weight as gaining weight has always been difficult for me and even moreso now after C.diff, and hopefully the GI will have a few tips for me.

I am going to try out my amitriptyline script in a few days and I have been doing some reading about slippery elm bark for reducing GI irritation, so maybe one of those two things will help me in the meantime. I did complete a 55-hour work week this week, something three months ago I would never have thought possible for me again.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:18 pm

I think the amitriptyline is a good idea and has a good chance of working for several reasons.
Eating small more frequent meals is also a better idea than trying to eat big meals.
And I will reiterate what NanciT said about Vitamin water, or Gatorade or Powerade, with or without sugar, so you get more electrolytes.

Rita

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”