Go with your gut...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Cmurph
New User

Go with your gut...

Postby Cmurph » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 am

This post is mostly to vent, and to tell people that if you don't feel what you dr is saying seems right, get a 2nd opinion!
I am a 34 year old female who was on augmentin and then cephalexin for strep throat and a sinus infection. I made a follow up with the physician's assistant towards the end of my treatment to make sure all was healing well. I informed him that I thought the meds were giving me stomach problems and he said I'm a good candidate for c diff. He did not tell me it was anything serious but said I should have a stool test done.
When it came out positive, I had stopped having diarrhea, just had some minor belly pain. I was informed that I needed to take yet another antibiotic... my now sworn nemesis flagyl. It gave me severe neck pain, arm pain, headaches and burning in my ears. Once I realized what was happening I stopped taking it and called my dr's office.
The next day, I get a call from the nurse. She says"he doesn't want you to stop taking the meds, theres not too many that can treat this." I said I wouldn't put it in my body ever again and told her I had already thrown it away. She said "Oh dear" then read his message to me "she needs to take the meds or she will die"
What?! What kind of person says that to someone!
I was blown away! I had done my research, most of it on this site here! I know flagyl isn't considered the first med to use anymore! I know theres other meds! And I sure do know a mild case can't kill you and can be balanced out naturally by your body!
I went to the emergency room to speak with another doctor (it was the only way I knew I could speak to someone right away). I am so glad I did!
Not only did this dr have a better bedside manner, but he was well educated in c diff! He assured me that I am far from the threat of death, told me I was doing right by myself with probiotics and diet, and said I could absolutely try to let my body heal itself. And he even gave me a script of vanco to take home with me just in case I didn't get better. He said all my positive test proves is that I am colonized, that doesn't mean it will flourish.
I was never so grateful in all my life! And I can thank this site for that! If I hadn't informed myself I would have gone with what that p.a. told me...
This is truly an important place for education to anyone affected by this disease!
Get educated and go with your gut! (Pun intended)

roy
Administrator

Re: Go with your gut...

Postby roy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Its the Dr that needs educating!
Far too many Drs simply look at a test result then use the internet to find out what med to give (on outdated med sites), they dont look at the whole picture and dont keep up to date with current treatments.
Theres many millions of people colonized with c.diff and unless it causes symptoms it's best ignored.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:20 pm

"She needs to take the meds or she will die."

Whoa! I seriously hope you ditch that doctor after having heard that. Death from CDIFF is quite rare and usually related to a secondary condition the patient has/old age/immunocompromised/etc.

Too bad you can't keep that ER doctor as your physician. He sounds like a good guy to have on your side. If I'd caught his name, I would look it up just to see if he practices in office somewhere.

Hope you feel better, anyway! At least you have the Vanco script if you need it, but I'll hope you never do.

PS: The crazy doc's line is somewhat amusing. Ask a few people here and they'll tell you Flagyl's side effects felt like death!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:42 pm

The original GI that I saw should never have treated me either, but I took vanco because he scared me by saying I might lose my colon. Another doctor that I saw years later because I kept relapsing advised me to get my colon taken out. I ditched both of those doctors. Had I done better research in the beginning, I would never have taken the vanco. I would have treated with probiotics first and seen if my body could have recovered. I think vanco did me more harm than good, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Kuro
Contributor

Postby Kuro » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:01 pm

I am with you, Beth. Everyone in my case, even the GI, originally felt certain I was dealing with IBS. The only thing to come back positive on all of my testing was CDIFF, so it was treated with Vanco, maybe unnecessarily. I often wonder how differently things might've turned out, as I think he dosed me based on the test results.

Had I been better educated at the time, I probably would've refrained as well, at least for a little while. The GI and his nurse (especially) unfortunately made this sound like a hazmat zone condition despite being a mild case, so I was scared into treating first and researching later.

These boards have helped me to learn a great deal, including the importance of being assertive in my care. Had I not been, I'd have recently taken ABX unnecessarily for an incorrect test, but speaking up got my case and test examined by another set of eyes.

Cmurph
New User

Postby Cmurph » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 pm

I agree with both of you, they make it seem like life or death right from the get go.They scare you! The problem is we are too quick to put medicine into our bodies and not let it fight for a little bit first. I have learned that lesson for sure! It will take a lot for me to take another antibiotic! And I am currently on the hunt for a new doctor!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”