Need to Vent - Feeling confused

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
sdem
Brand New Poster

Need to Vent - Feeling confused

Postby sdem » Thu May 17, 2018 12:03 am

I am a new poster. I am so happy to have found this group. I am a 33 yr old female. In January I had what I thought was bad food or a stomach bug. I was going to the bathroom several times in one day and there was blood in the stool. I ended up going to the ER where they told me I had colitis, I was prescribed an antibiotic from the ER which I finished. They referred me to a GI dr. who then had me do a stool sample and she told me I have C-diff. when the GI dr got my lab results showing I have c-diff she put me on flagyl. I finished that and again my lab came back positive for c-diff. She then put me on 10 days of Dificid and I still have c-diff. She wants me to start a 6 week vancomycin tapering. If at the end of the 6 weeks I still have c-diff she wants me to see an infectious disease dr. I am so upset and so confused. I do not feel sick. Occasionally i have some discomfort in my stomach. TMI...My stools are different daily, firm, soft, firm and then soft all at once. Diarrhea is rare and the blood only happened that one time in January. This is so hard to deal with. I have so many emotions and feelings. I really wanted this to be over. I was a little frightened when she mentioned the Infectious Disease Dr. I do not know what to do or what to expect. Would you get a second opinion at this point?? Would you just start this 6 week tapering?? Would you skip the tapering and go straight to the infectious disease dr??

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Need to Vent - Feeling confused

Postby beth22 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 am

Hi sdem and welcome to the site - Please read the first forum for information for new posters. I understand your frustration, but I would not jump into treating if you are not having classic symptoms. If it were me, I would probably see the ID doctor first and ask him or her about doing the vanco taper. It could be that the Dificid did its job, but you are still testing positive and might be for a while. I test positive on PCR now for almost two years, but have not had D and have not treated. The hospital that tests me follows the PCR with an EIA test that shows that I do not have an active infection. You can be colonized with c difficile, but not have an active infection and an ID doctor would be the best person to discuss this with.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 am

Drs are not supposed to test to see if its gone (There's no test for a cure).
Doing so results in an inexperienced Dr overtreating just because of the test result and not letting your natural immunity finish the job.
It can also result in a Dr NOT treating because the test was done during the window where active c.diff is gone but remaining spores have not germinated.

ONLY symptoms indicate if you are cured.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:25 am

I would definitely get a second opinion as it sounds to me like you are being over-treated. If the D is gone and you are feeling better, then I don't think that you should be taking any more meds. It's so mind blowing the inconsistencies among doctors when it comes to c-diff, and the patients have to suffer because of it.

sdem
Brand New Poster

Postby sdem » Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you..I have made an appointment with the ID dr. but they can't see me for 2.5 weeks. SO until then they want me to follow what the GI dr told me and take the vancomycin taper. :( The lady I spoke to when making the appointment was a little shocked to hear that I have zero symptoms but still testing positive. I hope they get my records from the GI and get me in a little sooner. In the mean time I will continue to do my research and read posts from this group. Its all been very helpful. Thank you all again.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”