Many questions!!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Neelz
Brand New Poster

Many questions!!

Postby Neelz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:51 pm

I was first disgnosed with c.diff when i was 18 in 2016. I thought i just had the stomach flu really bad, but my father had just had c.diff from antibitoics so they tested me for it just incase. Sure enough i was positive for c. Diff. I took flagyl 4 times a day everyday for 14 days & it seemed to work. Although my stools never returned normal (they are always loose) i felt a lot better. Then in february of this year, 2018, i was having a lot of blood in my stools. No diarrhea, just the usual soft, mushy, piled stools. I went to my family physcian to see what was up with the blood in my stools. They ordered stool sample & i tested positive for c diff again. I was put on flagyl again, 4 times a day for 14 days. The day after i finished the flagyl, i started feeling naseuas & had watery diarrhea. Thinking because i had just got off the antibitoics that it was the stomach flu. But the naseua & water diarrhea lasted for 4 days. I called my doctor, did another stool sample, stool came back positive for c diff. This time i was given vancomyocin taken every 6 hours for 10 days. I finished the vancomyocin anout 2 weeks ago. A few days after being on that antibiotics i noticed blood in my stool again. But i felt fine & didnt think much of it. Though i was having soft, mucus like stools, almost 7 times a day I thought i should get in with my family physcician again. She sent me to see a GI & the GI didnt think it would be c diff because im not having profuse diarrhea. He ordered a test just incase & it today it came back positive for c diff. Again. The next option is the antibitoic difficid or fecal transplant. The city i reside, currently no pharmacies carry difficid. So we are trying to figure that out. Why is this reoccuring to me?? Or did i never get rid of it? I heard c diff can stay in you months after treatment. Has anyone else been diagnosed with c. Diff with loose stools but no diarrhea?

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Many questions!!

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Neelz, welcome to the site. Please take a look at our guidelines for new posters, first entry on the intro page, when you have a chance.

Blood in stool isn't typical of C. diff. It doesn't sound as though the GI dr whom you saw addressed the blood issue, only the possibility of C. diff. I would want to get some answers about the blood if it were me. As for C. diff, its main symptom is watery diarrhea several times a day. Sometimes people have what's called post-infectious IBS following C. diff, which can cause loose stool. My suggestion would be to ask the family dr for a referral to a GI dr who specializes in C. diff, who may be able to sort out the different issues you're having. We can't advise why your symptoms are recurring, as this isn't a medical site, just a support site.

Others on this site will probably weigh in with some suggestions as well. One of our senior moderators knows a lot about testing and positive/negative results; hopefully he can shed some light on that specific question.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:52 pm

I had a horrible case of c diff and will be getting tested for relapse tomorrow. Anyway, my first symptom was mucus and blood. I barley had diarrhea until I relapsed, but my bms were covered in mucus. So to answer your question , yes, you can.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:16 am

Yes, I was diagnosed with loose stools, but lots of M and B.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:13 pm

You can have blood and mucous in your stool with c diff but also with other Bowel diseases. That’s why a good GI dr will look at all possibilities so you get the correct treatment.
Some people become colonized with c diff after having the infection and continue to test positive so you have to be treated based on symptoms as well as lab results, not lab test alone. I would be careful about being treated for c diff without watery d if it were me...it sounds as though your dr’s first instinct may have been right and reliance on test results is not the best based on most recent literature, but that is just my opinion, not medical advice. If it were me, I would get a second opinion from someone with expertise in c diff and make sure this is not IBS or something else.

Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 05, 2018 6:39 pm

Agree with Rita. If symptoms continue, get second opinion. Best of luck.

Neelz
Brand New Poster

Postby Neelz » Wed May 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! Since being on dificid my stools are more formed, but varies from almost watery d to loose stools. My last day on dificid is tomorrow. I will certainly check with my family physician if I feel something isn’t right.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Going 7 times per day with mucus and blood is definitely diarrhea. I hope this is the last time you deal with C. diff! Can I ask what state you are in?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”