So frustrated!!!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Megs717
New User

So frustrated!!!

Postby Megs717 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi everyone,
I finished my course of Flagyl on Wednesday evening. By Saturday, my stomach started to hurt and I was using the restroom constantly. No D, just a constant soft BM. By last night, I knew something wasn't right. Of course my doctor said to schedule an appointment this week to come in, but I knew I couldn't wait. Glad I went in when I did. The ER doctor came into my room and told me by WBC was around 17,000. This time it was different - it was painful. I feel like someone is twisting my insides into knots! Sharp pains, weak, etc... Anyway, the ER doctor consulted with a GI doc and they gave me Vanco (4 times per day for 2 weeks) and I was supposed to see the GI doctor before that prescription ends, as to work out a taper plan. They sent me home as the rest of my bloodwork came back perfectly, so they thought starting my meds is the best way to go. Vanco was FAR easier to tolerate than Flagyl, and even after one pill, I felt a little relief. The sobbing has stopped at least. I just took my second pill with a little yogurt, chicken noodle soup and some pedialyte. It wasn't perfect, but it was something and holding in fluids/food does make quite a difference in how you feel. The aching in various parts of my body hasn't stopped. Any else get an awful backache w/this? Good lord, my back and hips are killing me. As for my frustration, well if C Diff wasn't enough, I am mad as hell that my original doctor sent me home w/Flagyl, 500MG 2 times per day, for 10 days. The ER and GI doc said that wasn't enough. Either way, I go into the GI doctor tomorrow morning to discuss and hopefully this is the last time I have to deal with this. I also have an appointment at Mayo on March 13th which I'll still go. I am kinda sick of being the guinea pig with doctors that aren't super familiar. Gosh you feel like this will never
end. I've missed SO much work!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: So frustrated!!!

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:15 pm

I was always able to work when I was on vanco and hopefully after a few days on it, you will feel better too. Mayo is a good place to go and I hope they come up with a plan for you. Feel better!

Megs717
New User

Postby Megs717 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:46 pm

Beth,
I planned on going back to work on Wednesday. Maybe Thursday if I am still a little under the weather, and I can go in Saturday to catch up if I fall too far behind. My coworkers have been great, picking up some of my slack and also letting me walk them through various things over the phone. I go into the local GI tomorrow morning (Des Moines) and then to Mayo on the 13th of March. Never been so excited to go to a doctors office in my life. This group has helped a lot - I am so grateful to everyone that's helped me realize I am far from alone!

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:45 am

Hang in there. I've heard a lot of good things on Mayo, wish I was closer to them, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Megs717
New User

Postby Megs717 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Roxanne wrote:
> Hang in there. I've heard a lot of good things on Mayo, wish I was closer
> to them, I'd go in a heartbeat.

Roxanne,
I am so excited to be seen there. I told the local GI this morning that I planned on being seen there, and I think she was a little offended. Obviously that wasn't my intent, but I just want someone familiar. Vanco has worked well/quickly for me. She redrew my blood this morning, and it went from 17,000+ to 7,000 in 24 hours. Hopefully by the end of the week, i'll have an appetite again and no D.

abroad
New User

Postby abroad » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Same here. Got put on flagyl. Made me so nauseous I could not even keep liquid down...while taking high doses of zofran every 4 hours. I stopped this morning and I am still way to sick to eat. Lost 20 pounds, bedridden, can't take care of my daughter, husband has to stay home. I am furious. I really hope I'm going to tolerate Vanco enough to be able to eat simple things because 14 days of no food is no joke at 85 pounds.

I know how you feel with the food, you feel so much better when you eat anything, even if it is only some chicken broth or some warm mashed potatoes.

I really hope that you feel better soon. Vanco is way stronger, so I am positive that you will feel better soon! Also consider a good naturopath to heal your gut after this mess is done!

bocdrt
New User

Postby bocdrt » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Did the Vanco end up working for you? I'm exactly where you were, no D but the hip and back pain, oh my, and the cramping everywhere after I eat. I feel worse than before and have been off Flagyl for a week.

Did you get re-tested at all? I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow but I thought you have to wait at least two weeks after finishing the antibiotics to not get a false positive?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”