Urine Culture Results

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Urine Culture Results

Postby okaylo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:32 pm

I got my latest urine culture results back Sunday. My doctor informed my via email they were negative. I requested a copy of the results and got it yesterday and they read: "Single organism less than 10,000 cfu/mL isolated. These organisms commonly found on external and internal genitalia, are considered colonizers. No further testing performed."
I asked my doctor about it and he said "For a urine culture to be positive, it has to grow out >100,000 bacteria. Your urine was underwhelming - it only grew out <10,000 or 1/10th the amount. Your urine test was essentially negative for any bacteria from your urine." So I guess this means it's just the normal flora found on the genital skin... I also spoke with the nurse when I told her I wanted to do a repeat culture and she said it's normal and not bacteria. I spoke with a friend who said they've had the same results before and it's normal and then I looked it up and it says "In the process of collecting urine, some contamination from the skin is frequent. For that reason, up to 10,000 colonies of bacteria/mL are considered normal. Normal values are negative if less than <10,000 colonies/mL." I still cannot let go of it and want to go drop another urine sample today. I want the results to read "NO GROWTH" like they have before and it's like my mind will not rest until they do. I cannot manipulate my body to make it have the results I want, I know that. But that is how I feel. Has anyone else had this result before?

roy
Administrator

Re: Urine Culture Results

Postby roy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 pm

You have to trust your Dr.
Also this is a support site for c.diff and not a medical site or a site that can comment about urine test results.
The human body is far from sterile and there's more bacteria in and on you than there are people in the world.
You would almost certainly test positive for staph, strep, Salmonella, MRSA, E.coli and loads of other bugs including many clostridia species but not need treating.
Your test results are normal.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:07 am

I agree test is normal, but if "you can't let go, ask for another. Be sure and follow the "clean up" instructions on the alcohol cleaning sheets.

Again I think u are Ok , but questions on medical tests should be addressed to your doctors. We do not have medical training.

I think "atta girl" is appropriate.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 am

"Clean catch", "mid stream" is best.
But you do get some strange looks from the fishermen!

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

Okaylo,

Just sent you an email

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”