Ongoing Bladder Issues

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Ongoing Bladder Issues

Postby okaylo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:52 pm

I had a UTI at the end of November. I took a 3 day course of Macrobid and after treatment, several cultures have come back negative. Since the UTI, I have had ongoing bladder irritation and symptoms that seem similar to a UTI. Close to 3 weeks ago, I developed an external yeast infection in which I used Monistat topical cream. The Monistat provided temporary relief but did not fully knock it out. Because Monistat is only supposed to be used for up to 7 days and I wasn't finding full relief, I stopped and called my doctor whom told me I needed to be re-evaluated. In the meantime, I started my period so I have not been able to go back to the gynecologist yet. I have an appointment tomorrow to be checked out again.

Has anyone had symptoms that mimic a UTI while they've had a yeast infection whether external or internal? I do not want to start the testing cycle for UTI over again as I have had 7 or 8 cultures since this all started back in November. But I am also petrified of what is going on. This past weekend, I did an AZO strip which showed a slight purple speck on it. I freaked out and did another strip 30 minutes later which came back negative. I did another strip the following morning and one 3 hours after that. Both of those were negative. I don't know why the first one had a slight speck on it, maybe it was a faulty strip, maybe the yeast infection affected it or maybe it had to do with my period starting a few hours later. I am trying to believe these negative strips but the fear of getting another UTI and having to take antibiotics again is nearly unbearable. The irritation from the yeast infection is definitely playing into my symptoms so I have held out this week and have not retested via culture especially because I'm on my period and I don't want anything to affect the test. Many people have told me to not test out of fear and that 99% I don't have another UTI. It's hard to put it out of my mind because the symptoms are so similar. My primary care told me that my bladder may be irritable for some time following the UTI. I also shower a lot and I think that might have an affect too. After having cdiff my fear of not being clean enough is at an all time high. My 2nd FMT was done in October 2016 and I am still terrified of cdiff and have let this fear define me for so long. I am in therapy and while I was doing quite well for a while, the UTI set me so far back and the patterned behaviors started again.

Any thoughts?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ongoing Bladder Issues

Postby NanciT » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Any antibiotic can throw off normal flora and you can get a yeast infection. If the cream did not take care of it, talk with your MD about Diflucan. This can be something that comes and goes. I was on and off Diflucan until things settled down. My OBGYN felt the flora was off due to months of Vanco and Dificid.
NanciT

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am

Thanks NanciT. I have never had an external yeast infection before and have been off all the cdiff antibiotics for over a year. I think it was from washing too much and from wiping too much from urinating all the time from the copious amounts of water I was drinking. I have no discharge and the internal swab has come back negative. Just an external issue. Spoke to my GI today and he said Diflucan should be safe as it affects fungus and should not have any affect on colonic bacteria. I’m just hesitant to put anything oral into my system. I’ll wait and see what the gyno says tomorrow...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:36 am

I thought you mentioned you had been on an antibiotic recently for a UTI. Diflucan has been discussed on the site often, you can look it up in the search bar. We have had many posters going back and forth with UTI symptoms/vs/yeast infections. As far as the timeline, it varies. I hear from several posters from 1-2 years ago. For myself, it's been 3 years. Fortunately, the UTI/Cultures have been negative but symptoms persist on and off.
Check with your OB, they can also do additional cultures if necessary
NanciT

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I have some suggestions that I do not care to share with everyone so I will PM you.

okaylo
Regular Contributor

Postby okaylo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:19 pm

NanciT, yes I was on Macrobid for 3 days the first week in December and took probiotics while on antibiotics and have been taking them ever since. Went to the gyno today. No indication of yeast infection anymore. Skin appears to be irritated and dry. Was told to reduce showers/washing and give it time to heal. Over compulsive washing has been an issue for me during and since cdiff with my hands as well as the rest of my body and even my hair. All out of fear of not being clean enough and having gotten in the routine of extreme hand washing from being sick for so long. It has become the new normal and the the cycle is very hard to break when the anxiety is so prevalent. I now realize that I washed myself right into this problem to begin with but at the time it felt like normal behavior. I went to my primary care today as well. The urine dipstick in the office was negative but they are sending the urine out for a culture just to be sure. My primary care told me I need to cut back on the fluids and that because I'm urinating so often I'm wiping more often and causing further irritation. He told me as long as I'm peeing every 3-4 hours I'm flushing everything out and I don't need to literally be peeing every hour. I'm headed back to counseling as I feel myself regressing.

ResearchGrandma, thank you for your suggestions. I think I just need time to cut back and heal.

Best wishes to you both.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:11 pm

Hang in there, this is alot to deal with and sometimes...it just takes time.

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”