Always Doublecheck what a Doc's Receptionist Says

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

Always Doublecheck what a Doc's Receptionist Says

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 01, 2006 3:29 pm

Always double check what a doc.'s receptionist tells you.

I called the nurse at my doc.'s office re. a possible UTI early Friday afternoon. She is good about calling back but didn't so I doublechecked with the receptionist who said the nurse was there. No call.

No call this morning so I called again, The nurse called back and said she wasn't there on Friday. I should have called the triage nurse. The receptionist should have told me this.

There are four women docs. in this practice. I've had good experiences with three of them. Guess which one has an opening tomorrow? (I refused to see a PA.)

To say I am "bummed" is an understatement I had a UTI two months ago. I have renal arterial stenosis (narrowing of the arteries to the kidneys), scarring from unidiagnosed UTI years ago, and my grandmother and great grandmother both died of kidney disease. My worse fear, however, is that if the infection isn't caused by E. coli, the doc. will want to put me on a stronger antibiotic than Macrobid. After having C. diff. twice (once for four years), I am Vanco. resistant.

Friday, I see a dentist for the final touches on a root canal, and I have an appointment for my 89 year old mother with an audiologist another day. What a fun week!

Always something!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Mon May 01, 2006 9:28 pm

Bobbie- Why don't they just say "Take a number!" It is ridiculous how doctors overbook and can not take in emergency cases. Geez, what is the world coming to? Remember when we could call our doctors offices in the morning and see them the same afternoon? I guess my age is showing by saying that for sure!
Cindy

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 02, 2006 12:53 pm

Saw internist & liked her this time as she was thorough. I gave her some info. on C. diff, and she said, "Oh, yes, there are so many more cases now."

There was blood but no white blood cells (indicating infection) in sample. Will wait for test for bacteria before taking antibiotic although she gave me a script for Macrobid. Said it could be something structural and might need to see a urologist. Why not? I need yet another doc.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”