Having a rough few days

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: Having a rough few days

Postby justme » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:56 pm

It's been nearly 5 years since C. Diff for me, yet I still experience bouts of IBS. I'm never quite sure why. What did I eat that may have caused it? I try to eliminate obvious culprits, but sometimes I have no problems with eating certain types of food and other times I do. I was taking probiotics and eating yogurt for awhile with no problems, then they started bothering me, so I stopped. But, the bouts of IBS still occur and they are sudden. I keep a food journal and write down everything I eat every day. It's become a habit now. It helps to narrow in on possible triggers (like the ice cream I ate last night), but sometimes the reasons remain a mystery. My step-daughter will be visiting from North Carolina next week and I want to be able to enjoy her visit without worrying about being away from home when a sudden episode of IBS occurs.

I don't think the worry about taking an antibiotic ever leaves. I always take strong probiotics whenever I need to take an antibiotic as a JIC measure and that makes me feel like I am at least being proactive (regardless of whether they'll cause IBS or not). It's comforting to know we are not alone in this struggle, but I don't think the worry of a recurrence ever really leaves.

My description of C. Diff - The annoying guest that won't go away.

Aloha nui loa to all of you.

Anne

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am

I am so glad I saw this. David, I am only 5 months out from my 2nd fmt very similar to you and still having more off days than good. I actually have had something happen to my immune system and basically in a perpetual state of flu/fever/body rash/mouth sores/skin blisters/pink eye. I have no idea what keeps happening I was dx with hand foot and mouth over a month ago and still having symptoms. My stomach can not seem to handle pain relievers or fever reducers which gives me D. Up all night til 2-3am with D then getting to sleep for 2-3 hours then working all day. I’m exhausted. The holidays are coming up and all I can think about is how I can’t eat anything. I have to plan to eat before we go... toast and mashed potatoes festive enough??? It’s depressing. The stress from work and the holidays are already getting to me... I think I have a ulcer (bloody bms gas pain etc).
I really hope it turns around for you. You seem to be a little better off than I... tho you didn’t mention anything about your diet so you might still be bland like me.
Chin-up!

How I describe cdiff: isolating and draining.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Zapper, I'm so sorry to hear you still have these symptoms.

I wanted to let you know that bloody BMs are nothing to ignore. Have you talked with your doctor about all of your symptoms? If not, you should, ASAP.

If the blood in your stool is due to stomach ulcers, that's usually more of a black color because the blood has traveled all the way through your digestive tract and has had digestive activity on it. Red blood in the stool is usually from further down. Either way, it's really important that you get this checked out.

Has your doctor looked into whether or not you have an autoimmune problem in your gut? Inflammatory bowel disease like Crohn's can cause issues from the mouth (sores in the mouth are one symptom) all the way to the other end, and you have mouth sores and blood in your stool. It can also cause skin rashes and fever. Even inflammation in the eye can be seen with crohn's, making your eye pink. Some folks have had Crohn's or ulcerative colitis triggered or worsened after having c diff. It's because the inflammation c diff causes can trigger your body's immune system into overdrive. Honestly, you have just described several seemingly unrelated symptoms that can all be explained by one thing -- Crohn's disease. Has your doctor ruled this out?

Please don't ignore these symptoms or think they are part of normal recovery after c diff, because they really aren't. I hope you get the help you need to feel better fast.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Same as just me. Still bouts of IBS after several years of wonderful normalcy. Can hardly wait to check it out.

Zapper, Amy is correct. Do check blood out, might be nothing or a slight irritation but worth enjoying your day in the doc's officer! Best of luck. Take a seamy, sexy novelto read while you Wait!!! That way, no time wasted,

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”