Cdiff and it's aftermath

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Drake
New User

Cdiff and it's aftermath

Postby Drake » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:20 am

I am just going to vent about cdiff. I'm so upset. My GI doctor is amazing, so friendly and helpful. If I call him I get a response within an hour usually. He's on top of it. Now my body on the other hand disagrees with everything. I was diagnosed with cdiff for the 4th time on 7th. Went in a few days prior because I got "d" really bad and has to wait for the test results back. I already knew I had it. I had dificid on hand that my GI gave me months prior for a knee replacement, and tonsillectomy to counteract the antibiotics given. I never got "d" from it so it just sat in my medicine cabinet. I took it immediately after the "d" got to the point to where I was going hourly. I couldn't wait any longer for the test results I was feeling awful. I went into the ER which they told me I was positive I already knew. Usually dificid helps me within 24-48 hours it wasn't this time. So I sent a message to my GI we had talked about FMT the 3rd time I had cdiff so he wanted to go in that direction sense I have it again. Had my stool transplant on 7/14. Came home and slept. Woke up puking went into the ER. Got a medication for nausea. During prep for the colonoscopy I developed a left side pain I've never felt with cdiff. This has continued to be an issue sense. I was sore before my FMT the prep for it just intensified the left side pain and it hasn't calmed down. Now I can't take tylonel, ibuprofen and things I've been able to take my entire life. I just puke if I do. It hurts to eat hard food. So I've stuck to fruit cups with no sugar added, apple sauce, yogurt, and I drink a ton of water and fluids. Sense my FMT I've had bacterial vaginosis that hasn't gone away, my scalp is all broke out. I'm starting to lose hair on my hair line. I've been proscribed dicyclomine, zofran, metronidazole, Imodium, lidocaine patches, and I had a injection in my abdomen wall. I started with dicyclomine 3 times a day, and taking Imodium twice. That was a puke fest. I now take dicyclomine once a day. Today I after my abdomal wall injection I puked and took a zofran which stopped the puking but not the nausea. I've had injections before in my knees so I'm not allergic. Pretty sure my body just hates me right now. Metronidazole I tolerated orally for the 7 days. I finally have a formed stool and my first one on 8/2. I tested negative for cdiff last week. I just don't understand why my body is reacting for poorly to everything, why my left side pain just won't go away. I am frustrated. My body desides to get rid of cdiff but now I puke instead when my body disagrees with something. I will be one sad girl if this is something that is permanent. I'm used to being able to eat what I want, take ibuprofen, and tylonel. Now when I get headaches ice it is. I just wanted to vent about my body hating me right now. The only thing I am being successful at is sleep. I can sleep like no other. Wow does cdiff just suck the life out of you for awhile.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff and it's aftermath

Postby georgina » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 am

Vomitting is not a classic Cdiff symptome , your vomitting can be due to a virus or another bug that you could have contacted from the FMT . If i were you i would go back to my doctor and ask to get tested for other pathogens , food allergens , etc.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:39 am

Oh, you poor thing. I agree with Georgina - have you been worked up for the abdominal pain and vomiting? Don't just assume it's from c diff. Other things could be going on like with your pancreas or something. Please talk to your doctor.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Its really important to get a work up for the vomiting. I had them run every test possible, but was one of the people who had severe vomiting with CDIFF. I landed in the ER over and over from dehydration, could not stop the vomiting. Its how my body reacted to it but that conclusion was not made until they did all testing. CT's/contrat,ultrasound, labfor O&Ps etc. The only thing they come up with is I probably had a very virulent strain, maybe from working in GI in the past. I also had left side pain which continued with no answer after the testing.

I really feel for you. I went on a Dificid taper ( at the time could not get in with the GI who did FMT's for 4 months) so it was the only option.

I wore "Sea Bands" constantly which help the nausea. My diet was very limited. I wish I had more advice, just make sure to get tested for everything. In my case, the vomiting would start before the D. I had very little D compared to others, maybe 3-4 times in the AM and that was it. CDIFF does effect everyone differently.
Wishing you brighter days ahead, you WILL get better

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:40 pm

I did not vomit, but I used to get terrible nausea before a relapse. Since c difficile, I have chronic pancreatitis. I would speak to your GI about getting tested for other things - maybe h pylori and also for pancreatic and liver problems. Have you had blood tests to check your pancreatic and liver enzymes?

Drake
New User

Postby Drake » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:48 pm

If you guys don't mind me asking what is a work up?

Drake
New User

Postby Drake » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:01 pm

The only thing I've been tested for cdiff, and they did a blood draw for electrolytes and glucose that came back normal.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Drake,

A work-up is a clinical evaluation including any pertinent medical tests (blood draws, stool sample, imaging studies like CTs and XRays etc., any scope tests like colonoscopy or endoscopy etc pertinent to your issues, in order to figure out what the cause of your symptoms is. So work ups can be very different depending on the specific issues at hand - it just means the medical evaluation needed to figure it out.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”