Nursing student ready to go back

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
meg9610
Brand New Poster

Nursing student ready to go back

Postby meg9610 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi everyone!
So I was recently diagnosed with C.diff. I am on day 7/10 of my Flagyl treatment and I am also on summer break for my nursing curriculum. I am a google addict and I read way into everything. I am about to be a senior in nursing school which includes doing clinicals at the local hospitals. I am super nervous that I will get this disease again after this is over. Is there anyone out there that works in the healthcare field that is fine? I have been taking probiotics with every dose and plan on taking them when I finish the Flagyl as well. Thanks so much

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Nursing student ready to go back

Postby NanciT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Hello meg9610 Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

As you work through CDIFF, follow up with your GI to make sure you are clear to go back to school. As you know , CDIFF is very contagious and you will need to be clear of this. Hopefully once done with the Flagyl you will be well.

There is always risk when working in Healthcare, we are exposed to a great deal. I have taken extra precautions if I am near a patient who is CIDFF positive. I would talk with your Nursing supervisor and explain your concern.

Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi Meg,
My lady is a nursing student and has been in school while pregnant, post giving birth, and has done clinicals all throughout. She's gearing up for the new semester and 12 hour clinicals.
We got her a tub that she keeps her hospital shoes in so that she doesn't bring anything home on her shoes. She follows all the proper hospital protocols and changes as soon as she gets home. I got my fmt at the start of last semester and she went the entire time and I didn't catch c diff again.
She tested positive as a carrier when I was looking for donors and it hasn't had an effect on me. She may not even be positive anymore. Haven't checked.
But she said because of me having c diff for so long she respects it more but fears it less because she knows how to handle things even more and takes the extra precautions. Once your successfully treated and your biome establishes dominance against c diff you will have some protections. I hope you start feeling better soon

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Davidtm,

Thank you for your positive, helpful post. You are a gem. Good luck to your new family.

Love the hint about the shoes - NancyT does the same thing.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 am

Hi Meg
I'm also working in healthcare , and like you , after my medical leave was finished I was terrified to come back to work but after I came back the slowly the fear subsided and I got used to the idea that Cdiff is not a only a medical acquired disease anymore , is also a community acquired disease and there is nowhere to hide from it , so sooner or later you will come in contact with Cdiff again. With the proper hygiene precautions , and staying away from any future unnecessary antibiotic usage , you might be just fine. Remember that 70% of people get cured from the first round of meds and most of them never develop the disease again , hopefully you will be among the lucky majority.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Meg, I also am a healthcare provider considering returning to work and while c diff is a consideration, (who of us doesn't think of it?) I think our awareness of the need for stringent precautions probably makes us safer practitioners for both ourselves and our patients. I know even in my home, but especially when a visitor to healthcare facilities, I am fanatical about hand washing and all standard precautions.

We need a new generation of good nurses. Best wishes to you.
Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 pm

Agree with the others, Meg. Enjoy school but take precautions. NancyT listed a number of them

Remember. Most recover with one or two rounds of meds.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”