Doctors letting me down when I need them most.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Pinecone
Regular User

Doctors letting me down when I need them most.

Postby Pinecone » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm

If you've read my recent posts, you know I'm probably in the midst of a c diff relapse. The D has come roaring back and both the ER nurse and my mom, who is a nursing home LPN, have said it looks and smells like c diff. This has been the case since last Saturday.

Since then, I've found out that the ER doctors actually failed to test my sample for c diff, despite assuring me twice that they were going to do so. Then it took me a couple of days to get my GI doctor to order another test. Wednesday I gave another sample, and frankly, it was the perfect c diff sample. I won't go into TMI territory, but it was obviously c diff. I had high hopes for rapid diagnosis and treatment.

Well, today I found out that, once again, the lab failed to test me for c diff. Instead, they mistakenly tested for ova and parasites twice. Needless to say, I was devastated and livid. Three stern phonecalls later, I got yet another set of testing equipment. My sample was far less ideal this time, which worries me. I wrote C DIFF in all caps on the bottle, cap, bag, and a sticky note. Maybe that's passive aggressive of me, but... I was so frustrated.

Now I guess I'll be waiting until Monday for treatment. I'm still very sure I have c diff; however, the sample that I gave today was semi-solid, so I'm worried it's going to produce a false negative. I really wish my GI office would treat based on symptoms. Even without the constant gaffs, having to wait to get treated for something I'm 95% sure I have is ridiculous.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Doctors letting me down when I need them most.

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Don't worry about the consistency of the sample. I have had positive results on watery, solid, and in between. If it is positive, it will show positive. I would call the on-call doctor if you feel worse and ask them to call the lab to get results and let you know asap.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Sorry you are going through this, the lab should not be confusing test. Usually CDIFF is done off of a sample in a sterile cup. The O&P's are done off samples in containers with solution. This can differ per lab.

You can also call the lab and find out when they will be getting the results to your MD. Often lab's will CALL the MD with Positive results.

Wishing you the best!

NanciT

Pinecone
Regular User

Postby Pinecone » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:54 am

Beth - Good to hear. I'll keep the on-call doctor in mind, totally forgot that was a thing. I'm doing alright for now, just a lot of the same old thing... bloating, gas, pain, difficult D. As long as I don't start uncontrollably cramping, though, I can grin and bear it.

Nanci - Yeah, this whole week has been bizarre because when I was first diagnosed, I knew within twelve hours of submitting my sample. Yet this week I've had two samples in a row that took days, and weren't even the right test! If I really have relapsed, and I'm very sure I have, this sure is a long time to leave it festering. It stresses me out...!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 pm

Were you able to reach the on call doctor? If your symptoms are still bad you should probably think about getting a little pushy with them.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:43 am

Mark and date every sample with your name and the time and "c diff. Test ASAP or refrigerate." Write this in red with a marking pen. Sometimes the techs take samples out in a group and they sit until they are tested,

I would be furious and would complain - nicely if possible but firmly.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:55 pm

That is *awful* about the lab mixups because when you're that sick, testing is a herculean effort.

I echo what someone else said...I had a positive result on a somewhat solid specimen in the past too.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 am

I never had D just loose so hopefully it's able to be used .. did you find out your result yet?

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”