Sick :(

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

Sick :(

Postby amyc » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 pm

We went out to dinner last night, and I ate chicken and a salad. I just started having D and chills. I haven't really had a GI bug or food poisoning since I was cured of C diff in 2012. I'm very, very unhappy. Called the nurse line and got advice I already know, but she said GI viruses don't usually cause fevers? I don't have serious pain, just lots of gurgling. Any thoughts about that?

I think I am done eating chicken, even though I know you can get salmonella and E. coli from fresh veggies too. It was a nice restaurant with a fancy open kitchen. If I can't trust them to cook chicken properly I just think I will stay away from it for good.

Benh
Contributor

Re: Sick :(

Postby Benh » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Amy, I'm sorry that you are sick. I had salmonella 20 years ago and got it from a reputable restaurant in philly. I had a high fever though and terrible stomach pain in addition to the runs. I waited way to long to go to the er...5 days. At the time, they did nothing in terms of treatment other than IV fluids. I think if you have no fever it may be a virus like norobirus. Usually food poisoning comes with fever. Also bloody runs is a sign of food poisoning. I hope it is quick. I think the quicker you recover the mor likely it is a virus and not a food born bacteria like salmonella. I will say that after salmonella, I rarely eat out and having contracted c diff, I may become quite the recluse, much to my family's chagrin. I hope you feel better soon.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:56 pm

I got campylobacter from eating undercooked chicken. I did not need to take any antibiotics to treat it - just cleared on its own. I think viruses can cause a fever. When kids get stomach flu, they often run fevers, so I assume adults can too.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 am

Hope your feeling better by now.
Your far more likely to get a gut bug from salad!
They handle the raw chicken and cross contaminate to the salad.
I thought that almost any infection causes a raised temp, nature's way of creating a hostile environment for the invading bugs.
All UK chickens are inoculated against salmonella.
Hmmmm
Why don't they inoculate humans?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks guys, feeling better today. I went on the toast and water diet and it has helped quite a bit, so I'm guessing it was just a minor bug after all.

Roy, thanks for all you do here. I definitely wish our chickens were inoculated against salmonella here in the US! What a simple way to reduce the risk of disease!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:04 pm

I had a terrible virus in February and I did run a fever, so I think fevers are normal with any virus/infection. In any event, glad you are feeling better, Amy.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 am

Sorry you had stomach issues Amy , glad you are feeling better , stick to a bland diet for a day or two and drink some peppermint tea and I'm sure you will be fine.
And , yes , you can have a fever with GI viruses!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”