Cliff Nov 2015 now Sinus Infection trying different antibiotics to kill infection but not get CDiff

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Sunny59
Brand New Poster

Cliff Nov 2015 now Sinus Infection trying different antibiotics to kill infection but not get CDiff

Postby Sunny59 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi
I am brand new to this forum. After a running accident on some trails, breaking my nose and being found unconscious, I was rushed to the hospital. After tests, X-rays were done, I was told I had an acute break to the nose along with may cuts and bruises. They put on Augmentin for infection and two days later I broke out with hives. I stopped Augmentin. I went back to the dr two days later because my wounds to my nose and face were infected. She then put me on Erythromycin. Two days after being put on this antibiotic, I started with diahrehha, vomiting. I thought I had food poisoning. After 5 days of constant diahrehha and vomiting, I was admitted into hospital. I was tested positive for CDiff. I was hospitalized for 1 week. Vancomycin was the drug that finally worked for me. Long recovery. I am a fitness instructor and have been in fabulous health for last 57 years of my life. I had not even been on an antibiotic probably since my kids were young... 30 years ago! Having CDiff 15 months ago was absolutely horrible.
So here we are 15 months later, and I have had a sinus infection since Christmas. I finally went to dr. 2 weeks ago. I waited for so long because I did not want to be put back on an antibiotic. She wanted to see if the Vancomycin might kill the Sinus Infection. I stayed on the Vaco for 2 weeks and only got worse with my sinus infection. I went back to dr this past Monday and not only is my Sinus infection still present, I also have pneumonia. She prescribed Levofloxacin along with Vancomycin(hoping to avoid CDiff from recurring) I was also given an inhaler and Nasal Spray.
Two days after being on the Levofloxacin, I started having watery stools. Again, I thought maybe it was just a slight case but the diahrehha has continued. I am now on my fourth day of the Levofloxacin and of course still on Vaco.. diarrhea continues. I have a call into the dr. I am convinced I need to stop the Levofloxacin. I am just tired to being sick! Can anyone tell me if there is an antibiotic out there that won't cause CDiff but kill Sinus infection?
As a side note, my family dr said my sinus passages were entirely closed and she recommended I see an ENT dr. for my broken nose that I never had fixed after my running accident. I saw an ENT dr this past Wed and he said if I don't have my fixed I will constantly have these Chronic Sinus Infections. I am scheduled to go back to the ENT dr in two weeks, after he is hoping the sinus infection is gone. But with me having to stop this Levofloxacin I am scared the infection will not go away. HELP!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cliff Nov 2015 now Sinus Infection trying different antibiotics to kill infection but not get CDiff

Postby NanciT » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello sunny59 and welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you are going through this, you mentioned you had CDIFF 15 months ago. There is always risk with antibiotics, we do have a list of "less offenders" under CDI. Take a look at the list and discuss with your MD.

Currently you may have antibiotic induced diarrhea which is common, not necessarily CDIFF. If it does continue, return or call the GI who treated you and ask to be tested. Hopefully symptoms will subside but it's difficult to know.

We have many on the site including myself who were forced to take antibiotics Post CDIFF, I was very lucky and did well.

Take Care and I hope things improve and you feel better soon

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cliff Nov 2015 now Sinus Infection trying different antibiotics to kill infection but not get CDiff

Postby beth22 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I was given Levaquin together with vancomycin 3 years ago and I had D the entire time I was on both those meds. It was not c difficle though. What I don't understand from your post is that you were given vanco to see if it would help a sinus infection? Unless it was IV vanco, that drug will do absolutely nothing for sinuses. It stays in the GI tract. Flagyl might have done something, although it is not usually given for sinus infections either. Before c difficile, I used to take Bactrim for sinuses and a course of 5 days or so usually got rid of the infection. It is not as strong as Levaquin or Cipro. Another drug that is a low offender for c difficile is doxycycline. However, you should follow up with an ENT as suggested. If you need some kind of intervention, you may not even need to take antibiotics. I discussed sinus surgery with my ENT a few years ago and he told me that he does not give antibiotics automatically when he does the surgery to prevent infection. He only gives them if someone gets an infection, and usually they don't. I hope you feel better soon.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:37 am

Sunny59',

so sorry about what you are going through.

Check CDI - Infections, including sinus. Saline irrigation might help your sinus problems.chexk it out with your doc first. Sulfa is a low offender and usually works for sinus problems unless u are allergic to it.

Best of luck.

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I also suffer from sinus issues that stem from a deviated septum. I use the nasal rinses and peppermint oil over the sinus' regularly to help clear my airways. Ask your dr if that's an option for you.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”