I Hate Bladder Problems

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
KLor
Contributor

I Hate Bladder Problems

Postby KLor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:48 am

1 month out from Dificid, knock on wood this progress continues! Except, of course, I now seem to have a UTI. I can't be sure--my urinalysis showed only WBCs which I also have with urethritis, and I'm still waiting on a culture.

What concerns me is that I'm getting more and more severe flank pain while I wait. I have also had flank pain with negative UA and negative cultures, and then it went away after 5 or so days. But I'm just so worried that if I keep waiting for the culture, I'm going to end up with a kidney infection and need something stronger than Macrobid. I don't know what to do.

I know no one here can give medical advice. And I'll probably still try to wait for the culture. I hate the dilemmas this illness leaves you with. A UTI used to be an easy fix! Anyway, I just needed to put my worries somewhere so I can try to move on with my day. Thank you.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: I Hate Bladder Problems

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

I understand your frustration, went through this for months Post Vanco. I often had cultures my urologist did not treat with low counts....some may have treated but he watch me closely.
There were 2 I did have to treat and ended up on Keflex. I am OK! No relapse! But for me the bladder issues continue on and off, more off recently.
Hang in there, I know how frustrating it all is and the worry!!
Hoping the culture is negative! If it is not, review the antibiotic list under CDI with your MD!!
NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Same here. Frequent UTIa after c diff. I also have IC.

See CDI-'UTIs. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=671#p4786

Smart to wait until results of culture before taking antibiotic. Do see a urologist as NanciT recommended.

I am on 50 mg preventive Macrobid - a "safe" antibiotic. Some, however,
are allergic to it. Have been on it for years. So far, so good.

Drink, drink water.

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Well, the culture came back negative (no growth), but the urgent care doctor still wants me to take Macrobid...and the nurse who called me couldn't give much of a reason... I feel like I have fewer answers than I started with.

Luckily I have an appointment with my PCP in the morning about IC, so hopefully he can offer some guidance about this flare and/or infection. Still not starting Macrobid until I get a more convincing reason than "I don't know, that's just what she said." Hope that doesn't come back around to bite me.

Thank you both for your empathy and suggestions. It's nice to know you've both made it through this mess too!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:41 pm

A reported side effect of both vanco and dificid is bladder problems, pain, feeling of a UTI etc.
Ask if that might be the problem.
It's a poor Dr that proves you don't have an infection but still wants you to take an antibiotic!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm

I printed out the side effect results ( Both Vanco and Dificid) that Roy has mentioned and brought them into my urologist. I would ask your PCP for a referral to urologist. They handle UTI's differently. Mine carefully looks at the culture and checks the number of colonies that grew out. Especially on a CDIFF patient, there are many of us that developed bladder irritation after these medications. Most physicians are not familiar with that.
Check with your MD about D Mannose
NanciT

KLor
Contributor

Postby KLor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Thank you all for your sound advice. I agree, roy--not impressed with that doctor at all.

As I should have expected, today on the 6th day my symptoms disappear. Just another flare, I guess. My PCP is putting me on Vesicare to help with the irritation, and agreed there is no reason to take Macrobid now. I will be seeing a urologist in March, but until then I hope the Vesicare helps.

Thanks everyone for creating a container for my seemingly endless health worries, and for all of the suggestions on how to proceed. Take care!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”