Just need to vent.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
GinaS
New User

Just need to vent.

Postby GinaS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi... I haven't been on in sometime now.. I get very overwhelmed sometimes trying to read everything and not knowing what to do...
I have been on Flagyl once... and vanco I am on now for the 2nd time.. this time tapper...
I have been back and forth to the GI..this last time.. I complained of cramping.. pains on my right side..X rays were taken and they seen "Irregularity of the mid sigmoid gas pattern which suggest inflammatory changes. This could be further evaluated.with CT or other
test.. I call the doctors office and they say they didnt' get the x rays back.. then when I say.. listen I have them.. the doctor finally gets on and tells me what i said above... Doctors says .. stay on light diet.. and hopefully it will resolve with being on the vanco again...
I still get cramps and a very full feeling and have been on VAnco a week...
I am taking 100 Billion Live probiotic Garden of life..
I was advised to try Florostor.. Do I take them both.. I am on a prebiotic also from Garden of Life.
Doctor I ask them anything and they don't seem to know anything and I have been to 2 Gastro doctors as of now... What i have learned I have learned from a dear friend from this board.
I am sorry... I just don't know what to do anymore..
I am also under alot of stress at home with my sisters mental ill son and a granddaughter who is stay with me but has her own issues...
I am sorry..I just am lost and confused and really scared with this C DIff...
So thanks for any info anyone can give me..
I don't even know what to eat..
Brat diet I can't eat..
Oh and I really haven't had "D" it has been firm but do you ever get rid of this completely?
Well thank you
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year for all of us...
Thanks
Gina S
My Name is Gina and I am new to the boards. I was diagnosed with a positive stool test of C Diff the end of June... I am 66 years old... Believe that this is from over medication of PPI for Acid Reflux.
Thank you all.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just need to vent.

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:00 am

Hi Gina - Sorry you are still feeling ill. It sounds as if the vanco is keeping the c diff in check since you aren't having D, but the other symptoms can be from different things, including the vanco. When I was on vanco, I got cramping and a lot of gas. Also, many probiotics gave me problems. Maybe they don't agree with you too well. You could try to stop them for a couple of days and see if your symptoms improve. As far as the Florastor, that was the worst one for me. It gave me tons of gas, cramping and even a rash. Some people tolerate it very well though. It is kind of hit or miss and everyone is different in their tolerances and reactions.

What are you eating if you can't tolerate the Brat diet? Rice and lean meats such as chicken and turkey are good. Many people do not do well with dairy, so you might stay away from that.

GinaS
New User

Postby GinaS » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Thank you Beth... Really haven't been eating to much... I am going to try what you say... Turkey and chicken...and maybe some vegetables... That arent gassy...
I am also going to try a smaller amount of probiotics... I heard Culteral was good. Maybe there are to many for me in the Garden of Life of 100 Billion...
Thanks for responding...
GinaS
My Name is Gina and I am new to the boards. I was diagnosed with a positive stool test of C Diff the end of June... I am 66 years old... Believe that this is from over medication of PPI for Acid Reflux.
Thank you all.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 pm

In an earlier post you said you have divoticulosis.
The symptoms you describe throughout your c.diff experiance are far closer to divoticulosis than they are to typical c.diff.
It's fairly common to carry c.diff as part of your normal gut flora without it being a disease.
The test will be positive though.
It only becomes a disease if it overgrown and produces enough toxins that your body reacts to.
That reaction is normaly D.
If your Dr is treating you just because of a positive test you should get a second opinion.
There's many bacteria that are classed as normal gut inhabitants but have the potential to cause illness if they multiply or get into the wrong place
C.diff is only one of them.
Trying to eradicate them to get a negative test is probably impossible and potentially harmful.

GinaS
New User

Postby GinaS » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you very much Roy.. and just by chance I was reading an article on Diverticulotius and you hit the nail on the head.. Some of the symptoms do see to be from that~!! So thank you for validation my concerns and I have been thinking of changing gastro doctors.. as I am not happy with this one.. He is the 2nd on I have seen but the 1st one i didn't see long as I think I got the c diff cause I was always being prescribed an over abundance of antacids and PPI's... but I have noticed reading the boards that many people find that it takes a while to find a doctor that is knowledgeable..
Again Thank you..
Happy New Year~~!!!'
Gina S
Thank you all.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Hey Gina

I took that same Garden of Life probiotic and Florastor during my C Diff. I took the Garden of Life 1x a day, and Florastor 2x a day. I was on Vanco countless times...I can't even tell you. I begged my doctor for an FMT after my second relapse and she refused, and kept putting me back on Vanco only to fail it again.

After six relapses, I found a new GI who immediately sent me for an FMT. I am almost two months out from my FMT now and I think I am safe to say "cured." One thing I learned through almost eight months of this mess...is that you really do have to be your own advocate. Sadly, a lot of doctors don't know and simply don't care. Do your research, and always push for what you feel is best for you. There is great advice and knowledge on this board that helped save me.

I hope you feel better!
Ash

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:26 pm

I would definitely try to find another GI dr and get another opinion ASAP before another round of meds gets prescribed for possibly the wrong illness. As Roy said, your symptoms don't sound like typical c diff and unless your test was positive for toxins just being positive for the presence of c diff doesn't mean you have disease and the meds are killing off good gut flora for no reason. The correct diagnosis is critical for many reasons and I don't believe a plain x-ray will show what it needs to. If it is diverticulitis the treatment is antibiotics so taking probiotics now is good for some protection.

The right ones for you takes some trial and error. I take Align in the morning and Florastor at night. I have no difficulty with either. I hope you can find some bland foods that agree with you. In addition to plain chicken and turkey I could eat pasta, rice and baked potatoes, eggs and toast.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”