Fmt on Thursday

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Fmt on Thursday

Postby Davidtm » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Sitting here hungry and fasting before the prep that awaits me tomorrow for Thursday's fmt. Hunger always brings out such conflicting emotions in me. All day I've been rollercoastering from happy and excited to scared and worried. I'm so happy that I have finally gotten this fmt scheduled. I'm so sad in reflection that it's come to this. I'm optimistic of the future but worried based on 7 months of failures and set backs. The doubts have me wondering if this is going to work. So many scenarios running through my head today. Mostly of my family and wanting to be better for them. I'm scared to relapse and so eager to be well. I'm greatful that I have the fmt lined up and for everyone that helped me here to get to this point. I never thought the day would come based on my situation of allergies.
I've been on vanco for 3 months straight waiting for this and I stop them today. I hope for the last time. I'm nervous about Thursday and hoping I'm able to hold it in for a long time. I'm hoping that it will seed my gut and outcompete the cdiff to give me a chance to be better. I want to get to know the old me before c diff and welcome him back. I'm hoping this will be the cure. I've spent most of today reading through other members fmt experiences before, during, and after treatment. Im inspired by the successes I've read. I know it's been a bumpy road and I'm ready for some smooth sailing. I'm tired of being scared and worried about the future.
Thank you again to everyone here for your stories, encouragement, and knowledge.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Fmt on Thursday

Postby NanciT » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 pm

I will be sending Positive( Healthy) thoughts your way on Thursday! There is always anxiety with any procedure but in the case of CDIFF when you feel like" this is it" makes it seem a bit more. We have so many posters who have done months of medication and then the FMT finally put CDIFF in their past.
Wishing you the BEST and keep us updated
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Wishing you all the best on Thursday, David. You have been through so much, and praying that this FMT cures you once and for all. It has a very high success rate, so stay positive. You will do great! Keep us posted!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:27 am

Good luck, David. Ask your doc about eating fiber to "feed" the new bacteria. See CDI viewtopic.php?p=100815#p100815

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:53 am

David
Think positive , do not think about failure , the FMT has the highest cure rate, although the first weeks after the infusion are the hardest. Recovery is hard even after a successful FMT.
Crossing fingers that the FMT will cure you once and for all!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 am

Sending good thoughts your way too. Let us know how it all goes. FMT is the only thing that helped me.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 am

Thank you everyone. Reading your positive thoughts and well wishes has helped ease my nerves. I will definitely ask the dr about fiber after the procedure. I'm feeling good about this and hope the prep isn't too terrible! Not looking forward to that but definitely worth it if I find a cure in this.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Had my fmt today. Was able to hold the sample for one hour before I couldn't anymore. I only lost a very small amount and currently 2.5 hours and still going. The procedure seemed to go well with no signs of colitis. Will be trying to keep the rest of the sample as much as possible. Really greatful to all the staff there for making me comfortable and doing the job. Also greatful to everyone who helped me to get to today. Hoping for good things in the future but focusing on the now and getting some good fiber :) was told to eat normal and avoid dairy. I was told fiber was good but not to overdo. Thanks again everyone. The anxieties about today were much less with all the help from here.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Happy to hear it went well David. Get some rest and give things time to work

Take Care
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 am

Congrats for having done the FMT , glad everything went well. Have you asked your doctor about a fiber supplement , helps feed your new bacteria?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:30 am

Happy to hear all went well. Don't panic if you get some off days or D. It may be up and down for a while, at least it is for many.

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:42 am

Good job! Now try to relax and rest, eat wisely, and let your body do its thing. One day at a time. Fingers crossed it's an uneventful road to recovery from here.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:25 am

Thank you everyone. Trying to be positive and see anything as a normal occurrence after the transplant. I did ask them about diet and fiber supplements but was only told to eat a normal diet minus adding cheese for a while. I think there are benefits to added fiber and it's helped me in the past so I'm going to make sure I get enough and have a healthy well rounded diet. Introduce new things slowly and fingers crossed. I will say for anyone who's never had an fmt and is concerned about getting one that it's not bad at all and a breeze compared to the prep and nerves of having it.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Well I unfortunately relapsed. It was a slow decline but eventually it managed to end up having symptoms exactly like my scary first occurrence. I went to the er and got some fluids and had a test done. The results came by the next day and were positive. Within 36 hours of vanco everything stablilized. I'm pain free and symptom free but emotionally taxed. I'm to go on a month of vanco higher dose and discuss a follow up fmt in a few weeks. My symptoms returned to normal faster than other relapses with the higher dose. I can't help but feel frustrated after having gone through the fmt and shudder at having to continue this from square one. I had high hopes for this and did all I could. The medicine makes me tired and I'm not sleeping as good now. a man has to work and live so to work I go tomorrow tired and will have to suck it up. I'm 33 with a normal shaped colon with a few diverticula and everything else looked clear. I've read the diverticula don't predispose someone to relapse and that I don't have an epidemic strain. I can't understand why this hasn't been beat after 14 days of vanco, a long vanco taper/pulse, 3 months of vanco, an fmt..
I asked about dificid and it will be discussed. I hate how stubborn this has been. All because of clindamicin. It's hard to remain optimistic that I'll beat it after everything I've tried so far. But fingers crossed and onward I push. I will be looking into every possibility for why I specifically could be relapsing. Ive lost 44 lbs since this started in May. I'm doing what I can. I'm trying to find a way. It's getting to be expensive and Drs are surprised im still dealing with this. Thank you to everyone who answered me when I had the relapse concerns in my other post. I took a few days to get my center and try and get my positivity.
All the best to each and every one of you for a happy and healthy 2017

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:44 pm

I had to have more than one FMT and so have others. Hopefully, the next one will do it for you or the vanco treatment will get rid of it. Hang in there.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”