Venting/frustrated

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
meme3054
New User

Venting/frustrated

Postby meme3054 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:00 pm

This is about my husband who is on his first relapse with Cdiff. Back on Vanco going to taper him off. It has been a bad few months. He won't talk to anyone and I don't know what to do. I have given him probiotic Florester. Twice a day. He can only eat chicken, Noodles, Mashed potatoes, Green beans. Have tried Spaghetti sauce, Pork Tenderloin with Gravy and boy the gas and problems.

This second time around he did 2 weeks vanco 4 times a day, then 2 weeks 2 times a day. Sunday will start two weeks 1 times a day. Don't understand this tapering thing, but hope it helps. Don't know what to cook or have him eat anymore. He is sick of chicken. Oh also had a Prostrate seed implant 2 weeks after acquiring Cdiff the first time. When will this get better.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Venting/frustrated

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Hello meme3054. Welcome to the site. Please see the first forum for new users on rules of posting, standard intro, testing info, etc.

So sorry that your husband is dealing with this awful illness. It is very stressful on family members as well, so I'm sure you have had your hands full. Most of us stick to a bland diet for quite some time. Even after finishing meds, the GI can be very sensitive, so it is good to stay bland until he feels well enough to add back foods. Many of us become lactose or gluten intolerant as well. So he should be careful, especially with dairy. Spaghetti sauce and pork with gravy would have been too much for me to handle as well, while I was battling the infection.

Vanco tapers work for many, so hopefully this taper does the trick. Unfortunately, it's not a quick overnight fix. It can take many months for some to get back to some sort of normalcy. Many experience loose, frequent BM's for some time. As long as he is not having the frequent, watery D more than 3 times daily, he's most likely in recovery. This nasty illness also leaves many with Post Infectious IBS. IBS can pose many of the same symptoms as c diff. See 3 Day Rule for IBS under CDI Info All You Need to Know. It is a non-scientific gage that helps us to differentiate between the two. Most of us, including myself, experienced bad mornings for quite some time in recovery. I would have loose frequent stools in the morning, but the rest of the day would be pretty good. This is not unusual either.

The Florastor is a very good probiotic. Many, including myself take it daily. VSL-3 is another GI recommended probiotic. It is a lactic acid live bacteria probiotic. Live bacteria probiotics should be spaced apart from meds though because the meds will kill it off. You should start off slow with any probiotic though, as it can have its own set of symptoms for many people. Some can't tolerate them. For me, they caused some gas and bloating in the beginning, but it was tolerable. As my body adjusted, the symptoms subsided. The probiotic drink, Kefir is also recommended by many posters.

Being ill with this for so long can definitely lead you into a depression. It's really hard for people to understand, unless they have gone through it. The one thing that really helped me get through it, was this site. Maybe he can read through the success stories. Or even just telling his feelings to others who really know what he's going through. Not only is c-diff a terrible, physical illness, but it is a mental illness as well. Fear and anxiety can become very overwhelming. You may feel like you will never get rid of it, and your fears of needing an antibiotic again can become too much. Tell him that it all gets better though. Time is really the true healer. Even the ones with the most stubborn of cases, eventually will kick it out and move on. The majority do recover with meds. There are many posters on this site who were cured by the med, Dificid after vanco tapers failed. So that is another option for him as a just in case, next step plan. And of course, there is always an FMT, which has the highest cure rate.

There is a lot of good info on this site that can help you and your husband with this ordeal. He will get better. Good luck and hopefully this vanco taper does the trick once and for all.
Lisa

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:42 pm

The prostate seed implant could cause digestive issues? It's worth asking a doctor anyway. Does he like fish? Flash frozen fish from good stores (read labels, buy US, Canada, Australia, or Chile caught or farmed) is excellent quality now. Cooked carrots can be delicious. Roasted or sautéed then glazed with honey or maple syrup, delicious and easy for me to digest. Filet mignon is very low fat and also easy to digest and cook.

One food I had great luck eating post C diff is beans. I am pretty sure my experience is unusual at best, so I hate to recommend them, but Amy's brand refried beans out of the can with flour tortillas, tiny bit of sharp cheddar cheese, plus avocado and a little mild salsa was a staple.

I also like cooking breakfast for dinner. Pancakes served with sautéed cinnamon apples and fried ham slices. Use less cinnamon than the recipe calls for when you cook the apples if it bothers him, and you can sprinkle a little on top of yours for flavor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:14 am

Agree with Lisa , gravy sauce may have been too much for his already irritated gut.He can also try turkey , roasted or grilled and the fish that Amy suggested. I also make my own turkey sausages and cook them in the oven with a drop of vegetable oil. There are also the vegetables soups chicken soup (i cook my chicken soup with noodles or dumplings in it), grilled or steamed zuchinni ,baked potatoes, rice pilaf. See CDI-nutrition.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”