I need help

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
KellyA
New User

I need help

Postby KellyA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi all! I haven't posted in a long time. But I feel the need to reach out. I've had c diff 3x and a year ago today I got FMT but since then I've had major nausea. Now I suffer from colitis not ulcerative but infectious. Of course I can't poop so I can't do a stool sample. I have been in the hospital 3 times in the last 2 months diagnosed with colitis but sent home with pain medication and zofran. I dry heave horrible and can't take care of my child. All my blood work is normal. I'm scared and don't know what to do. Has anyone else gone through this?

roy
Administrator

Re: I need help

Postby roy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Have you had your gall bladder checked out?

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Thank you for responding Roy! Yes they said it's fine. I thought that too.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Kelly: Have you tried an enema, stool softeners, lots of fiber? I can't imagine going for a long time without having a BM and the doctors not doing anything. Have you seen a good Gastroenterologist? I would think that a stool sample could be obtained by a Gastro doctor through a procedure done in his office. I hope you find relief soon. Take care.
Aloha,
Anne

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you justme for replying. I haven't eaten for 4 days and that is why I'm not having a BM. I have no appetite at all. They want me to stick to a low residue diet until the inflammation calms down. I do have a GI he's recommended Prilosec and Zofran. Thank you I hope to find relief soon too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:08 am

You can also try prune juice , eating plums , beetroot ,kiwi , they can help with transit.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:04 am

Infectious colitis doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm not a doctor. If you have an infection causing your illness they need to figure out what is causing it and treat it. Do they think it's viral, bacterial, fungal, parasitic, whatever. If it's ischemic colitis that's a different condition. Did they see anything unusual when they did the scope with your FMT? I'm the scope-hater around here, but has your care team mentioned trying one to see what's happening? Maybe you could try one of the pill camera scopes where you swallow a big pill that takes pictures of everything as it passes through. Or maybe get tested for SIBO? The nausea and dry heaving sound more like a stomach or small intestine problem than colitis, but again, I am not a doctor.

Has anybody mentioned gastroparesis or eosinophilic esophagitis? Those can respond to antihistamines and good old marijuana, not that I recommend a young mother take up smoking marijuana without a prescription.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:22 am

KellyA,
You must eat in order to survive. Keep it light - maybe the BRAT diet - bananas, rice (white), applesauce, and toast. Supplement with Boast or Ensure. Be sure you drink enough fluid to stay hydrated. Also,see Nutrition. In CDI. There is a probiotic that has helped several on this site regain their appetite - primadolphus reuteri. You can buy it at health food stores.

You said you are on Prilosec - it is a PPI. - proton pump inhibitor. PPIs have been linked to c diff. If you have a hiatal hernia and or acid reflux, ask your doc if you can substitute an acid reducer such as the generic form of Zantac - - acid reducer an - not as heavily implicated in c diff.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 pm

So GI just called and said my cdiff tests are positive but I haven't had diarrhea at all. He doesn't want me to start vancomycin because I'm asymptomatic but I think it's because I've been taking zofran Zantac eating gluten free and no dairy. But I'm nauseous everyday and dry heave I also have no energy and take care of my 1 year old daughter. I have vancomycin should I start taking it?

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:09 pm

I feel for you Kelly. I do not have any good advice but just wanted to say I know how you feel in a way. I also have a 1 year old daughter and I keep getting stomach flu's, terrible viruses, and nausea and it is SO hard to care for my toddler and be a good mom when I'm feeling sick. I try to remember that it's not forever that I feel sick but it does feel like it in the moment.

I'm not sure if you should treat if you don't have symptoms. Someone with more knowledge can chime in maybe but I think some people have c diff in their gut but don't have symptoms and it doesn't need to be treated.

I'm currently in another bout of diarrhea and fearing a relapse but it's probably just a tummy bug-again. There is no end.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:14 pm

Take your Drs advice.
No D = no treatment needed.
You have a VERY good Dr!!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 pm

The nausea and dry heaving need to be investigated. An upper endoscopy is easy and has no prep involved. Did the nausea just start or have you had it for a long time?

I believe in following your doctor's orders but encourage you to follow up on the nausea problem.

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:14 pm

I have had the nausea since March. I had endoscopy done normal, ct scan 3x inflammation in the colon. WBC a little high, colonoscopy in November normal. Had FMT done December 2015. Tried anti nausea medication Zantac Prilosec changed my diet. I've even tried cannabis for the nausea. I'm frustrated that I will continue to get cdiff and that eventually this is what I will die from.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 am

Zantac and Prilosec are not anti nausea meds , they reduce stomach acid. Ask you doctor about Zofran , it works great for nausea.

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:46 am

I do take zofran. But it doesn't work. I think that's what colonizing the c diff

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”