I need help

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: I need help

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 am

I am not a doctor, but I doubt zofran has anything to do with colonizing c-diff. It is merely an anti-nausea med. Like you, zofran never helped my nausea. It didn't while I was pregnant, and it didn't with c-diff. I agree with your doctor and the others. You are not experiencing c-diff symptoms, so I would not treat as well. I would also ask about clarifying your test results. Are you positive for actual c-diff toxins? I ask because many of us test positive for the antigen, but are negative for toxins, meaning there is not an active infection that needs treating. Some posters have used Sea Bands for nausea, which has helped them. I hope your GI can get to the bottom of your nausea issue. That is the absolute worst feeling. Believe me I know, as I suffered with terrible nausea and vomiting for almost 7 months of pregnancy, and again dealt with terrible nausea when I had c-diff. You don't want to eat and it makes it very hard to function. But, you have to force yourself to eat something - stick to the BRAT diet. With me, apples were always my go-to food. Maybe it was the tartness of them that helped with the nausea.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:10 am

Im struggling to eat also, forcing myself. Been sticking with chicken Rice lots bananas peaches oatmea trying to add boost when can keep it downl. Worried about losing more weight . Zofran does nothing for me. Phenegran has been helping to keep food down. I take half when i am so mauseated but must eat. It also kinda helps little with anxiety.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:00 am

So sorry for what you're going through Kelly. This is such a terrible disease. A scourge. The way it keeps coming back for so many of us, and the after-ravages left behind even after it is cleared. My heart goes out to you.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:23 pm

TSC have you tried bone broth , is nutritious , tasty and also calms down the stomach and the gut . Bone broth was the only thing that i could drink in my REALLY BAD days.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: I need helother

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 pm

Georgina,
Would you pls post a recipe for bone broth? It is mentioned in many of the other support sites.

Here is one I found on Epicurious.com. Is yours similar?

YIELDMakes about 8 cups of broth, depending on cooking time ACTIVE TIME30 minutes TOTAL TIME9 to 24 hours
INGREDIENTS

4 pounds beef bones, preferably a mix of marrow bones and bones with a little meat on them, such as oxtail, short ribs, or knuckle bones (cut in half by a butcher)
2 medium unpeeled carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium leek, end trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, quartered
1 garlic head, halved crosswise
2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Special equipment:
6-quart (or larger) stockpot or a large slow cooker
PREPARATION

Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef bones, carrots, leek, onion, and garlic on a roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Toss the contents of the pan and continue to roast until deeply browned, about 20 minutes more.

Fill a large (at least 6-quart) stockpot with 12 cups of water (preferably filtered) . Add celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, and vinegar. Scrape the roasted bones and vegetables into the pot along with any juices. Add more water if necessary to cover bones and vegetables.

Cover the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a very low simmer and cook with lid slightly ajar, skimming foam and excess fat occasionally, for at least 8 but up to 24 hours on the stovetop. The longer you simmer it, the better your broth will be. Add more water if necessary to ensure bones and vegetables are fully submerged. Alternately, you can cook the broth in a slow cooker on low for the same amount of time.

Remove the pot from the heat and let cool slightly. Strain broth using a fine-mesh sieve and discard bones and vegetables. Let continue to cool until barely warm, then refrigerate in smaller containers overnight. Remove solidified fat from the top of the chilled broth.

Do Ahead:
Broth can be stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:06 am

TSC, as crazy and unprofessional and unproven as it is, the one thing that helped my nausea during recovery from c diff was old fashioned cola syrup. The high sugar content calms nausea in many people. Unfortunately many people develop an intolerance to sweets after c diff, as did I, but I did get some relief from the cola syrup. It might be worth a try.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 am

My recipe is more simple then that :2 large beef bones with a little meat on them (don't cut them because I do not want the marrow to get into the broth) , 2 peeled carrots , 1 onion , 1 celeriac , 1 parnisnip ( all the vegetables get boiled but after are boiled I throw them away) .
I put the bones in cold water to cover them , put the lid and start boiling , skim the foam and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and let it cook far 2 hours at a very low simmer and then add the vegetables and cook for another hour . Strain the broth , remove excess fat and throw away the bones and the boiled veggies. Serve !

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:28 am

Thank you to everyone that posted! I agree that phenergan helps more then zofran does. Bone broth has been wonderful especially during this cold weather. I'm still experiencing nausea and dry heaving on a daily basis. It has been difficult to take care of my one year old but her smile and laugh has helped tons. I absolutely love all of you and this site. It has helped me for the last 8 years. I'm extremely grateful for all of you!! I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers during the holidays!!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:45 am

KellyA

Not sure if you have tried "Sea Bands" you can get them at any drug store. I wore them for 2 years during CDIFF and recovery due to the nausea.
You may want to give them a try.
NanciT

KellyA
New User

Postby KellyA » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Nancyt I wore them when I was pregnant and they didn't work. I can try them again!!! Thank you

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:54 am

This is far fetched but when desperate try everything.
As unlikely as it is that it may not be from your gut, have you gone to an ENT to have your ears checked "just in case"?
As I said, it seems apparent that it is GI but....
Rita

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”