Baaad Gas Cramps!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Baaad Gas Cramps!

Postby justme » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:36 pm

For some reason, I have been having horrible gas cramps for about a week. There is no D, no accompanying fever (except my daily hot flashes), no B in stool, my diet hasn't changed and nothing helps until elimination. Is there some weird Gastroenteritis going around? The pain is bad, but other than that - no other symptoms. Very strange. Is anyone else experiencing these type of symptoms? I've tried everything and am drinking lots of water to get stuff to move along. It's probably just one of those body getting older and starting to deteriorate things. Hopefully, it will pass and isn't just a new phase of IBS or intestinal adjustment after C. Diff.
Aloha to all,
Anne

kayron
Contributor

Re: Baaad Gas Cramps!

Postby kayron » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:03 am

If it is any comfort, I have them too. I have been battling cdiff all year. Two rounds of Flagyl and several rounds of Vanco. I have C and then I have loose soft stool (not watery D). I also have those horrible cramps. I have them when I take antibiotics and when I am in recovery (I hope). I do take probiotics so I do not know if they could cause cramps. I take Gas X and keep the heating pad on my stomach. I feel your intestines have been through such a trauma and is trying to heal itself. My doctor gave me Enteragam (it is a medical food prescription that is suppose to help heal your gut). I am not fond of it because it makes me have C which hurts also. It hurts with D and hurts with C. Hopefully one of the veterans on the board can help us with this. This board has helped me a lot. Also, I kept testing for a negative C Diff and I never got one. I may be colonized. They recommend that you don't test unless you have the watery D, B or fever. I hope this will go away for us soon.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

Kayron: Thank you for responding. You are in the earlier stages of recovery, but it's been over 3 years for me. I know I don't have a recurrence of C. Diff (I tested negative a year after C. Diff when I had a TIA and was hospitalized, and the Macrobid I took months ago produced no problems). I think I may have picked up a bug or I'm not retaining enough water. I take diuretics (heart condition) and have constant hot flashes after going off hormones (due to a TIA), so I'm going to increase my water intake and see if that helps. I had to stop probiotics as they caused lots of IBS issues, but I'm upping my fiber intake also to see if that helps because I am a bit constipated. Your symptoms are those of a pretty typical recovery and they will resolve over time. A lot of us on the board have continuing issues after C. Diff, but many people don't. IBS is tricky. It doesn't seem to affect everyone the same way and the types of things that are tolerable for some of us may cause others lots of problems. I'm one of those who can't take any form of probiotics - yes they can cause a lot of gas, cramping, and D or loose stool. I took them when I was taking the Macrobid (and endured the side effects), but discontinued after the treatment was over. It takes a long time for many of us to recover from the damage to our intestines after C. Diff. I seem to be one of those whose body is just slower at healing (I'm also 72). Hopefully, you will recover much faster and be back to your old self soon. It doesn't sound like you have active C. Diff, but are one of those who is having to endure a slow recovery. I agree, heating pads are wonderful. Good luck with your recovery Kayron.
Aloha,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi Anne- so sorry you are having these cramps. It is so weird that this came on out of the blue. It could very well be some sort of virus, as you said nothing has changed as far as diet. Have you tried ginger or ginger ale? Sometimes that helps me with gas pains.

Hopefully this just goes away soon. Feel better.
Lisa

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Sorry to hear Anne,
I hope you are feeling better? I too will get this from time to time. So much can cause GI upsets for me anymore. One I always find so frustrating is when I have a cyst rupture on my ovary. I have a couple hormone diseases, one of which being poly cystic ovarian syndrome, so rupturing cysts are pretty common anymore, but sometimes it will make my IBS flare something terrible. Hope you're well now!

-Sarah

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:32 pm

I've had it lately too, but I've been testing positive for c diff for over 3 months. However, I do notice that this happens more with C or harder stools. I think trying the fiber is a good idea, although for some people it causes more gas. Have you tried the acacia powder fiber? It is a natural one and supposed to be easier to handle.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 pm

Thanks all for responding. I think I had some kind of a virus, although when you have IBS it's hard to tell as your gastric system has been so compromised that it is super sensitive. I've cut out anything that "might" be bothering me and am sticking pretty close to a bland diet. Lisa: I didn't have any nausea, but when I do, I use ginger chews because I have bladder issues and anything with citric acid causes urinary problems. Sarah: I have female issues too. My problem is a pelvic floor prolapse. I had a complete hysterectomy in 2001 and now I have this little side effect. I do kegels religiously, but my aging body doesn't react as well as it used too and that causes my bladder and colon to act up. Right now, I'm trying to reintroduce probiotics (Floraster) by taking one every 2-3 days and then increasing it slowly. It seems like C. Diff (and its aftermath) is the gift that just keeps on giving. Take care everyone.
Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:14 am

You may be right about the virus, Anne. I have had the same thing for the last few days, although I did have some loose stools, though not actual D. But, I don't usually have that much gas or cramping. I also felt extremely tired and on some days lightheaded, so much so, that I went to see the cardiologist. He told me it was not my heart. I also felt very achy. Maybe there is something going around. Ever since I had c difficile, I seem to pick up things I never would have prior to getting it. Hope you feel better soon!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:42 pm

Try Phazme or Gas X. Helps a little. See CDI - Digestive Complaints.

Sending you info on writing contest.

Feel better.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:33 am

Bobbie: I use Gas-Ex and it usually helps. I actually had a little gastroenteritis for about a week, but it slowly eased off. I decided to try Floraster and space it out every third day to get my body used to it and them gradually increase the frequency. I was okay for about a week, then wham-o tonight my gut was so gassy, nothing worked until I was able to drink enough water to eliminate. I'm going to push it back to once a week. I really have a problem with probiotics! I've tried them all and I get an unpleasant reaction each time. I guess this old body just wants me to eat a bland, boring diet and lay-off the trial and error experiments. I may listen, but I'm stubborn and want to push the envelope just hoping I can at least get some probiotics in me JIC.

I'll be watching for your PM. What is the topic this year? There are a few courses on EDX.org that teach you how to write a novel and since mine is going nowhere, I may take one of them (they are free to audit). Take care and good luck with your writing.

Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:17 am

Anne,
I'm have been having a rough time, too,- cramping etc.

Writing contest is https://nanowrimo.org/

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”