Oral Infection

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
bnwood9
Contributor

Oral Infection

Postby bnwood9 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 pm

Irritated now because I have to take some amoxicillin because of a tooth infection. They cut the tooth out (needed to come out anyway) but since I'm doing so well now with eating and everything I don't want to take it. It's been a week and a half. The pain comes and goes from the infection. You can feel it in the jaw a bit and the lymph node on that right side is swollen. Pain has lessened from before the operation. Wasn't told how long it takes for the infection to leave after the tooth has been removed and my dentist is out of town today. The clerk told me that he'd be in Saturday to do paperwork and would write me a script for then. I'm not sure how I feel about this but I guess if there is a possible risk of infection to my face it is warranted.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Oral Infection

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:38 pm

Have an honest conversation with your dentist and include an xray to check the area. Explain your concern, but you also cannot let a dental infection that could possibly be in the bone go untreated.
There are several things to look at here and ask. Is there an infection going on? They can often see this on an Xray.
Would a rinse like Peridox work? I have used this for tooth/gum infections but your may be more severe and this wont cover it.
What antibiotic would be best if necessary? I would stay away from Clindamycin. Take a look at our list we have under CDI and take the list to the dentist with you.
Wishing you the best
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:08 pm

The way I read your post is that the dentist is going to write a prescription without even looking in your mouth!
If that's correct it's incompetent prescribing.
What you describe can be normal aches and pains after a tooth extraction.
Taking antibiotics on the say so of the dentist clerk without being examined is like playing Russian Roulette.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:35 pm

There is an oral rinse called Peridex that is given sometimes for infections or other inflammation. I would ask your dentist if that might help. My husband had an infected tooth that was removed and he did not take antibiotics, but used the Peridex per dentist's instructions. I also remember my mother's dentist many years ago, had some kind of rinse made up that had a combo of tetracycline, steroid, and not sure what else, maybe nystatin. She only rinsed her mouth with it and did not swallow, so did not ingest the antibiotic. Both things worked. I would talk to your dentist about other options if I were you.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:05 pm

AND not take an antibiotic unless you are examined by a competent person.
I would not trust a Dr or Dentist that wrote prescriptions on the advice of their receptionist!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:47 pm

Agree with others. Ask to,be seen before taking antibiotic. Do try Peridex. It is a script item.It often works on minor infections and is not absorbed, Also, gargle with warm salt water. DO NOT take Clindamycin.

Good luck.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:04 am

My dentist doesn't give me any antibiotics unless is a life or death situation like palatal abcess , maxillary infections etc. You do not have to take antibiotics for a tooth infection . If the tooth is out and there is no more swelling and inflamation the antibiotic is not needed.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”