I'm sure it's back

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: I'm sure it's back

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:37 pm

I'm so sorry you are going through this, we all know that terrible fear it's back but this does sound more like a bad flu which can be so much worse when dealing with post IBS.
It sounds like things may be slowing down, fingers crossed all improves
NanciT

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:36 am

Still dealing with the terrible liquid D. I'm starting to feel like I want to just start the Vanco because it just won't let up and I feel so incredibly terrible. I do hope they call me soon to tell me if its c diff so I can take meds to make me feel better.

Then again, I also hope they don't call so I can just assume it's a bug.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Have you been around any people who are also sick? Did you eat at restaurants or anything like that the past few days? Add any new stuff to your diet or take your daughter to a kiddie play place where you could have contacted a D virus? maybe call your primary care doctor's office to ask if they are seeing lots of this stuff in your area.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:42 pm

Cm1619: I'm experiencing something very similar right now after taking Macrobid for 3 days as a prophylactic and dosing on yogurt and Floraster to keep the bad bug of C. Diff away. Being lactose intolerant, I should not have eaten the yogurt and since C. Diff, probiotics have been a problem for me. I think I'm reacting from too much of a (good?) thing. I'm eating bland, cut out the yogurt and Floraster, and am taking Pepto hoping the (now black) off and on water black D will stop. Even after nearly 4 years, that fear of getting C. Diff again hasn't gone away. I suppose it never will for any of us. It sounds like you are having a bad case of intestinal flu or gastroenteritis. Take care and I hope your symptoms resolve quickly.
Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Anne.
I don't like the sound of that!
It might be time you went to a Dr for advice.
Black worries me.
Could be the Pepto-Bismol but get it checked.
Roy

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:58 pm

Roy: Thanks for the concern, but I know it's Pepto. It always turns my "da kine" (as they say here for something icky instead of naming it) black. It's back to normal color now. It only turns black when I take Pepto.
Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Glad your improving.
I suppose a stomach that can cope with Poi can cope with anything!
Love the local language.
I hope young people keep it alive.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm

Just a quick update. Got fluids again this morning and felt a lot better after that and the anti nausea meds they gave me. I haven't had any D since 9am this morning so it's been 8 hours since any BM or D. I'm grateful for that. I still feel really tired and achy but no fever. I'm thinking more and more that it's a bug. If it were c diff I think things would be just continuing to get worse.

Still no call from my doctor with results :( I will relax once that comes in.

My daughter had a loss of appetite for about 3 days then one day of icky D that looked suspect but she only had 2-3 bouts of it in a one day period. Nothing over night. She was fussy though. Doctor in the ER said her immune system is probably a million times stronger than mine since she's so young(15 months) and mines so bad because of recovering from c diff. It's the only explanation I have so far.

Anne- I'm sorry you're going through something similar. Have you seen a doctor yet? My biggest concern was how quickly I was getting dehydrated.

I do hope tonight goes well. I was having this same hope yesterday until night fell then I was up all night with the D. My neighbor's that helped me said my lips and face were white and it really scared them. I've got color again though.

Now I wait on that darn c diff test.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:18 pm

That's not C diff. It sounds like your daughter caught a virus and you got it from her. Stop worrying about the C diff test. I would call your doctor in the morning to ask if he wants you to take the vanco as a prophylactic to guard against relapse since your poor gut just took a beating, or if he wants you to just hold on to it in case something develops.

And I still think you should ask for a referral to a psychiatrist for the anxiety. As miserable as it is making you, it's possibly making your support group more miserable.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:36 pm

It sure sounds like a bug to me. I'm pretty sure mine is too since my husband has also been experiencing gastric issues. Dehydration can be serious. Keep water handy at all times, especially when experiencing D. It sounds like you are starting to recover. I don't know how long it's been since you had active C. Diff, but I know the constant worry about it returning does eventually fade with time. Anxiety is a large part of the recovery process. I am a pretty easy going person (most of the time), but I had bad anxiety attacks in early recovery. My doctor referred me to a psychologist and she thought a mild anxiety med would help (and it does). That might be something you'll want to look into. Having a baby probably amps up the anxiety level too. I hope you start feeling better soon and a negative on the test should ease your mind. As far as your question if I've seen a doctor - I try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. I have a doctor for every orifice and organ (it happens when you get to be my age) so I make do, unless I think it's serious. I wish you a speedy recovery and a negative test result.
Aloha nui loa,
Anne

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 pm

Amyc- thank you for your suggestions on the physiatrist. I've actually already been seeing one and have been given meds.

So, if this was just a bug, am I at a high risk for a relapse now? I'd really rather not take the Vanco if I don't have a positive result. Isn't that a bad idea?

I guess I'll keep on with my probiotics and yogurt to heal back my gut and pray that this whole ordeal doesn't cause a relapse. Have there been posters here that had that happen?

Anne- it's been 4 months since my bout(and only bout) with c diff. I'm glad some anxiety meds are helping with you! They help me too but this week has been a major set back! I sure hope you're back to feeling better as well!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:37 pm

The vanco question is for your doctor. I honestly don't have an opinion, but he has been in charge of your care for months, so would be able to give you a better answer.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:29 am

Thanks Amyc, I would have never thought to ask about taking it until you mentioned it. I am going in for a follow up tomorrow with my regular doctor who will most likely blame this all on IBS and send me out. Still dealing with the liquid D but no longer feeling dehydrated yay!

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Hello all. Just an update. All of my test results came back negative. I got tested for a bunch of different pathogens and what not aside from just c diff. The c diff test was a little different this time on my results. Usually it just says "c diff negative PCR". This time it read "Negative for toxigenic C difficile by amplified probe method". Is this the same method as PCR? Not that it matters to me!

Still feeling off and weak. Lost a ton of weight again so here we go again on the weight gain train.....

Took me 4 months to get where I was so I'm hoping this time around I can gain it back faster than that. So incredibly frustrating.

I'm going to keep up with probiotics and Kefir to make sure I get my gut healthy again to avoid any possible relapse.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 pm

Good news !! So glad test were negative , and yes i think it was a PCR test. Hopefully you get relief of symptoms soon.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”