I'm sure it's back

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

I'm sure it's back

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 am

I am so upset! I'm sure the beast is back after 4 months free!

I was tested Wednesday morning for c diff and just found out it was negative yesterday. Within hours of getting my happy results liquid D came on full force. 6-7 times. Then no D for the rest of the day. But as the day went on I felt feverish and didn't eat really much of anything.

I just woke at 1am with more explosive watery D. Twice now.

I suppose I'll be making a trip to the doctor in the morning.

Is there ANY hope that this could just be a stomach bug since I have no pain like I did with c diff? I'm just achy and no appetite.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: I'm sure it's back

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:42 am

Sorry you are feeling so unwell , hope it's just a common bug or a bad IBS flare. Maybe tomorrow things will firm up. Stay on a bland diet until things settle and drink lots of liquids to avoid dehydration : plain water , or you can look for smart water , coconut water ( for electrolytes), bone broth , peppermint tea etc. If D doesn't get any better you'll have to go to ER to get some iv fluids.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:29 am

This is feeling more like a bug as the night goes on. No fever but massive body aches. The D is complete water w no c diff smell. No M. But I've gone 4 times now over night.

At what point should I consider getting fluids? I went 8 days with non stop diarrhea when I had c diff before going in.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:48 am

If you are having several bouts of D per day or if it becomes unstoppable , if you are vomiting every sip of water or if you are having the symptoms of dehydration : extreme thirst,low blood pressure,rapid heartbeat,rapid breathing,no tears when crying,fever,dry skin. Trust me , you will know when it's time to go to ER!
You can also ask for bloodwork and more stool tests : another Cdiff test for your peace of mind if you feel that Cdiff still lingers , parasites and other pathogens.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 am

Thank you Georgina. I'm going to urgent care now so I can get fluids and another c diff test done. This has been a little different than c diff bc it's profuse watery D w no smell and no pain. I'm going to do the test anyway to ease my mind and to get some fluids. I feel terrible!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:08 am

I had a bug in March and went to ER. It was not c diff. They ran all the tests for other pathogens, parasites, and even one for GI virus. Hopefully, it is a virus, but do check for other bacteria besides c difficile.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 pm

UPDATE:
Spent the morning at Kaiser urgent care. Got two bags of fluid and am still experiencing straight liquid diarrhea. No blood, no M, no pain, no fever. And especially no c diff smell. No smell at all really.

Blood work showed a normal white cell count and normal everything else.

My doc gave me a script for Vanco and he wants me to start it tonight or tomorrow morning if things don't improve.

With all this information am I safe to have hope that this is not a relapse and it's just a stomach bug? I most likely won't get results until late tomorrow afternoon so I don't know what to do about taking the Vanco.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:25 pm

I would absolutely not take Vanco without positive test results. Keep yourself hydrated until results come in. Just my opinion!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:36 pm

I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound more like viral gastroenteritis than a bacterial infection. Most of the viruses attack the small intestine and cause the copious watery D you are experiencing. C diff causes colitis (large intestine inflammation) with different symptoms.i have read studies in reputable journals that say probiotics reduce the duration of viral GI symptoms.

We have had a poster who relapsed with C diff after a miserable GI virus, but we have posters who made it through them with no relapse afterwards too. I can tell you that I have worse reactions to GI viruses because of my mast cell stuff, and I believe people with IBS do as well.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Really sorry to hear you're dealing with this. I'm hoping it's just a stomach bug. The negative c diff test from before and the fact it's been 4 months since you've had c diff should give you some optimism. Hope the next test is still negative and this is just nothing. Keep an eye on it and make sure you stay well hydrated. im not sure as I'm not a dr but from what I've read it's very uncommon for it to return after so long without antibiotic exposure, certain meds, or other serious illnesses. Fingers crossed for you

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I just feel miserable right now. The watery D is very slightly slowing down. It's not every time I drink now at least. I'm still going every hour or two. I'm drinking vitamin water, pedialyte, plain water and just started eating small snack like bites of banana and saltines and jello.

The last bathroom visit was mostly loose M. Maybe that means this is the end or I just don't have anything left in me.

I considered taking my probiotic but I was slightly afraid of it giving me more D. Maybe I ought to give it a try. I also have low fat yogurt so I'll try a bite or two of that later if the cracker, and jello sit ok.

I'm so terrified that this bug(if that's what it is) will cause a relapse. I've had 4 negative c diff tests since I had it 4 months ago so I hope that is hope for me.

Thank you all again for your replies. My doc says my c diff and other stool tests should be back by this time tomorrow so I will update you all.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:26 pm

I had a bad GI infection about 2 weeks ago that kept me in the hospital for 4 days. I tested negative for C. diff toxins as well as the usual bacterial pathogens, so the doctors then assumed it was a virus. I had a temp that went up to 101 the first day, and then stayed around 99.5 for 3-4 days. I did have one evening in the hospital with nonstop watery D - lost track of how many times I went that night, and the next 2 days were less frequent, but with B and M. I was kept in the hospital because even though the first night I had 3 IV bags my blood pressure stayed ridiculously low for a few days, and my white blood count was also low. Hopefully you just have a nasty virus like I had and you will recover in a few days.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm

So sorry to hear your story ReaearchGrandma. That sounds like a terrible bug! I'm curious if the recovery of stomach bugs or similar illnesses are harder when you're in c diff recovery. If this is a bug, I wonder how bad my IBS will be since it was already a terrible day to day struggle anyway.

They sent me home after 2 bags because my blood pressure was normal. In fact, it was even normal going in, before getting fluids. My heart rate was through the roof though and they sent me home with that not changing. We all agreed it was anxiety. I'm dealing with all of this with a 15 month old with me! Luckily, she's an angel. My heart rate has finally gone down after two days of it being 115 consistently. I think it goes up when I'm not feeling well.

I'm not going to lie or play brave here. I am terrified of this test result. If I can relapse 4 whole months later with no antibiotic use then I will have no hope of being in the clear in the future. It will take me at least a year to not wake up in fear every day again like these past 4 months have gone. My IBS is terrible from all the fear. My relationships are hurting and I'm just not healthy from all the worry. I pray every night that it won't come back and kill me eventually. I know that's silly. It feels so good to let that all out here. You people have been amazing.

My doctor said if my test is positive they will most likely call me with the news in the morning tomorrow. If it's not, I can try to call the office again in the afternoon. This waiting game is killing me! I just want to start the Vanco treatment already so I can get it over with but I won't do it without the positive result which I hope is the right decision.

Thank you to those that responded with words of encouragement and similar stories!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Please seek help from a psychiatrist once you feel better. Anxiety is a horrible condition, and it can ruin relationships and lives. A good psychiatrist can help you figure out the right combination of medications and therapy to help you conquer it. Primary care doctors don't have the time or expertise to design custom treatment plans, but a good shrink is a wonderful advocate.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:30 pm

I relapsed at 5 months. NOT the norm! I really don't think you're relapsing. I completely understand your thoughts though. I was there when I relapsed after 5 months. I just kept thinking well this is it. Cdiff is never leaving its out to kill me. After my second fmt I'm not sure it's gone or that it won't come back but I'm in a better place mentally. I have a 1 year old too so I get it. It's not going to kill you. You will beat it if it is a relapse. It may just take a different treatment or several treatments but you'll get there. Cdiff does a lot to ones mind but you're still here. If it was going to kill you it would have already. You will get through this as will I! I'm here if you want to vent! :)

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”