Newly diagnosed. Vancomycin reminder. Brown teeth.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Joanna
Brand New Poster

Newly diagnosed. Vancomycin reminder.

Postby Joanna » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:28 pm

Hello! I'm 43-years-old and was diagnosed with C. Diff. two weeks ago. I have been out of the hospital for three days. I had a small procedure at the hospital along with a bag of IV Mefoxin. In theory, I acquired the bacteria during my 10 minute procedure.

It has been a nightmare and I hope I'll be lucky enough that it will soon be only a distant memory. I was horrified that my Vancomycin for two weeks was almost $4000. I just wanted to remind everyone to shop around! I ended up getting it for $190 at a compounding pharmacy. It was a blessing during a rough time!!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed. Vancomycin reminder.

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Wow, I am sorry you got so sick. It's kinda hard to believe a 10 minute procedure and single bag of antibiotics could trigger something so horrible, isn't it? I'd kinda always planned to get a facelift once I hit 50, but C diff changed my whole outlook on life when I got it 6 years ago. Now I think I would freak out if a doctor wanted to take a tiny biopsy of something if it required antibiotics. I hope you feel better soon!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Newly diagnosed. Vancomycin reminder. Brown teeth.

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:32 am

Hi, Joanna,
Welcome to our group. Pls read the first forum for info about c diff and rules for posting on the site.

Glad you shopped around and got the vanco for less. Yes, even a small amount of antibiotics - including those given by IV. I had foot surgery recently and tolerated IV vanco during the procedure. I asked the surgeon for it and he agreed.

It is very late and I just cleaned up vomit from my dog so I am going to bed. Ask questions tomorrow. Our moderators are listed in the first forum, and one is usually on the site.

Again, welcome. By the way, you did not explain the brown teeth comment.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:46 am

Hi Joanna
Another welcome to the site.Sorry you ended up with Cdiff , but i'm crossing fingers that you will be among those 80% that get cured from the first or second round of meds.Usually doctors start with Flagyl , but it seems to me that you have a wise GI that put you on vanco. It costs more then flagyl but has a higher cure rate and less side effect , and congrats for managing to get the liquid form witch is waaaay cheaper!! Good for you!
Hope you get well very soon

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:54 am

I got the brown stain on my teeth from Vanco. It seems most people don't but naturally I was one of the lucky ones. It comes right off at the dentist so don't worry about it but brushing alone won't help.
CAROL

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”