wow

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
tonia
Regular Contributor

wow

Postby tonia » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am

If I wasn't so upset, I would shake my head while laughing....

Heard back from my GI this morning. Keep in mind, the only treatments this dr has done is 2 fmt, with no follow up appts and has ordered c diff tests...no other treatment, no other visits.

I was told "we have tried all treatments available. We do not know why you continue to have symptoms. Your test is negative. Please see your primary for referral to another GI if necessary". I am shocked. This dr not only does c diff, but is also focused on ibs/ibd, so, I thought, maybe, I might be able to get other stool testing for other pathogens etc, or....something...now I just feel like I have been tossed aside because I no longer am good for the research aspect that was being done. I do not want to start over with another dr as they are all crap in this area, and, I am at a loss as who to go to if this comes back.

Just want to cry...whatever happened to drs having compassion?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: wow

Postby NanciT » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 am

Tonia

I can understand what a terrible blow this is when the GI has been treating you and clearly deals with CDIFF patients if he is doing FMT's. I was in a similar situation when my GI said to me on our last visit with my continued symptoms of Post IBS. His comment to me was " You may never recover, you may have to live with this".
I was just as shocked and felt in the same situation you are in. I could not believe anyone would say that to a patient who has been so ill. I moved on to another GI. I felt I had no other choice.
That is what I would recommend for you. It seems if patients don't fall into a nice little "box" and have more complications some GI's cannot cope.
This has nothing to do with you! You are the patient working your way through this illness.
I am so sorry this happened to you but the best for you would be to move on from this one. I felt I had no option other than to do that. I still see him at the hospital because I work there, I ignore him and REFER NO ONE to him any longer.
My thought was , someday he will get ill and maybe reflect on how he treated some of his patients. Not sure if you have ever seen the movie "The Doctor" with William Hurt. Excellent film about a arrogant physician who then becomes a patient. If you have not seen it, its worth it to rent.
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:29 pm

You need to be referred to infectious diseases, so please insist that this GI do that for you. That ID doctor will be able to get you another GI. What state or region of the US do you live in?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:07 pm

I sympathize! After my third relapse, my GI doc told me I was an "exceptional case" and stopped returning my phone calls. He basically quit on me, without even telling me he quit on me. What was I supposed to do, throw myself off the bridge? But because I had found this site by that point, I knew to find another doc. I found an ID doc who let me pulse vanco, and that is what finally cured me, after 8 months of cdiff. So I agree with what NanciT and amyc say. Even if all the docs in your area are crap, there must be one somewhere (even a longer drive) that is better???

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Do see "The Doctor." It is based on a book called "A Taste of my own Medicine." It is the true story of a doctor who became a patient. Do not know if it is still in print. When he told his grandmother, "I am going to be a doctor, she said "Doctors are fine if you don't need them."

Amen!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”