All too familiar feeling

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

All too familiar feeling

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:42 am

Well, I haven't been getting any better since my major anxiety attack two days ago. I've had the lower back pain every morning, along with loose stools and a major loss of appetite for days now. I've lost all my weight again since being c diff free for 3 months. I must have lost it all in a week's time. It's probably just been about 3-4 pounds though.

I need some reassurance but also honesty. I am debating going to the doctor to get tested for c diff-once again. This will be my 4th time in less than 3 months so I'm trying to decide if I want to put myself through anymore added stress. I test negative every time. I have a 14 month old and I'm caring for her alone for the summer months so it's hard to get to a doctor.

Here's what's going on. Like I said, I've been really stressed for a somewhat good reason but mostly it's the c diff anxiety and starting a new medication(Zoloft) to help me with the stress that's causing all the stress. I know this is probably a bad bout of IBS due to stress but last time I had IBS I had zero M in my stools. This morning I went to the bathroom and it was about 1/4 M and the rest was explosive loose stools. Not watery D but close. I never had watery D with c diff anyway, just explosive, urgent, and painful. Just tons of M and loose. I haven't had really ANY M that I've noticed, in recovery until today. This time it doesn't hurt, just feels urgent like my IBS attacks. I also have no fever like I did when I had c diff and I generally feel really well like I could do a lot today if I didn't have the anxiety.

I am 3 months out!!! Why is this happening now! Also, my father-in-law emailed me yesterday completely freaking me out that c diff might come back(his wife passed away from the illness last year). That increased my anxiety a lot. I even cried!

Here's my question(sorry I'm rambling): Can really bad stress and IBS-related stress cause M in the stools?? And lower back pain? I know you can't give medical advice but wondering if it's happened to any of you and you were fine. If this continues throughout the day I'm definitely calling my doctor no matter what. I have a LO to be healthy for! Also, I'm almost sure it's not a urinary issue with the back because my urine is clear and I'm going enough and it doesn't hurt.

I was out of town recently so while I was gone I was taking a different probiotic than I'm used to and also realized that the cereal I was eating(with almond milk) had a TON of fiber in it.

Thanks all in advance!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: All too familiar feeling

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 am

Cm
Several things you mention can cause IBS. First, stress is #1 with me. Since CDIFF it is far worse than ever and the IBS is much worse. The fiber, that will really make me sick at this point, even my GI told me to go very easy on the fiber, it can be very irritating to a healing colon. You have now tested NEGATIVE several time times and you are 3 months out. This is an excellent sign.
Many of us go through this up and down cycle, it can last for months. If you have D for days and days, get checked but an IBS flare can last a few days.
Have you spoke to your GI about something for the IBS? I still take Levsin when it gets bad and it helps a great deal.
We understand the Anxiety, it can be very wearing, all the worry and fear. Sounds like you are working on that, time is what your body needs to recover.
Feel better soon
NanciT

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 am

Thank you for the reply. For whatever reason, when I'm anxious this forum always calms me almost instantly. All of you know how no one else understands.

The thing that freaked me out the most was the mucous, as I haven't seen that since I had c diff and I've had a LOT of IBS issues in the last 3 months. I'd say I have on average 2-3 good days a week and the other days in the week are bad. And I look at every single stool haha!! The things I do since c diff........

Yes, all 3 tests were negative but of course I'm thinking this one will be the positive one since I had the mucous.

I'll keep an eye of the mucous for the next few days. If this goes like my other IBS attacks the D will stop past the morning hours. I guess if I keep going through the day that will be a bad sign as well.

I did see a GI and he agreed I have worse IBS-D since the infection since I had it pre c diff as well. He gave me something to slow the gut. I think it's called Lomotil? It made me very drowsy but it worked! Maybe I will take one tonight before bed and see how tomorrow morning goes. I keep meaning to email him and ask for something else that doesn't have side effects.

Thanks again!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:30 am

If getting the test and the negative result calms you down, request a test. I doubt it's C diff but the only way to know 100% is to test. If getting the test makes your anxiety worse, don't test.

I would also consider another SSRI, because the Zoloft seems to have increased your anxiety. Just an opinion.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:57 am

Yes, I do think the Zoloft increased my anxiety but my doctor has been trying to assure me this was normal side effect and should even out and then fully work after 4 weeks. if it continues past 4 weeks she wants to talk about switching. I've been on it for a little over 3 weeks now and today am noticing a slight change. Only slight though.

Normally after seeing mucous in my stool I would have immediately called my doctor's office advice line and completely panicked but today I decided to get on this board, drink water, eat my yogurt, take my probiotic and relax instead. In the first month of my recovery I think I called that advice line 20 times, ha! I believe it's a sign the medicine is working for me but I can't be sure because you're right about it causing me some anxiety. I might give it 3 more days and abide by the 3 day IBS rule as well. I guess since it's Sunday and the office is closed I will try to just wait it out and see.

I feel so much for those that suffer relapse after relapse. Just the thought of one is making me stressed!!! I wish there was something I could do for all of you that suffer them!!!

Oh how I hope they discover a real cure soon!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Absolutely stress can cause IBS flares. There is a proven brain- gut connection. I have had IBS my entire life and it has been awful for the 3 1/2 yrs since c diff. And mucous does not have to mean c diff. It is from irritation of the bowel, and if you gave ever googled symptoms of IBS you will find mucous in the stool listed.
Antidepressants take 2-4 weeks to work. So it is good you are giving it a few more days. If it is still not working there are other SSRIs that may work better for you, including ones that address mood and anxiety. I am sure you and your dr will discuss those.
Lomotil is an old medication that is one of the first ones I ever took over 40 years ago. I haven't seen it used much but it did work back then. I currently use what NanciT does in the long acting form, since I have the chronic IBS.
And has your GI dr ever discussed the possibility of you taking Enteragam? I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it to you before.

Rita

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you Ril. I did end up seeing that mucous was a symptom of IBS. Maybe I had just not gotten it before because I was home and eating my usual foods and taking my usual probiotics. The ones at my mom's house I guess could have caused the inflammation since it started when I was there. There is also an increase in stress in the past few weeks with taking the new med. I was hesitant to take it so I think most of the anxiety comes from worrying about the side effects. I'm hoping it helps me soon. I have noticed a difference as today goes on finally in how I handle my stress. Normally I would have taken myself straight to urgent care and gotten all worked up and tested, only to find it negative 3 days later. I will follow the 3 day rule closely and monitor my symptoms and go in during the week if needed. My doctor will likely order me a stool sample without even needing an appointment, which is nice with a baby in tow. I haven't used the bathroom in about 4 hours now so seems to be my normal early morning IBS. I also have my appetite back but I'm just afraid to eat. Could those probiotics have caused that much of an issue? Nothing else really changed in my diet but like you all have said the STRESS can cause it the most I suppose! Here's to hoping my Zoloft works fully soon!

Thank you for mentioning the Entegam again. I am going to email my GI about that right now. It sounds promising!!

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:08 pm

After searching some past posts I see that some tried using Metimucil to mask the M. I might give that a go today!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Be careful with Metamucil. If I take a fiber supplement, I get cramping, gas and D. Benefiber is a little milder and there is a natural one - acacia powder. If you try one, try just a very small amount at first and see how it affects you. Metamucil also makes some wafers that a few posters say is easier than the powder.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 pm

Good point Beth! Ok, luckily the Metimucil tasted awful so I only drank maybe 1/4 of a cup. I will see what tomorrow morning brings. That's when I have my issues. I am also going to take one of my Lomotil pills before bed. That helped me last time I had bad IBS. The mucous is what seriously freaked me out this time. At least there was no blood. I pray it's gone tomorrow.

Thank you once again for always replying to my anxiety-fueled posts.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”