How to know if it is a relapse & what to do?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Dianlynn
Regular User

How to know if it is a relapse & what to do?

Postby Dianlynn » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:02 am

I'm a 52 year old female on week 2 of vanco and then I begin a taper. I'm way better. Here's my question.

I realize the BM may not be normal as you go off vanco, and I see the rule is 3 days of watery D. But then do you just go back to the vanco and do another round?

How do you know if it is a relapse?

I've searched the site but there's a lot of posts about lots of things so any of your experiences would be appreciated.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: How to know if it is a relapse & what to do?

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:21 am

From my experience, with the relapses I had the D would go on for days. Everyone is different. I also had vomiting with CDIFF and could not stop each time I had a relapse.
We have the 3 day rule listed as a guide, it is not that way for everyone and that's why it is so difficult.
I usually tell people if they have consistent watery D, call your GI. Each GI treats differently, but one thing I have learned on this site and through my own experience, what can seem like a relapse may not be.
Over treating is a mistake and I made sure each time though testing I not only had watery D, but also tested positive before treating. If you test too soon after treatment, it could also be positive, it is a fine line.
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: How to know if it is a relapse & what to do?

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:47 am

It is very hard to tell between a relapse and PI-IBS in early recovery. The 3 day rule is a good gage, but sometimes the IBS can last longer than 3 days. I absolutely thought I was relapsing about 2-3 weeks after finishing vanco, but the watery D wasn't as consistent throughout the day as with my prior relapse. Although doctors should treat based on symptoms, my doctor retested. However, she called in the script for vanco and told me to start it. Something in my head said to wait for the results. The results came back negative. If I had started the vanco again, I would have had to finish the course and start the healing process all over. You have to really listen to your body. If the stools are just loose or soft still, that is very normal for recovery. If you are having the watery D throughout the day with the urgency to go, then that is usually indicative of a relapse. My mornings were really tough for several months after finishing vanco. I would go several times loose to D and had terrible nausea. But the rest of the day would be totally fine. But, I would dread that next morning. With active c-diff, I was sick throughout the day. That was my main difference in telling the difference between relapse and recovery.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”