Frightened- venting needed.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
ramu
Regular User

Frightened- venting needed.

Postby ramu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:14 pm

I am 39 days off of vanco. I got a UTI and am on Cipro. By the feel of it, my kidney infection was very bad and threatening renal failure and I am on CIPRO. I almost waited one day to see my pcp, but the burning was so bad I took the pill. I don't have regrets because I had to prioritize. But also, my guts had really started burning about 3 days before, with gurgling (you all know the drill). So today gut feels like its full of battery acid, and I'm WD 3x today so far, no appetite, depression and anxiety.

It is amazing how I can be creating logs on 7/3 and go downhill so fast. I know the rule is wd 3x/3days. But I don't think this is going to correct itself. Cipro has a side effect of D, but I don't think that's whats going on.

What is more terrifying is that my wife has had diarrea 2/3x this week. I would be devastated if she got it, and she is showing signs. She said, "It's weird. I felt like there was an alien moving around in my guts." which is nearly identical to what I said back in November when this all started for me. She is in absolute denial, but yet her stools are getting softer and now WD on occasion. This has been a big fear for me (she's not worried at all). I have been super careful: separate bathrooms, bleaching my bathroom weekly, compulsive hand-washing (I am now going to bleach underwear and socks [saw tip from another poster]), compulsive dish washing/kitchen washing). But now I am convinced that no matter how careful you are, it can't be stopped. One cannot fight invisible spores. Its like chasing ghosts. I suspect we are going to have this together.

Has there been examples on this site of family members giving it to family members?[I know the answer is yes] How did they get over it?

To make matters worse, we are supposed to leave to drive cross country for two weeks. She wants to see her daughters, and I'm feeling like I might be able to drive across the street. She is positively bubbly and full of positive feelings, but... I don't think she's seeing the big picture of possibilities. I think if I stay she is going to go without me.

Thanks for letting me vent. I hope everyone feeling 100% and 50 years into recovery. You are all fantastic people!
Jonathan

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Frightened- venting needed.

Postby georgina » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 am

I have read almost every post on this site and never did i find one that says that a family member caught Cdiff from another.Is your wife on antibiotics too? I am fighting Cdiff since april last year and shared a bathroom , and cooked for my husband and he never got Cdiff from me , although we shared everything else : stomach bugs, the flu :)) .Hopefully is just a regular stomach bug , or a virus that is causing this. However , not sure if i can say the same about you , Cipro is a high offender , so keep an eye on symptoms and if D gets worse i'd say , go get tested as you can end up with a full blown Cdiff relapse from it.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:46 am

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I know what you mean about how things can be great one minute and downhill the next. Yesterday I had good solids and today relapsing with b, m, d with a side of frequency. Just wash hands and keep up good hygiene with the family. You're right we can't chase what we can't see. I have a 7 year old and a pregnant woman at home and I've been careful as can be so far. I'm 33 diagnosed may 21st for first bout and July 8th for relapse :-/ hang in there.
Just good hygiene.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:18 am

And of course it's Friday :(. I wouldn't wait until Monday to talk with your doctor about the D, especially since you are treating a kidney infection. I'm not sure what to tell you about your wife, but I would certainly discuss with her that she should consider taking a C diff test before she goes to visit her kids. It's unlikely you shared it with her, but why would she want to risk carrying C diff there and possibly infecting them? Not every person with C diff has the exact classic symptoms, and if you have it you are contagious, so it really would be smarter for her to test before going to see them.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:40 am

Although c.diff is infectious the other persons gut has to be compromised by something (usually antibiotics) for it to become a disease.
I have posted here for 9 years and in all that time only 1 person said a family members caught it.
Even then she claimed it was several of them and it went away in a couple of days so it was most likely another gut bug!
I will confidently say that nobody here has passed it to their partner.
Watch out for your C.diff symptoms getting worse.
Cipro is a high offender and you should not tough it out if symptoms return.
Get a Dr's advice or go to ER right away if cipro causes a relapse.

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:20 am

Hypothetical: If you have wd x3/x3 Cdiff flare, and then improve slightly- slightly formed bms, but loose, should you avoid treatment, or try to solve it naturally? I've been on 6 or 7 antibiotics since november (root canal, cdiff, uti). Vanco is a last-ditch effort and I can understand why we need to save that one for serious stuff. My gut thing right now might be ecoli or cdiff, but its something. There's a lot of heat in there.

Thanks for the post about giving it to relatives. It was comforting and reassuring, but I can't help but worry (I read them to her, and I think it helped her). I will post this afternoon with update on how I feel, mainly because this and my diary is my therapeutic outlet.

I wish everyone to be cdiff and symptom free, find peace within yourselves and moments to enjoy life!
and... I hope we are all like this cat.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... f8aa5d.jpg

Jonathan

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:13 am

No
Mostly posters are like this Elephant

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elepha ... UcGt8wM%3A

kayron
Contributor

Postby kayron » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:41 pm

I have been sick since the later part of January. It was until 2 1/2 mo later that I got diagnosed. I was treated in the ER with Flagyl/Cipro for an unknown infection. They did not do a stool test. I missed some work, but kept on going to work and my husband had to drive me. I did not know I was carrying an infectious illness. It is now July and I am on a Vaper taper plus Enteragam. During this time my family have no symptoms of the illness or the ladies I worked with did not get sick and we used the same bathroom. It is very hard to understand. I was not on antibiotics until the ER visit. I am a long time user of PPI. Undoubtedly, my system is compromised as I am having a hard time getting over C Diff. If I had been treated earlier in the correct manner, it may have turned out differently.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you Jonathan and Roy for the pics, especially the elephant dung ones! LOL!

Jonathan - So sorry you are on cipro now. Cipro is a high offender, so definitely pay attention to your symptoms. If you get the persistent watery D, do call your doctor. Prayers that you do not relapse again.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:44 am

Jonathan

Hoping your infection clears quickly and you get through the Cipro without relapse, remember it is possible. I have been on Keflex 3 times with UTI's and did not relapse and I also take a PPI( Aciphex).

Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon!!
NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:47 pm

Kayron,
You might ask your doc about substituting an acid reducer for a PPI. They are also implicated in c diff but not as much. I have acid reflux and take Ranadine - 150 mg twice a day. It helps me as much, if not more, than the PPI I took for years. PPIS are also,p implicated in osteoporosis - which I also have.

See CDI - acid reflux. There are many things
you can do such to help as not going to bed for 3 hours after eating, propping up the mattress of your bed, etc. Try them.

Keep us posted.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:16 pm

Some things that helped me with acid.
Avoiding trigger foods
Not eating so soon before bed. Bobby is right and at least 3 hours is good. Laying down so soon and digesting don't go well. Have that acid fight gravity!
Cutting out tobacco, alcohol, too many sweets
Drinking enough water. Most people don't drink enough and some I know only drink coffee and juice or soda. Water is good.
Our saliva helps us balance acid and sipping water helps to bring some down.
Getting on top of anxiety. Anxiety, stress, and worry is no friend to the stomach.
I Asked a Doctor what foods can help with it and hurt it so I could focus my diet.

I understand sometimes these things are not enough but i found it did help.

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Well, I'm at yellow wd status, and going several x/day. I am prob gonna go to urgent care tomorrow. Im in murfreesboro TN. I am hesitant to jump back on the vanco, as I just finished cipro. Can this be beat without antibiotics? I am sooo tired of antibiotics.
Jonathan

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Does Cdiff ever become vanco resistant?

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 pm

I live in Murfreesboro. Small world

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”