Surgery after a long battle of C Diff

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
jds0870
Regular Contributor

Surgery after a long battle of C Diff

Postby jds0870 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm

So I have to get my appendix out this Tuesday the 5th. I'm not looking forward to it because I'll need an antibiotic put through my IV. Thinking about it makes me want to cry. I still have horrible pi ibs. My bms lately have been all over the place. I don't know if it's from the pain I'm feeling from my appendix or c diff rearing its ugly head again. Cause I'm having some urgency too and horrible stomach pain. Ugh I'm pushing probiotics but my stomach is so weak I don't think it can fight off c diff if it comes back from this surgery. I wish it would just go away! If I hold off on the surgery my appendix could get really bad and rupture so I have to get it out. Why can't this just go away. If it is t one thing it's another. The last two years of my health have been the worst. I was thinking maybe I could follow up with some home enema's after the surgery but I don't know. All at the same time my significant other has to go to Chicago his dad has pneumonia and may not make it through this bout of pneumonia. He's leaving today...I know he has to go and I want him too. Of course his fathers health is most important right now and takes priority and it should. But a part of me is sad cause he won't be here for my surgery and he really helps keep my mind out of the gutter and helps me remain positive. And I can't go with him I'm sick myself. He's been such a good partner and friend. I feel guilty I can't be the same right now. I pray one day I'll look back and this will be the past. I just want to feel better. It's hard when everytime you get over one bump here comes a big hill to try and combat. If I'd never had c diff I wouldn't even worry about having surgery. Now I'm frozen in fear of needing an abx. I am holding fast to faith but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't wavering. Praying for everyone on the site for healthy minds and healthy bodies.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Surgery after a long battle of C Diff

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Some people who had surgery asked that IV vanco be used. Two of our moderators did that and a few others. When I had surgery, I asked the doctor if it could be done without and he agreed, but that was not abdominal surgery. I think you have to have it with the appendix, but ask anyway. I don't think doing home FMT enemas right after your surgery would be wise. You need time to heal and it is in the intestinal area. If the surgery were on a different part of the body, that might be different. You should call whoever treated you for the c diff - GI or ID and ask about the antibiotic and what to do.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Oh JDS...I am so sorry!!! I agree with Beth and would ask about the IV Vanco. Often they will give that along with an antibiotic when patients are Post CDIFF.
The surgery is usually straight forward and often recovery can be quick...hoping this is the case for you.
Give yourself the time to recover before thinking of any CDIFF treatments, you may not need anything.
I feel terrible you won't have the support system....that is so difficult, is there someone else that could possibly help and be there with you?
Wishing you the Best with the surgery on Tuesday and a speedy recovery!!
NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:09 am

Sorry you are dealing with this Jerri. I used to work on the surgery floor before i got sick and had lot of patient with appendectomy so i can tell you that the doctors i was working with ,never gave patient more then a single dose of antibiotic after surgery if there were no complications ( suppuration or rupture). Don't do ANY enemas after (and before) this surgery (fecal or nonfecal) , they are strictly prohibited for several weeks after surgery.Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:50 am

I'm one of the Mods who just had spinal surgery and they agreed to IV Vanco as my ATX for surgery. At first they didn't want to but when the anesthesiologist went over my CDiff history I guess they didn't want to chance it reoccuring. You really must get the appendix out so I would ask now and get that out of the way. I'm sure you will do fine, I did. Good luck and let us know how you do.
CAROL

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:52 am

Carol,
I'm puzzled about the use of IV Vanco for spinal and other surgery. I had asked if this would be possible for myself a couple of years ago when I was planning to have hip surgery (which I ended up cancelling) and the ID doctor said not a good idea; however, I can't remember why. Perhaps because Vanco doesn't address the type of surgical-site infections that can occur? I'm going to need to look into this again, possibly soon, as I don't think I can defer the hip surgery indefinitely, so I'm curious about the answer to this. Meanwhile, I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.
Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:08 am

Check with a physician but I suspect it might be because vancomycin is considered one of the antibiotics of last resort and doctors are reluctant to overuse it for prophylaxis for fear of generating more vancomycin-resistant bacteria.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:52 am

http://reference.medscape.com/drug/vanc ... cin-342573

Vancomycin can be used in joint replacement and lots of other surgery, including gastrointestinal according to medscape.

Researchgrandma is correct why the Dr's try to avoid using it.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/7/5/01-0508_article

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:56 pm

IV vanco given during surgery has worked for me twice so far. Mention it to your doctors. I asked specifically for it and both surgeons were fine with it,

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:11 pm

So sorry that you have to have an appendectomy. It is a very common surgery, so hopefully recovery will be quick for you. It makes me so angry that you have to deal with the fear of antibiotics because of c-diff on top of this surgery. Hopefully, if you absolutely have to take an antibiotic, you can go with the IV Vanco like the others have had. I'm sure you will be fine. Stay positive and strong. I'm also sorry about your situation with your husband not being there with you. That definitely makes things more difficult. As Nancy said, hopefully you have somebody else to be there with you for support.

Praying for no more c-diff and a quick recovery from the surgery.
Lisa

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:40 pm

Thank you everyone e for the support. I've been in panic mode since this all happened. I'm honestly not scared of the surgery. I'm scared of c diff. So much so that I don't even want to show. I did mention to the surgeon my long battle with c diff. He said it's very uncommon to get c diff from one dose of abx. Like I'm crazy to even think of it. I will ask about the Vanco tomorrow. I've prayed all weekend that everything goes okay. I really don't think I could deal with c diff again. I still have pi ibs bad right now. I do have family that are helpful. I will just miss him. I'm used to him just being there and everything feels better when he is. I don't even think I'll sleep tonight. Thanks again for the support. Praying it goes okay

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:05 am

JDS

Sending you positive thoughts for a successful surgery, get plenty of rest and take good care of yourself

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:32 am

It's so wierd how we fear Cdiff more then other things that are supposed to make us more scared , (like surgery)!!
Praying that all goes well with the surgery and hopefully the beast remains asleep.Good luck!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:36 am

Good luck, JDS.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks everyone for the prayers. So I had my surgery I'm home the last two days recovering. Surgery wasn't too bad...less painful than the gallbladder. I also have had kidney surgeries in the past. So all and all I feel this one to be pretty mild in the pain category. I have a question so I was constipated for the first two days which I know is common with all the pain meds they pump in you. So yesterday I took a regular dose of miralax nothing happened so I took another regular Dose in the evening. I had two bouts of d last night and one this morning and gurgly stomach. I'm thinking it's the miralax. It just scares me because my surgeon would not allow me the Vanco as my abx or along with my other abx. He didn't really seem to care or think my concern of c diff was valid. But the nurses were great and really tried to get him to let me take Vanco with no luck. But it was nice to know they cared. Sorry to talk in circles. I've just never really used miralax so I'm wondering if it's possible to still be having watery d this morning from the miralax I took yesterday. My gi didn't have me do the bowel prep with the Rebiotix trials I did. Thanks everyone. I hope everyone is enjoying summer!

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”