Waiting for Test Results

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
notheidi
Regular Contributor

Waiting for Test Results

Postby notheidi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:43 am

Yesterday I went to the ER and gave them a sample, now I'm in the waiting game. He also tested for ova and parasites. This is 72 hours now with these belly symptoms, the intermittent nausea, abdominal cramping, chills, and D + "sort of" C. Very similar to the start of my last c diff.

I'm struggling emotionally. I feel very depressed and panicky. The doctor wanted to give me something to calm down at the ER, but I drove myself and he was too worried about other people's addictions to prescribe something for me to take home. I really need it. In my opinion, the doctors are really getting over the top paranoid with prescribing certain medications and it's the people who legitimately need it who suffer. It makes me so mad. He agreed that I have legitimate anxiety, he offered me something in the ER, but would not rx it for home. In my opinion, the doctors don't even want to do a reasonable assessment to look at the patient in front of them and what would benefit from them, they've just slammed the door on prescribing certain meds. I feel that's just as irresponsible as over-prescribing.

The doctor also gave me ultram/tramadol for the stomach pain. I haven't taken it for fear of constipation but I want nothing more than to take it. I've also had an all day every day headache. Has anyone taken tramadol with c diff and was it safe? I can't take ibuprofen or NSAIDS so my only other option is tylenol. I asked the pharmacist of tramadol slows GI motility and she said no but I'm still concerned.

Then he prescribed me 10 zofran, which essentially guarantees another trip to the pharmacy after I see my GI, to get more zofran. It's time consuming to go to the pharmacy. Why don't they prescribe decent amounts anymore?

I'm sorry for my bad attitude and negativity.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Waiting for Test Results

Postby AllisS » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't consider your attitude bad or negative. You are absolutely right; there is now an insanely over-the-top knee-jerk response about prescribing legitimately needed drugs, due to the so-called opioid crisis. Rather than keep the focus on people who, for whatever reason, are drawn into addiction, and contending with them, a wide net is being cast over everyone, which ensures that many in need of certain pharmaceuticals for transient situations will be reduced to begging for them, possibly fruitlessly. I had a podiatrist refuse to give me anything stronger than Tylenol with codeine after toe surgery a few years ago, despite my telling him that for peace of mind I would like even a limited prescription for something a little stronger. Chances are I wouldn't have even taken any of the stronger script, or at most one or two pills. I was able to get the more appropriate script from my PCP, who knows me well enough to realize I wouldn't be an addiction risk. If you have a doctor such as a PCP whom you see regularly, you might see if he or she can help you out during this transient situation.

Hope you feel better soon.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:45 pm

I think you have every right to vent. You are dealing with a lot. We've all had those times. Hoping and praying your test is negative for your own sanity. I've tested so many times since my fmt I can't even count... Do they do the test at the hospital or send it out? Thinking about you!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm

Same question I guess. My local hospital tests the same day even in their out pt lab and my dr gets the results in a matter of hours. Do you know when and how you will get your results? Will the ER dr give them to you or do you have to wait until tomorrow for your own dr's office to be open? If you don't know I would call to the ER and ask. They must have the results by now. You should not have to wait. And if you are positive they should be prescribing treatment which makes me wonder....

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:29 pm

AllisS, That's exactly how I feel about the meds--something to have on the back burner just in case. Unfortunately, I've nicknamed my PCP "Dr. Ten" bc she'll only give me 10 of anything. I'm now trying to find a pain mgmt dr. The problem with me is I can't take certain meds due to GI bleed.

Susant, thanks so much for your kind thoughts.

Ril, Not entirely sure about how I'll get the results; MD said it would take 3 days; ER nurse said 24 hours. I didn't know they had a test so quick as 24 hours? Anyway it's been about 24 hours now so I can call. I'm guessing they send it out since they gave me a 3 day turnaround. But I think sometimes they have a prelim result in 24 hours. Not sure.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:32 pm

They refused to give me anything over the phone. They weren't very polite about it either.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Wow, so sorry to hear that they were rude. You have said you are dealing with pain and a lot of work place stress. Have you considered taking some short term disability leave? Do you mind saying in which state you live, and do you know what your options are with short term disability?

If you are a CNA you could probably get into an MA school pretty easily, and if you find a public accredited school you could get through with close to no debt. The MA would open doors to less emotionally and physically stressful work for you, and a pay raise. If you are an RN already you could start looking other places as well.

I hope you get answers soon, and you can PM me if you want help finding school info. There are a lot of for-profit schools out there that get people $25,000 into debt for a scrub tech, LPN, or MA certification, but many cities have public options that are much cheaper.

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:59 pm

The er I went to a while back said they will only call if positive. I'd be surprised if they didn't have results yet. I'd be livid if they wouldn't even tell me if they were back or not.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:33 pm

Keep calling!and ask to talk to an outpatient lab engineer. They are the people who actually do the testing.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:57 pm

I'm with Bobbie. Call again. And I have never heard of a hospital that sent to out for c diff testing unless it was to another hospital in their system, and they still get a 24 hour turnaround in that case- unless you are way out in a rural area.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Thank you guys for all the suggestions and for being with me through this.

IT WAS NEGATIVE!!!! YAAAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

They had also given me a CT and those results came back. I have to have a pelvic ultrasound because there's a "large mass of indeterminate significance" in my uterus. Hopefully a fibroid? I wonder if that's causing the nausea, chills, and cramping? CT also found diverticulosis and small hiaital hernia.

As far as my career, I am a social worker not nurse or tech.

I am going to glove up even at the nurse's station from now on. I just can't handle the c diff anxiety.

Now I need to follow up with my PCP to get the mass checked out.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:33 pm

SOO happy the test was negative!!! Hopefully after you follow up all will be well. I developed a hiatal hernia from having CDIFF but it was due to vomiting. I also had alot of nausea. Not sure if you have tried "Sea Bands" but if not they make be worth a try. I used them for several months.

Let us know how things turn out
NanciT

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Elated for you. I thought I'd check if you had an update on your status and I can now go to sleep knowing you are negative. Happy for you:)
Teresa_68

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:03 am

Congrats. Anxiety can cause all of your symptoms. The fibroid could be causing some discomfort, but it's most likely anxiety. I'd still look for another job ;).

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:32 am

Notheidi
Congrats on negative test results , although I kinda' knew they will be negative.Sometimes it's better to get tested , for a peace of mind.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”