Foolish eating

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Foolish eating

Postby amyc » Thu May 26, 2016 4:48 pm

So beer and tuna fish are loaded with histamine. I love them both but don't consume them often, and definitely not together. Can't combine beer and salmon in a meal either. Look up a list of high histamine foods and eliminate them from your diet, then add them back slowly to see what works and what doesn't. I can eat some of them with no problem now but still struggle with others.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu May 26, 2016 5:58 pm

Hi,
I took Clarinex today. I have some from a prescription. If they do nothing in a couple days I will get some Claritin or the generic form and try that....
I will be careful with my diet - try to avoid this again, once it's resolved....
My friend reminded my the night before this episode started I ate a lot of popcorn. So add that to the list of foolish foods....

Today's been bad...Lots and lots of rumbling, and an almost constant mild ache....
Eating bland, drinking fresh brewed ginger tea with a chamomile tea bag. Took 2 half teaspoons of pepto....
Will see my GI tomorrow....
Scott

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu May 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Scott,
For me, histamine foods has had no bearing on my gut. I think that is an individual issue and one you have to find out by trial and error. I have found the foods that are the more usual culprits with recovery and PI IBS are roughage, fried foods, dairy, sweets and of course alcohol. I also agonized over traveling when at my worst because it takes me away from easy access to a bathroom and I think you'll find that it is a common source of anxiety among IBS (and c diff) sufferers.
As usual, I totally agree with Nanci and Lisa. To this day, 3 1/2 years later, there are still mornings where I have multiple bathroom visits, even taking Enteragam, and then am fine a bit later.
Rest assured if you are taking a low dose of Xanax my dr told me it takes a lot to become addicted. If that is a concern and you feel you need it talk to your dr about a safe amount so you can help get your anxiety under better control so that it doesn't affect your gut.
Hang in there!
Rita

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Do you think that going to your GI with these mild symptoms is a good idea?
In future you might have symptoms that really need a Drs intervention and the story about a boy that cried wolf springs to mind!
GI visits are for severe symptoms not for things that are self inflicted and will resolve in a few days.
If you are truthfull about your intake over the last few days your GI will not be sympathetic!
If you dont tell him the truth you might be put on a course of treatment that causes more harm than good.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu May 26, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi,
I have Xanax .25.... My Doc. told me it is a low dose...I will take one tonight at bed time. I have a long day tomorrow and need to feel ok...
Scott

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

If its been prescribed take it about half hour before going to bed but go to bed a couple of hours before normal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Have you asked your doctor about a product called EnteraGam? It is not a medication, but rather a medical food, that is supposed to boost the immune system in your intestines. It does require a prescription and it is for people who have IBS-D. You may want to just phone your doctor and ask about it. As Roy mentioned, it doesn't require a GI visit. I am lucky that I can just e-mail my GI my questions or call him. I would suggest you do that.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu May 26, 2016 9:48 pm

That is a very low dose of Xanax as your dr told you. Nothing to be afraid of using. That's why he gave it to you.
I think just about everyone here is basically telling you the same thing so I won't repeat it. No sense going back and forth.
I did not see your post about popcorn until now. At some point you have to accept that recovery might be tougher than you thought AND food intake cannot be normal for a while. Ditto from me on the GI visit for this. Review 3 day rule!
Rita

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu May 26, 2016 11:12 pm

I still can't eat lots of popcorn at a sitting without suffering the next day unfortunately. Have you ever taken pepto bismol? It is like magic for me with IBS type symptoms or after dietary indiscretions, and several doctors have told me it won't mask a relapse or cause a false negative test, so if I have a bad tummy day it's my go-to.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:25 am

Pepto Bismol has been a life saver for me on occasion as well. I still use it if I get a D flare.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 27, 2016 3:40 am

Popcorn is a big no-no for me too , it comes out undigested , maybe you should stay away from it too at least for awhile. Agree with Roy , there is no point going to the doctor if you have mild symptoms , especially if you know you ate something that upsets your gut.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi Scott, how are you feeling now? I am having almost exact symptoms as you from eating bad over Memorial Day weekend. I am finally having a few ok days where I only go once in the morning. I also have anxiety issues and was given .25mg of Xanax to help me calm my gut during these episodes. I take half in the morning the moment I wake and it helps me a lot. I am letting myself take it now until my GI appointment next week. For me, it is all anxiety related. The fear of the symptoms being c diff. Hence the morning issues for me. I would not worry about the Xanax because it is a low dose. Did you end up seeing the GI? I'm curious what they told you since our symptoms seem so similar. Hope everything is better now and you're careful w the food. I hope once my stomach feels better again I learn my lesson this time not to get brave!

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm sorry, but that sounds totally YUMMMMAAAYYYY!!! Sorry u have to suffer afterwards though. :-0
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:06 pm

How am I feeling ? I have good days and bad days....
My GI, who did not mind at all that I made an appointment told me I have PI-IBS and it would take time to heal...Took blood for a bunch of tests, all were negative....
We talked for about 20 minutes. He really wants me to reduce my stress.....Good days and bad days with my mind and positive thinking as well....

ramu
Regular User

Postby ramu » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:40 pm

Another update please. Seems like you worked through this.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”